What's this about a WotC Licensing Meeting?

the_redbeard

Explorer
Fantasy Grounds, the official licensed Virtual Table Top for Dungeons & Dragons, recently mentioned that they ahd arrived in Seattle for a licensee meeting with WotC. "I just landed in Seattle for a Licensee Conference with Wizards of the Coast. Tomorrow should be fun and a great opportunity for us to meet many of the other licensees." It would beinteresting to find out who the many licensees are -- off the top of my head, I can think of WizKids (board games, miniatures), Gale Force 9 (DM screens, spell cards, etc.), n-Space (Sword Coast Legends video game), Cryptic Studios (Neverwinter MMORPG), Turbine (Dungeons & Dragons Online), although I am sure I'm missing some. Companies like Green Ronin, Kobold Press, and Sasquatch Studios, who created the three large adventures released over the last year, aren't licensees in that sense.

Speculate away!

Original post:

Attachments

• DD-Logo.png
    DD-Logo.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 3,354

the_redbeard

Explorer
Fantasy Grounds is a WotC licensee (as are Gale Force 9, WizKids, n-Space, etc.)

Of course. And the meeting could be about a bunch of different things. But a meeting of licensees is potentially a time for WotC to talk about a new license, whether to get feedback or to be respectful to current license holders before a general announcement.

I saw the post and wondered if anyone else had grist for the rumor mill.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Fantasy Grounds is a WotC licensee (as are Gale Force 9, WizKids, n-Space, etc.)

Yes, Morrus, but note that it probably has to be an *important* meeting for folks to fly in to be there in person, rather than take it as conference call(s).

delericho

Legend
My first thought is that it's probably just to discuss the next year or two of storylines. With those storylines being so important to WotC's strategy, and with them working with so many licensees, they may well want to get everyone together to make sure they're all on the same page.

Of course, now I've said that it'll turn out to be the OGL...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not sure why they'd need to have a meeting with specific licensees to discuss the OGL. What do GF9, FG, or n-Space care about the OGL? That's more an announcement for everybody *except* the licensees!

darjr

I crit!
If the OGL changes the playing field enough for these licensees wotc may want to hash a few things out with them before potentially pulling the rug out from under them.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases