...D&D, Pathfinder, Tabletop RPGs
  • Morrus' Daily RPG News Updates RSS Feed

Thanks to Stan Shinn over on Google+ for this scoop! WotC held a presentation at the GAMA trade show today, in which they covered both recent D&D performance (best year ever!), some previews of Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, and a small hint towards... Spelljammer?

In another step towards the acknowledgement of tabletop role-playing games as a legitimate art form, Chris Spivey of Darker Hue Studios has announced that three museums are making Harlem Unbound, his Call of Cthulhu supplement set in the era of the Harlem Renaissance, part of their special collections available to students, scholars and other academics for study.

Back in January 2017, Kobold Press successfully funded a Kickstarter for a pair of 5th Edition books based on their Midgard campaign setting -- a World Book, and a Heroes Handbook. The former, as you might imagine, is a setting guide for GMs; the latter is a crunchy tome containing races, spells, feats, spells, and more. They've kindly sent me over some previews of both books, including the Centaur PC race from the Heroes Handbook!

Paizo is now at the GAMA trade show, demoing the new game there. See Jason Bulmahn's victory pose, below. Well, I need something to illustrate the wall of text with! Hop inside for information on Pathfinder 2nd Edition levelling, skills, feats, faux leather covers, and much more in today's daily update! All added, of course, to the Pathfinder 2nd Edition Compiled Info Page!

Burning Games Carlos Gomez Quintana, lead designer and co-writer of Dragons Conquer America, took a few moments away from preparing the launch of the DCA Kickstarter to talk to us about how the game came about and what we can look forward to. The Dragons Conquer America Kickstarter launched on Tuesday 13th March and runs until Thursday 12th April.

Usually this time of the month we would get a new Unearthed Arcana from WotC; however, this month they've posted a one-page preview of May's Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, showing some random tables associated with the Duergar. Click on the image below for the PDF!

Welcome to this month’s Storyteller’s Vault Roundup! As with the last couple updates, we bring you more exciting news as the Vault continues to expand to encompass other Vampire-related game lines.

New on EN5ider, the 5th Edition Patreon! Details on the Plane of Time, tethers, and timeslips, and the guardians of time, The Order of Chronology Devoted; along with a new Warlock Patron, the Chronomental (one of the time dimensionals which move through, around, and between timestreams, its form ever shifting between all possible variations of reality); and a Wizard Tradition, the Chrononaut (wizards who study, manipulate, and travel through the magic of Time - They are masters of the past, present, and future, aware of multitudes of possibilities and timestreams). By GM Lent; illustrated by Yihyoung Li.

Today's Pathfinder 2nd Edition news update contains a number of minor tidbits. Plus, they're still planning the Bestiary and are interested in opinions on how big it should be. All of this has, of course, been added to the ever-expanding Pathfinder 2nd edition Compiled Info Page.

Orientalism -- a wide-ranging term originally used to encompass depictions of Middle Eastern, South Asian, and East Asian cultures -- has gradually come to represent a more negative term. Should Dungeons & Dragons, known for two well-received books titled "Oriental Adventures," have another edition dedicated to "Eastern" cultures?

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! In addition to the games hitting your local store we also take a look at a few RPG PDF releases from the last week that we hope may be of interest. For more information about any of the physical products please contact your local games store.

I recently talked with a gamer who's often full of unusual, and sometimes impractical, ideas. He asked me about the difficulties of running a medieval-style low-magic D&D campaign. Lord of the Rings had to come up in the conversation, because it's the most well-known low magic fantasy setting in existence. If you take a functional rather than emotional view of the characters, in First Edition D&D terms Aragorn amounts to a seventh level ranger and Gandalf the Grey to an eighth level cleric with a Ring of Fire, and other characters are similarly low level. (I'll discuss in detail this another time.) Magic and "super-power" is immensely rare in this setting.

If you're like many other folks who have recently delved into the foray of self-publishing 5E products, you've probably quickly realised that art is expensive (actually, I dislike using that term - it's not expensive for what it is). Some people are lucky enough to have artistic talent which lets them illustrate their own products; others need to rely on the hard work of other contributors to help bring their words to life. This short article covers a few basic ways you can get your product illustrated. Welcome to a well-established community of small and self-publishers in the RPG industry!

Today's update about Pathfinder 2nd Edition! A ton of small updates covering a whole variety of topics -- critical hits, skills, spell scaling, underlying math, proficiencies and attack bonuses, and more! Dive in! All this has also been integrated into the Pathfinder 2 Compiled Information Page (which underwent some major reorganisation yesterday, as the sheer volume of information was starting to mount up!)

This is the Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone…. Mayday. Mayday…. We are under attack…. Main drive is gone… Turret number one not responding…. Mayday…. Losing cabin pressure fast calling anyone…. Please help…. This is the Free Trader Beowulf…. Mayday…. Bold explorers and brave travellers journey between the stars in Traveller the science fiction roleplaying game by Mongoose Publishing.

The Know Direction Podcast interviewed Paizo's Erik Mona and Logan Bonner about Pathfinder 2nd Edition. It's well worth a listen, but if you don't have time, here's the information I managed to glean from it. By necessity I had to paraphrase - a two hour podcast takes 5+ hours to parse this way! There's a LOT of information to unpack below, covering a massive range of topics.

In this week's Critical Role Round Up we're going to take a quick looks at what happened last week, and dive into this week's action from last night's episode.

As of this being published, you have only a couple of days left to take advantage of the amazing 33% off thousands of products on DriveThruRPG as part of the GM's Day Sale. I decided to point out some of the top-selling items that folks are grabbing even as you read this. This is flat out one of the best sales you'll ever see on DTRPG, so you want to get on that right away, yeah? It's over on the 11th!

A few small Pathfinder 2nd Edition tidbits have dropped in my inbox! I've summarised the latest below, and added it all to the Pathfinder 2nd Edition Compiled Info Page. This covers theatre of the mind play, monster reactions, PDF timing, German translations, and Pathfinder Society support for 1st Edition. (Thanks to Jerome for the email!)

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! New Star Trek Adventures, Monsterpocalypse coming back, BattleTech video game coming soon, something about some game getting a new edition that seems like a big deal, and more!

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8