D&D Next: "
  • Licensed Role-Playing Games: Threat Or Menace?

Let's just get the controversial statement out of the way: I'm not a fan of licensed settings in role-playing games. Today's column is rolling out of a Skype conversation that I had with a friend the other day. There's a lot of cool RPGs out there that are based upon cool movies, comic books, novels and cartoons. None of them are bad, and I'm not...

Read More

ESPN Calls Role-playing "Bad Fantasy"

The parallels between fantasy sports and fantasy role-playing games have long been noted by both geeks and jocks (mostly geeks). So it may come as a surprise to some that ESPN decided to draw a sharp distinction between the two with a commercial that casts fantasy role-play in a negative light. Can't We All Just Get...

Read More

ZEITGEIST #1 (Act 1): Island at the Axis of the...

The long-awaited first part of the critically acclaimed adventure path is here, and available exclusively on EN5ider, the 5th Edition Patreon! In factories throughout the city of Flint, months of ceasless toil by mages, engineers, and shipbuilders have finally concluded. Now well-wishers from across the nation of Risur have come to witness the launch...

Read More
  • D&D Next: "Next Summer" Release Date Announced

Click for more about D&DIn a "we sorta thought that anyway" kinda update ICv2 is reporting that "Wizards of the Coast has announced a broad release date for the “Next” version of the Dungeons and Dragons rules: Summer 2014. We assume that means Gen Con."

There's also a press release: "Wizards of the Coast today announced that the highly-anticipated new rules system for Dungeons & Dragons will release in summer 2014."

More if/when I hear it! [threadcm]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?350168-D-amp-D-Next-Release-Date-Set-Summer-2014&p=6235233[/threadcm]

Wizards of the Coast Announces Thrilling Dungeons & Dragons Launch for Summer 2014

Players fight the most fearsome monster of all time in an exciting multi-platform gaming experience

December 19, 2013 – Renton, WA – Wizards of the Coast today announced that the highly-anticipated new rules system for Dungeons & Dragons will release in summer 2014. After nearly two years of an open public playtest and more than 175,000 playtest participants, the rules are complete. Players will be immersed in rich storytelling experiences across multiple gaming platforms as they face off against the most fearsome monster of all time.

“Just like a perfectly balanced party, Wizards has worked cohesively with fans, designers and partners to create the next generation of D&D,” said Nathan Stewart, Brand Director for Dungeons & Dragons. “We whole-heartedly thank all of the play test participants, whose feedback has proven instrumental in shaping the future of Dungeons & Dragons.”

The most interesting part of that for me is the line "the highly-anticipated new rules system for Dungeons & Dragons" - it seems to allude to early hints that the game will simply be called "Dungeons & Dragons" and not 5th Edition/Next or anything like that. Although the "rich storytelling experiences across multiple gaming platforms" stresses what WotC has been saying for a while now - the RPG is simply part of the overall brand which encompasses a whole bunch of things - boardgames, comics, novels, toys, possibly movies, mobile apps, and so on.

Thanks to everyone who sent in this scoop - my inbox kind of exploded, so I can't list everyone, but the first couple were Dave Rosser and Daniel "DM_from_Brazil". Thanks guys!