...D&D, Pathfinder, Tabletop RPGs
  • Morrus' Daily RPG News Updates RSS Feed

Today we continue with our apocalyptic theme. I've covered war and pestilence, and this column will be about Death, the great leveller. Everybody dies, except for adventurers, who die but get to come back via the auspices of a friendly or bribable cleric.

The current record for an RPG Kickstarter is John Wick's 7th Sea 2nd Edition, which made just over $1.3 million in about a month. Matt Colville looks like he might leave that in the dust with Strongholds & Streaming, however, having raised nearly half a million dollars in about 5 hours at the time of posting this, with a month to go!

Let's talk about a valuable lesson game masters can take from The Force Awakens and 2009's Star Trek, both directed by J.J. Abrams. Maybe you've heard of them.

From the focus on alt-history to the over-the-top gears-and-lightning fantastical, steampunk remains a compelling and entertaining genre that gains much of its life in the tabletop RPG world. As the company named for one of steampunk's greatest inspirations launches a car into space, it seemed like an apt time to take a look at some of the great genre offerings.

Mayfair Games, once known in role-playing circles for their Role-Aids line of AD&D gaming supplements and Ray Winninger's iconoclastic Underground role-playing game, have announced their acquisition by Asmodee North America. The acquisition covers all of their assets and is effective immediately.

PopTen posted a list of the Top 10 Geek Gods, and with entries like Gary Gygax, Ian Livingstone, and R.A. Salvatore, the tabletop gaming industry is well represented, joining literary luminaries like Tolkien, LeGuin, and Howard, or cinematic creators like George Lucas. It's a fun list, but who would you have included in a tabletop gaming list?

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news. Big new product announcements and reprints from Wizards of the Coast, an Old Spice-based character class, a Warhammer 40K café is coming soon, the game industry mourns the passing of an award-winning artist, and more.

Chimera in Beeston has not only become a focal point of the RPG and CCG communities in Nottingham, it has been nominated local business of the year several years running and has won that title against 'mainstream' businesses.

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding roundup! Each week we’ll be looking at a few campaigns currently running that have caught our eye as well as occasionally speaking to some of the creators about their campaigns, or looking at some of the ‘behind the scenes’ business aspects of putting together, launching, operating and then delivering a crowdfunded project. If you have anything you’d like us to cover, or questions about anything we talk about, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly.

Long available in PDF format, the 1991 Dungeons & Dragons Rules Cyclopedia is now available as both softcover and hardcover from DriveThruRPG. This collects the Basic, Expert, Companion, and Masters D&D sets (1983-85) in one volume, and is a perfect collectors' item.

The campaign that our group will be starting next week (and that I wrote a little bit about here last week) got me to thinking about martial arts role-playing games in general. I am probably by no means an aficionado of martial arts movies, or media, but I have enjoyed some Chinese martial arts films over the years (my first college roommate was/is a martial artist and fan of the movies). Plus, I am more of a fan of contemporary settings, and unfortunately the number of games that combine these two things are few. However, today I am going to talk about the Tianxia: Blood, Silk and Jade role-playing game from Jack Norris and Vigilance Press.

There's a new Drizzt Do'Urden trilogy on its way! Timeless, by R.A. Salvatore, will be released as a 432-page hardcover on 18th September for $27.99 as the start of a new trilogy set in Menzoberranzan, the Underdark city of the Drow.

Over 80 starships from various races, ranging from Class 0 shuttles and fighters all the way up to Class XVIII carriers and battleships, by way of cruisers, frigates, destroyers, liners, transports, freighters, and more! This book contains ready-made starships for use in your WOIN games (compliant with the Starship Construction Manual). Coming Soon!

In Mythras, player characters are tied to family, village, and cults and their quests change the world around them and influence the direction of society’s growth. Mythras is mythic in scope and the PCs create legends with their adventures. This review covers a newcomer’s overall impression of Mythras.

The next book (both covers - standard and special edition - shown below) is a monster book/multiverse guide called Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes. On Monday the official press release will be coming with more information. Amusingly, the books that Mike Mearls and Nathan Stewart held up in today's "Fireside Chat" said "Tomb of Foes"; fortunately these are just mockups and the book is still being worked on for a May release. More info on Monday! [5 FEB UPDATED WITH PRESS ANNOUNCEMENT]

As the cold weather in the real world continues, we continue our theme on EN5ider, the 5th Edition patreon! Avalanches, frozen bridges, mammoth warriors, winter riders, and wolves in the storm await in this article by James J. Haeck; illustrated by Ellis Goodson.

Fantasy is now much more mainstream, so it's easy to forget how influential the debut of the Harry Potter franchise was on the genre. And yet despite the blockbuster success of the franchise we never got an official Harry Potter tabletop role-playing game -- for Dungeons & Dragons or any other system.

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, and Miniatures... hopefully something for everyone! In addition to the games hitting your local store we also take a look at a few RPG PDF releases from the last week that we hope may be of interest. For more information about any of the physical products please contact your local games store.

We are unboxing the Starfinder Alien Archive Pawn Box, and taking a look inside. This pawn box includes precisely 326 cardstock pawns for use with the Starfinder RPG. The Starfinder Alien Archive Pawn Box is the second official pawn box produced Paizo Publishing for the Starfinder RPG, and not to be confused with Starfinder Core Rulebook Pawn Collection. Without further ado, let’s get into it!

Sometimes I get my themes for the weekly Picks from the most fun and interesting places. In this case, my friend Lana Smith (AKA Alana Smith Brown of King of the Geeks fame) was asking about games in which her group could play fairies and experience fairy-tale style storytelling. Since I delved into the subject on her behalf, anyway, here's the fruits of that labor. There's some very fascinating games and ideas below, great for kids and adults alike! PS - Changed the order from the original posting due to Faery's Tale Deluxe having too small an image.

Page 7 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13