Creating Enjoyable Puzzles for Role Playing Games

Once a month, EN5ider and TRAILseeker share a system-neutral article, usually one dealing with advice for running a great roleplaying game. In Creating Enjoyable Puzzles for Role Playing Games Carl Heyl shows you how to create enjoyable puzzles for your games. It's all too easy to stop a game in its tracks, or throw off any sense of immersion. The advice in this article gives tips on creating organic, fun puzzles which don't interrupt your game. Illustrated by Sade.

To get this article, head on over to either EN5ider or TRAILseeker (depending on your system of choice) and become a patron! The article is available for both publications.

puzzles.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Some great advice! I ahve to admit I rarely include puzzles because I do tend to overthink their construction. Years ago, I'll never forget Gary's sample dungeon in the AD&D DMG (Jonathan Tweet turned it into the "Dungeon of the Fire Eye" in a Dungeon Magazine.) my players literally spent THREE HOURS of wasted time trying to figure out the "secret door" in that dungeon, and never did figure out the clue about the wood splinters in the holes! I learned there that advice about having multiple ways to solve a puzzle.

It looks awesome, i definitely need some good ideas about cool puzzles, but inside Patreon the new article isn't available yet hope It will be there soon!

edit: upss, it was my mistake, I already got the article, it's good stuff!

GlobeOfDankness

Banned
Banned
are there going to be any other 'general' posts that get filtered into the 5e section? i understand it's your site and that you have total say on what goes where, but this looks like you're trying to cram this ensider stuff into our faces when we might have already decided it's not personally appealing.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
are there going to be any other 'general' posts that get filtered into the 5e section? i understand it's your site and that you have total say on what goes where, but this looks like you're trying to cram this ensider stuff into our faces when we might have already decided it's not personally appealing.

If you're not interested in my threads, feel free not to read them. There are many other threads for you to enjoy; nobody is expected to be interested in every single thread on the boards (I'm certainly not).

The "General" prefix is simply the default one assigned by the forums when a news article is created on the front page until/unless I manually change it to something specific.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Creating Enjoyable Puzzles for Role Playing Game

You've clicked through to EN5ider or TRAILseeker, right? This is just a post telling you about it!

Are you logged in to Patreon and pledged? There's a red PDF button below the preview image.

ingeloak

Explorer
same here. the rest of the article is missing from the jpg

edit: ah, i have to pay for the articles. sadly, i have no extra money right now, even a buck. moving day approaches...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases