10 Most Anticipated RPGs of 2013
  • The Pride Of Blue Rose

After a successful Kickstarter project, Green Ronin Publishing have put out a second edition of their Blue Rose role-playing game. Inspired by the works of romantic fantasy from authors such as Mercedes Lackey, Tamora Pierce and Diane Duane, Blue Rose was originally powered by a variant of the D20 rules that...

Read More

New Releases In Stores This Week : 26th June 2017

A rundown of the New Releases that should be hitting games stores this coming week! Board games, card games, RPGs, Wargames, Miniatures and collectible games... hopefully something for everyone! For more information about any of the products please contact your local games store. ROLE PLAYING GAMES Dresden Files...

Read More
  • 10 Most Anticipated RPGs of 2013

The countdown result of our surveys on EN World, Twitter, Facebook, and elsewhere to bring you 2013's most anticipated RPGs! To qualify, a release must be a full tabletop roleplaying game (not a supplement, setting, beta, playtest, or adventure) with a 2013 release date.

Comments 31 Comments
      Venthrac -
      Not the order I would have put them in, but there's some cool stuff there. Sort of surprised that xxxxx won out.

(EDIT - Fixed b/c of Morrus' reply so I don't spoil anything)
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Venthrac View Post
      Not the order I would have put them in,
      That's democracy!

but there's some cool stuff there. Sort of surprised that xxxxx won out.
      Spoilers, dude!
      Venthrac -
      When will be able to discuss the contents of the video?
      Morrus -
      You can discuss it. I was just being silly.
      Venthrac -
      Oh. Sarcasm doesn't really come across in forums.

So Morrus, why do you think 13th Age is so anticipated?
    1. Dragonblade -
      Cool list! About where I'd rank them, considering I backed both Numenera and 13th Age and have Edge of Empire on pre-order.
      Ajar -
      Wow, I'm surprised to see 13th Age come in first! That's really cool, and it's an excellent game.
      Venthrac -
      Give me the elevator pitch on 13th Age. I'm looking forward to D&D Next, I own every previous D&D edition and I'm enjoying Pathfinder. Why should I shell out for another D20 fantasy game? What makes it top this list?

Anyone jump in. This is genuine curiosity, not trolling.
      waderockett -
      So...I'm the community relations guy for 13th Age. I'm on a flight home to Seattle, and it was all I could do not to yell at the top of my lungs when I saw the Erik Kain quote appear. Wow.

The whole team is just blown away, and very grateful. We can't wait to get the game into your hands. (Soon!)
      Evenglare -
      I've been part of 13th age's forums for a long time. There is a reason this is my permanent game now. I love creating classes for it. Creating worlds and stories. I fell in love with the game as soon as I read it.
    1. Dragonblade -
      Give me the elevator pitch on 13th Age. I'm looking forward to D&D Next, I own every previous D&D edition and I'm enjoying Pathfinder. Why should I shell out for another D20 fantasy game? What makes it top this list?

There are probably better people suited to this than me, but in a nutshell its the alternate universe version of D&D Next. I mean the game is co-designed by Jonathan Tweet (who designed 3e with Monte Cook), and by Rob Heinsoo (who was a key 4e designer), both distinguished WotC alumni.

Its also the spiritual successor to the Rules Cyclopedia. Like that classic tome, its a PHB, DMG, MM and campaign setting in a single book. One thing its not, is simulationist or gritty in any way shape or form. So if the appeal of Pathfinder is the comprehensive rules detailing a simulated fantasy world, this game may not be your cup of tea. It really encourages a free form crazy old school AD&D style role-play and cool story over meticulous rules tracking.

PCs are assumed to be cinematic heroes. Some of the mechanics definitely take their DNA from 4e, but I know people who hate 4e who love this game, so YMMV. The game is far more rules light than 3e or 4e and plays fast and loose. No grid. DMs (and players) are encouraged to reskin, mod, and do what works for them and their game.

Of all the d20 clones out there, this is the only one that literally made me feel like a kid again discovering AD&D for the first time. That's really the highest praise I can give it.
      Pelgrane -
      A blind gamer pointed out that he or she found this unhelpful. So, here is the list in text form, lowest to highest.
      Torchbearer
      Hillfolk
      Fate
      Firefly
      Call of Cthulhu
      Shadowrun
      Edge of the Empire
      Numenera
      13th Age

Edit: Pleased and excited that two Pelgrane books are listed in this august company!
      Wednesday Boy -

I'd also like to hear the elevator pitch for Hillfolk. That was the one that I hadn't heard of before.
      Venthrac -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblade View Post
      There are probably better people suited to this than me, but in a nutshell its the alternate universe version of D&D Next. I mean the game is co-designed by Jonathan Tweet (who designed 3e with Monte Cook), and by Rob Heinsoo (who was a key 4e designer), both distinguished WotC alumni.

Its also the spiritual successor to the Rules Cyclopedia. Like that classic tome, its a PHB, DMG, MM and campaign setting in a single book. One thing its not, is simulationist or gritty in any way shape or form. So if the appeal of Pathfinder is the comprehensive rules detailing a simulated fantasy world, this game may not be your cup of tea. It really encourages a free form crazy old school AD&D style role-play and cool story over meticulous rules tracking.

PCs are assumed to be cinematic heroes. Some of the mechanics definitely take their DNA from 4e, but I know people who hate 4e who love this game, so YMMV. The game is far more rules light than 3e or 4e and plays fast and loose. No grid. DMs (and players) are encouraged to reskin, mod, and do what works for them and their game.

Of all the d20 clones out there, this is the only one that literally made me feel like a kid again discovering AD&D for the first time. That's really the highest praise I can give it.
      Thanks, that's a good summary. You have me officially curious.
      waderockett -
      Quote Originally Posted by Wednesday Boy View Post
      I'd also like to hear the elevator pitch for Hillfolk. That was the one that I hadn't heard of before.
      Hillfolk, the first DramaSystem RPG from Robin D. Laws, gives players the experience of being in a dramatic series such as Deadwood, Carnivŕle, Mad Men, and The Sopranos. The emphasis is on character relationships and emotions rather than tests of skill or combat.

"Hillfolk" is the series that the game provides, a drama of Iron Age tribal conflict. But groups can create any kind of drama they're interested in. For example, a Jane Austen book club with no prior RPG experience could easily use it to play out Regency drama using the characters from her books.

The game uses cards to determine the outcome of "procedural" scenes where the characters' skills are tested, and those are rare. There's no math during play, and some simple arithmetic in the post-game bookkeeping phase. The goal is to create an RPG that satisfies experienced gamers and people who've never played an RPG.

The game's Kickstarter resulted in the Blood on the Snow companion volume, which contains a slew of "series pitches" from several designers, including:

Jason Morningstar’s Hollywoodland, in which you play the founding figures of American film.

Kenneth Hite’s Moscow Station, drama against a backdrop of realistic cold war espionage.

Emily Care Boss' Colony Wars, taking players to Jupiter and Mars as humanity expands through the solar system.

Wolfgang Baur's Teatime for Elephants, a genteel bit of mayhem in Colonial India during the Raj.

Mark Rein•Hagen's Endure!, in which contestants and crew of a reality show are trapped alone on their island when a freak hurricane devastates the mainland...and things take a turn for the strange.
      Venthrac -
      Hillfolk doesn't sound like a role-playing game so much as it sounds like improvising a television show where the GM is the director and the players are the cast.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'd be intrigued to play it and see it in action. maybe someone will run demos at GenCon.
      Brian Engard -
      Good list overall. All worth contenders and, even if it's not the order in which I'd have assembled them, I can see how someone would put them in this order and, like I said, they're all great. Two things:

1. Something I worked on is on the list! Yay!

2. Am I missing something? Are there only 9 games on this Top Ten list? Did I forget how to count again?
      Brian Engard -
      *worthy

Dammit.
      Venthrac -
      Quote Originally Posted by Brian Engard View Post
      Good list overall. All worth contenders and, even if it's not the order in which I'd have assembled them, I can see how someone would put them in this order and, like I said, they're all great. Two things:

1. Something I worked on is on the list! Yay!
      What game did you work on, Brian?
      waderockett -
      Hillfolk doesn't sound like a role-playing game so much as it sounds like improvising a television show where the GM is the director and the players are the cast.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'd be intrigued to play it and see it in action. maybe someone will run demos at GenCon.
      Nyerd posted actual play audio here. I believe Pelgrane will run demos at the booth.
    Comments Leave Comment