The Orr Group's Q2 Usage Data Also Puts D&D 5E In The Lead

It's a day of data! Hot on the heels of Fantasy Grounds supplying its usage data for the first half of 2015, The Orr Group has released its own Quarter 2 figures for its Roll20 platform! It, too, puts D&D 5E in the lead for the second quarter running at 27% of games (36% of players), with Pathfinder following up at 20% of games but, interestingly, 39% of players. I don't know if that means Pathfinder games have larger groups on average. I love charts.

The Orr Group makes the popular ENnie-winning Roll20 virtual tabletop application.

Below I've posted the short version, and the long version (the long version is long!) Also, attached here is an xls file (a spreadsheet) containing the raw data for those interested.

The Short Version
orr1.png

The Long Version
orr2.png

BoldItalic

First Post
Could it be that 5e players play in more games?

Code:
Games/Player
D&D 5e    0.96
PF        0.66
D&D 3.5   0.40

Or that 3.5e games have bigger parties?

Code:
Players/Game
D&D 5e    1.0
PF        1.3
D&D 3.5   2.5

Baumi

Adventurer
I find it interesting that there are more games then players. That means that either Players tend to play in many different Games or they are including "dead" games (no longer active or where just tests).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I find it interesting that there are more games then players. That means that either Players tend to play in many different Games or they are including "dead" games (no longer active or where just tests).

I may be missing something, but I can't see any entries in those charts where there are more games than players.

Baumi

Adventurer
Directly above the Systems there is the Games and Players Sample Size (left of the Roll20 Logo):
Games 38.515
Players 30.683

It also seems that many players play multiple Systems (Sum of all System-Players is much greater then the Sample Size).

Baumi

Adventurer
Another interesting fact (that I didn't know) is that People are also Playing Board Games on it. This must be hard to set up.

Also Board Games & Munchkin have a very big difference between Games and Players..

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Directly above the Systems there is the Games and Players Sample Size (left of the Roll20 Logo):
Games 38.515
Players 30.683

It also seems that many players play multiple Systems (Sum of all System-Players is much greater then the Sample Size).

That's just a sample size - the number they chose to check. That doesn't mean it's the total number for each. A sample is a subset of the whole used for statistical purposes.

Baumi

Adventurer
Normaly I would have thought so too, but aren't these the owners? So it wouldn't make sense only use a part of their Numbers, also these Numbers are very specific..

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Normaly I would have thought so too, but aren't these the owners? So it wouldn't make sense only use a part of their Numbers, also these Numbers are very specific..

You'd have to ask them about their methodology, but they claim to have close to a million players. A lot more than the 30K sample size..

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases