Sean's Picks of the Week (0320-0324) - Adventures Week! SW, D&D, Cypher!

It started out as an accident, as many of my Theme Weeks often do. I just noticed I was focused on adventure-related Picks about halfway through, so there you go! Of particular excitement was the discovery that DriveThruRPG is now carrying back-issues of the Paizo-run of both Dragon and Dungeon magazines; I believe I can claim to have broke that particular piece of news, as a matter of fact. Add to that some Cypher system support, an Adventurer's League release, and a couple of Savage Worlds adventures full of fantasy action, and you've got scenario support in every direction. As my sign off always says, "The Adventure Continues!."

A BREATH OF FRESH AIR

Another cool adventure from Jan Sielicki (The Bridges we Burn), this one set up for any Cypher setting. Those that have played through Jan’s stuff have really enjoyed it, so anyone who’s a fan of the system should really give this a look. It’s a strong entry in what’s called the Cypher System Creator program at DriveThruRPG.

Descent into a mysterious crack in the ground and survive in an alien world beneath! This Cypher System Adventure comes from the author of “The Bridges we Burn – a Numenera Adventure” and is designed for Tier 2 characters. It takes about 3-5 hours to complete and can be easily adapted for any of the official Cypher System settings.

Discover an ancient, mysterious and gigantic machine, battle vicious foes and save-or doom an entire species. As always, the choices – and the consequences – are yours to live with.

Those who dared the Rift (and managed to tell about it) share:

“What happens below, stays below”

“Wow, this adventure was realllly weird. So I guess it was perfect for the game!”

“We… killed them all, didn’t we? And for what?” *another PC toys with a powerful artefact*

Requires the Cypher System Rulebook from Monte Cook Games.

DUNGEON AND DRAGON MAGAZINES

Forgive me while I pick my jaw up off the floor. I just noticed this – then again, it kind of just happened! Paizo posted two issues of Dungeon (84 and 85) and two issues of Dragon (274 and 275), making them available to DriveThruRPG fans. I suspect some waters are being tested, so to speak, and this a very, very exciting prospect all around. These are releases that herald the advent of the 3rd Edition era, so some serious wayback machine coolness here.

Dragon Magazine 274, Volume XXV, Number 2, August 2000

Included in this issue:

• One Roll To Rule Them All – Jonathan Tweet
  • Playtesters Confidential – Kim Mohan
  • Class Acts – Monte Cook
  • • The Mystic
  • D&D Movie: Justin Whalin – Cory Herndon
  • Legends of Sherwood – Ian Malcomson
  • • Steal from the Rich
  • • Wolfsheads
  • • The Great Greenwood
  • • Rogues & Royals
  • Indispensible – Robin D. Laws
  • Plotbending – JD Wiker
  • The Hero with 1d1000 Faces – William J. White
  • Power & Glory – Ben Bova
  • And more!

IN VOLO'S WAKE

In honor of my Belovedest Carinn‘s birthday, I am Picking an item that features the work of one of her favorite people, Monica Valentinelli (as well as Shawn Merwin and Rich Lescouflair). Part of the D&D Adventurers League, this is a set of six mini-adventures (each intended for about an hour’s gaming) for 5e fans. All inspired by the Volo’s Guide to Monsters project.

The town of Phandalin, nestled in the foothills to the east of the Sword Mountains, continues to grow since being rebuilt after the devastation wrought by rampaging orc hordes. It recently survived violent gang activity, drow machinations, and even the attention of a green dragon.

But can it withstand a new threat, bizarre but no less perilous: the fame brought by a visit from none other than loremaster Volothamp Geddarm?

Six 1-Hour Mini-Adventures for 1st-4th Level Characters.

Also included in the purchase of this adventure is a version specially converted for use with the Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop software. The converted adventure features all the text and maps from the original adventure along with cross-linking of monsters, spells, magic items, equipment, and story elements, plus the powerful rules automation for which Fantasy Grounds is known.

HEROES OF DRAKONHEIM

Looks like I accidentally ended up with a theme week after all – adventures! Today’s is a Savage Worlds series of adventures for the Drakonheim: City of Bones setting from Sneak Attack Press. You’ll probably want the Drakonheim Savage Companion if you really want to delve full-force into this interesting fantasy city setting.

Heroes of Drakonheim, a three-part adventure for Savage Worlds set in the fantasy city of Drakonheim, which can be played as a stand-alone setting or incorporated into any larger fantasy world.

In Chapter 1: Rats in the Sewers, the heroes are asked to solve a series of mysterious disappearances. They follow the trail into the sewers, find the goblins responsible, and learn that they are selling dead bodies to a shadowy group of humans.

In Chapter 2: Skeletal Society, the heroes discover that the group purchasing the corpses is a cabal of necromancers calling itself the Gray Society. In the process, they may stumble upon a nest of wights, some of the society’s storehouses, and perhaps even one of their initiation ceremonies. These encounters lead to a final confrontation with the leader of the Gray Society, who implores the heroes to end their grudge against them. The Gray Society is animating a host of undead to combat an even greater threat: a mighty force of hobgoblins and their allies marching towards Drakonheim. Without additional defenses, the city will surely fall.

In Chapter 3: Defense of Drakonheim, the heroes must protect the city from the hobgoblin army. They have several days to prepare defenses and seek out allies before the enemies reach Drakonheim. Once the foes arrive, the heroes defend the walls and lead the charge against the hobgoblin war chief.

-----
And there ends this version of Adventure Week for the Picks. Rest assured, this will happen again, probably with intent next time around.

Speaking of adventures - I am running another Freedom Squadron scenario for the "Spacement Game Guild" crew tonight. Tomorrow, the adventure of running my Royal Manticoran Navy ship, the HMS Reliant, continues as we have a ship's meeting that will evolve into a gaming party after business is done. Sunday features an all-day post-apoc Savage Worlds scenario run by Matthew Dimalanta - major organizer in the gaming community here in Denver, a board member of Gamers Giving, and a genuinely nice guy! Oh, and a great cook!

Hope you have some fun planned, because...

The Adventure Continues!

Note that I use affiliate links in all my posts as a way to generate additional revenue for my efforts; I make my Picks and other article choices, however, based on the desire to share a wide variety of things with you. Thank you for your support.

Sean Patrick Fannon
Writer & Game Designer: Shaintar, Star Wars, Savage Rifts, much more
Please check out my Patreon and get involved directly with my next projects!

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases