// D&D and RPG News Updates
  • // D&D and RPG News Updates RSS Feed

Welcome back to our weekly look at tabletop roleplaying game, and accessories, crowdfunding roundup! This week we look a new epic campaign for Coriolis, a love story in the ruins of Chernobyl, settings for Powered by the Apocalypse and Savage Worlds, 5th edition monsters, a new urban fantasy RPG, a collection of 15 games in a single book and more gaming pins! If you have anything you’d like us to cover, or questions about anything we talk about, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or contact me directly.

John-Matthew DeFoggi described 13th Age Gorantha as "a 400+ page love letter to Greg Stafford’s World of Glorantha, one of the most extensively developed and renowned fantasy settings of all time". Rob Heinsoo's and Jonathan Tweet's 13th Age - a blend of D&D 3rd and 4th edition design sensibilities with a dash of indie storytelling - and Stafford's epic, heroic setting combine into a setting where "epic heroes battle to gain runic power to save the world from chaos." Glorantha, which dates back to the 1970s, has been published for RuneQuest by Chaosium, and HeroQuest by Robin Laws and Stafford, along with various board games, a video game, and a line of novels.

Hello everyone, Darryl here with this week’s gaming news! The National Museum of Play gets a massive donation of games from Mayfair founders, Harry Potter and Choose Your Own Adventure coming to a tabletop near you, Dresden Files coming to your digital devices, a lot of segues, and more!

Try to survive in a hostile world ravaged by centuries of sorcerous warfare and a terrible disaster. The world of Talislanta: the Savage Land is like a nightmarish version of the Dark Ages. There are no nations, no laws, and no civilization. Illiterate and ruled by superstition, you are a warrior, nomad, slaver, or refugee struggling to survive in a hostile wasteland torn by incessant warfare and a chaotic magical maelstrom known as the Gyre.

Today's Pathfinder 2nd Edition roundup is an eclectic collection of bits and pieces and little hints. A bit on the fighter, a bit on skills, and hints at a new Counterspell.

Let's talk about using cards in your role-playing game sessions. I don't mean as an alternative to task resolution systems, but as a tool for players and game masters at the table.

Goodman Games has posted a whole pile of photos of its 5th Edition conversion of Into The Borderlands. First announced in March 2017, these books were available for pre-order in January of this year. Now, the pre-orders are shipping very soon, and photos abound! This is the first in a series of "Original Adventures Reincarnated" line. (Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

The special features tables for magic items are among 5E’s most flavorful additions. These details grant even the plainest of such items a unique feel. Still, any given list of options only remains fresh for so long. Presented in this series are additional random tables, adding new details and features. In this installment, veteran writer Ari Marmell offers new origins for your magic items.

Today brings us our first look at one of the core classes -- the fighter! Jason Bulmahn delves into what we should expect from the 2nd Edition version of this classic class.

Mists of Akuma may be the Meiji – Punk post-apocalypse RPG setting you never knew that you needed. The game enlists your character in the tragic tale that is Soburin, offering a dizzying array of possible cultural hooks to embrace.

If you've read the novel Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, you'll know that amongst all the many 80s pop culture references featured therein, there is a big tribute to Dungeons & Dragons in the form of a virtual recreation of the Tomb of Horrors and the demi-lich Acererak. It hasn't been clear whether this will appear in the upcoming movie, however (or if it is, I've missed it!) That said, a press release has gone out listing all the companies which Spielberg was able to get permission from, and Dungeons & Dragons is on that list.

New on EN5ider, the 5th Edition Patreon! Stonewatch is an aging lighthouse that looms above a particularly dangerous stretch of coastline. Its lone, weather-beaten spire rises from a rocky hilltop, as if stubbornly guarding against the thick ocean mists that churn below. The lighthouse itself is manned by an elderly knight in the middle of his final vigil, and a humble village nearby provides a modicum of refuge for passing travelers.

This is my second attempt to do this today, as I had all this compiled earlier and then the internet flaked out on me just as I hit "Save". So... starting again! Today's Pathfinder 2nd Edition news update, remarkably similar to the one I wrote about an hour ago, includes Jason Bulmahn talking about game design goals, Mark Seifter clarifying some things about the new proficiency system, and Erik Mona discovering that the most popular archetype is the Archeologist! All, of course, will be added to the Pathfinder 2nd Edition Compiled Info Page!

We've previously discussed the original end goal of Dungeons & Dragons and the rising success of video in boosting the game's popularity, but the enormous success of Matt Colville's Strongholds & Streaming seems like a turning point that brought both of those elements together at the right time. Here's a few theories as to why.

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! In addition to the games hitting your local store we also take a look at a few RPG PDF releases from the last week that we hope may be of interest. For more information about any of the physical products please contact your local games store.

The concept of player agency is a central pillar of all role-playing games. It is a balancing factor against the omnipotent, omniscient Game Master. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the smaller-scale application of player agency and the role of game mechanics that negate or modify such agency.

Proficiencies are the big news for Pathfinder 2nd Edition today! We take a look at Paizo's new blog on proficiencies, and I break down Mark Seifter's daily novel (I have no idea how that guy has time to work on the game!); some of the quotes below get a little opaque, so free to skim past them unless your Pathfinder system mastery skills are strong. We also very briefly look at magic items and Resonance again.

Today I bring up a topic usually glossed over in worldbuilding for gaming: Literacy. It’s a skill that we take for granted, given that you are reading this column on a website. Literacy wasn’t always historically widespread, however, and a crafty GM can contrive clever situations hinging upon it.

Perhaps one of my odder choices for a theme week, but I do find it fascinating how many creators and fans are drawn to the idea of mice (and rats, and related critters) as heroes and villains within genre stories. I mean, let's face it, Secret of NIMH remains one of the most fascinating and well-done "not-Disney" cartoon movies of the 20th century. It also seems using mice is a neat way to get kids interested, as many of these games and products indicate. Last (but most assuredly not least), I get the impression a lot of artists just really enjoy drawing mice in cool costumes...

Welcome to this week's Critical Role Roundup. This week the Mighty Nein descend into sewers and deal with exploding rats and hatching spider eggs. We have action, new music and a lot more in this week's episode of Critical Role!

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11