...D&D, Pathfinder, Tabletop RPGs
  • Morrus' Daily RPG News Updates RSS Feed

Welcome back from the holidays, Paizo fans, and a happy upcoming new year to all! We’ve got an exciting new PAIZO NEWS ROUNDUP in store for you - once again, it’s time for a Third Party Hullaballo! I’ll get a word that sounds right eventually. Anyway, we have a great selection of third-party products here for you to fill that hole in your heart left by disappointing holiday presents. I liked horses when I was FIVE, Aunt Marilyn! Regardless; to the presses!

With the end of the year looming, it is traditionally a time for navel-gazing back at what has been done over the last year. I was proud to see that a number of my articles ended up in the round up of the top stories of the year, but as happy as I am with those stories (and the others that I have written for this site), the accomplishment that I am most proud of from 2017 is the one that gets the least amount of fan fair from the site. You may have seen tweets or Facebook posts about what we call the "UGC Program" here at E.N. World, and wondered what it means. What started as an idea to get a stable of freelance writers to augment the regular E.N. World columnists and their weekly pieces here on the site grew into what we call our User Generated Content Program (or UGC).

In a very quiet announcement made via the Steve Jackson Games announcement page, The Daily Illuminator, Steve Jackson announced that he had regained the right to The Fantasy Trip. One of the early transitions between wargames and role-playing games, The Fantasy Trip was Jackson's equivalent to the early Dungeons & Dragons books and would be the foundation upon which he would later build the GURPS rules.

Every Palladium fan probably knows the story behind 1990's Rifts—following a "small" nuclear war, the world is plunged into over 200 years of utter chaos. Then, dimensional rifts rupture the planet. All over the earth, strange creatures, inter-dimensional beings (D-Bees), cyborgs and aliens walk among men. After that, things get interesting.

Gamers who went gift shopping this past week likely came across a curious result when searching for "role-play" -- an entire category of kids' toys. Analyzing how we role-play as children is illustrative of how we role-play as adults.

Welcome to out latest 'New Releases' column. This week we're just showcasing the 'Role Playing Game PDF Spotlights' section of the column as most distributors are shut between Christmas and New Year so no new physical games will be hitting stores next week. We'll be back with the regular, full-sized, column next week to kick off the new year. I hope the column has helped you discover some new and exciting games over the last twelve months and continues to do so in 2018! Enjoy the holidays whatever you're up to and, without further ado, here are a selection of new PDF releases from the last week...

Within four years, indie RPG creator Fraser Ronald has used Kickstarter to fund and deliver three Storyteller RPGs successfully and Swords Edge is his latest creation. With Swords Edge the emphasis is sharing the narrative. It prescribes to player determined narrative, the "don't ask the GM, tell the GM" theorem, and it has a number of interesting game play mechanics to assist with this type of gaming.

One of my favorite Ferengi Rules of Acquisition says, "Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack." In the realm of rpg design, I might modify that to say, "A good adventure idea and an empty sack is worth the sack." In this case, I'm talking about grand, imaginative, thrilling adventure ideas that game masters envision for their players but, for whatever reason, never actually run in a game. A million-dollar vision that fails to become reality isn't worth much at all. This continues the early part of this review.

This week, both DriveThruRPG and I are celebrating Teach Your Kids to Game Week. After all, I helped come up with this idea back when I worked for them, and I remain a huge proponent of bringing newer and younger gamers into our beloved hobby. What follows is a collection of great games and settings designed to appeal to a younger crowd of roleplayers, engaging their imaginations while not overwhelming them with overly-complex game mechanics. Here's hoping you get some great gaming in at home with the family this holiday season!

Larry Elmore’s Sovereign Stone is once again returning to our gaming tables. Applied Vectors Ltd have acquired the license to bring the series to Savage Worlds in early 2018.

White Wolf has unveiled the new logo for the most anticipated RPG of 2018, Vampire The Masquerade 5E! "Elements of the past, present, and future combine in this new logo design by Tomas Arfert and Chris Elliott."

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! There’s a Dungeons & Dragons movie coming (again…no, again again…I explain), Magic: The Gathering releases a new values statement amid the recent community controversy, a pivotal Warhammer 40K event will be detailed in rules, and more!

Welcome to this month's Storyteller's Vault Roundup! This month we have some exciting news for fans of historical Vampire: The Masquerade gaming, as well as a couple spotlights on recent releases from the Vault.

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding roundup! This week we look at a dystopian 1980's America, the first in a series of 5th Edition monster books, a Call of Cthulhu scenario with a load of props, and a 5th Edition supplement that supplies us a bunch of ready made NPC bosses and their nefarious underlings! If you have anything you’d like us to cover, or questions about anything we talk about, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly.

Most of the marketing in role-playing publishing is a play on the expectations game. But because of the long cycle of development, that can mean it can be months (or years!) before that initial announcement of a game coming out, and the actuality of its release. You can see it in the "Most Anticipated Games" articles that come out here, around this time of year. How many times do we see games pop up on these lists while they go through their cycles of development and design?

Just in time for Christmas, you can pick up a digest-sized black-and-white paperback copy of N.E.W. The Science Fiction Roleplaying Game for under $10! on Amazon! This is the errata-ed, updated v.1.2 printing of the book.

It's official - the new Dungeons & Dragons movie is coming, and it's coming in four years - July 23rd, 2021, as announced by Paramount.

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! In addition to the games hitting your local store we also take a look at a few RPG PDF releases from the last week that we hope may be of interest. For more information about any of the physical products please contact your local games store.

This review covers the kickstarter PDF of the upcoming Mutant Crawl Classics (MCC) hardcover rulebook. In Mutant Crawl Classics you explore a mutated ruined world as a human or mutant (human, animal, or plant). In 282 black and white pages filled with amazing art, MCC presents hothouse jungles and glowing deserts filled with ruins hiding ancient artifacts guarded by mutated beasts. The game pays homage to Gamma World while providing its own twists and unique takes on a ruined world.

40 tabletop roleplaying games were nominated. 14,241 votes were cast by 5,446 voters. Now I can finally reveal which are the most anticipated tabletop roleplaying games for 2018! We have a colourful mixture of sci-fi, fantasy, horror, and more, with some returning franchises and some which are brand new to roleplaying!

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9