Your DMG Questions Answered!

I know some people don't want to read through a 300+ post thread to find all the tidbits, so I've summarized Nikosandros' scoops (so far) regarding the copy of the D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide he managed to score from a game store in Rome in Italy. I dont' know which store, but there are about 8 stores in Rome in the Wizards Play Network. You can always dive into the thread too if you feel so inclined! http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?381805-I-have-the-DMG!

I know some people don't want to read through a 300+ post thread to find all the tidbits, so I've summarized Nikosandros' scoops (so far) regarding the copy of the D&D 5th Edition Dungeon Master's Guide he managed to score from a game store in Rome in Italy. I dont' know which store, but there are about 8 stores in Rome in the Wizards Play Network. You can always dive into the thread too if you feel so inclined! [threadcm]http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?381805-I-have-the-DMG![/threadcm]

Note that the below info may not be complete. Just because Nikosandros hasn't mentioned it doesn't mean it's not there. As he says "I got the book yesterday, but it's a very hectic period for me. I'm trying to answer the questions as best as I can, but I could be easily missing things... the book isn't small!"

Unfortunately, he won't be answering any more questions about the book. "Folks, I'm sorry, but I've been asked [by the gamestore owner] not to answer any more questions. I gave my word, so don't ask me through PM either. I would also like to forestall any accusations that might arise (this being the Internet and all). I haven't been forced to do this; I've been asked as a favor and I said yes. Once again, I'm sorry if this is disappointing news, but I'm sure you'll understand." I'm not clear on why a company wouldn't want people taking about the wares it has for sale, but there you go! As a clarification - it was the game store owner who made the request of Nikosandros, not WotC!

Nikosandros has updated the above: "Yes, the owner of the store contacted me, but it was WotC who asked him to relay the request to me." So yes, it sounds like it is WotC who is asking people not to talk about their products. At least, based on the information we have at present. I've dropped WotC a quick line asking them, and I'll update this when I hear back.

DMG previews: Traps, The Multiverse, Appendix A: Random Dungeons,Wondrous Items, Creating a New Race, Building NPCs, Magic Items Table, Villainous Classes, Table of Contents, Firearms, Explosives & Alien Tech, Eye/Hand of Vecna & Orbs of Dragonkind, Magic Rings, Figurines of Wondrous Power, Deck of Many Things

• Aasimar racial spells: They have light as cantrip. At 3rd level they get lesser restoration once per long rest. At 5th level they get daylight.
  • Rest options: I quickly glanced through the customization options and I've noticed that they are very brief. For example, under the rest options, it merely says that you can make short rest 5 minutes and long rest 1 hour, but there is little discussion of the ramifications.
  • Spell points: You get a number of spell points (and the maximum level that you can cast) depending on your level. You get 4 at 1st level, 6 at 2nd, 14 at 3rd, 64 at 10th level and 133 at 20th level. You can only cast a spell of each level per day at 6ht and above, no matter how many points you have. Paladins and rangers halve their level and eldritch knights and arcane tricksters use one third of their level. A 1st level spell costs 2 points, 3 at 3rd, and then 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11 at 9th level. [Update - the spell progression is actually [2-3-5-6-7-9-10-11-13].
  • New classes & monsters as PCs: No. There is some short advice on how to change classes and how to make new sub-races (eladrin given as an example) and new races (asimar as an example).
  • Oathbreakers, Blackguards, Anti-Paladins: Oathbreaker paladin and the Death domain are offered as villainous character options. From the description, I would say that Oathbreaker covers blackguard and antipaladin.
  • Downtime: There are rules for recurring expenses, crafting magical items, building a stronghold, running a business, carousing, selling magic items, gaining renown, performing sacred rites, sowing rumors and training to gain levels. There are some suggestions to create further downtime activities.
  • Domains: As far as I can see, there are no domains rules.
  • Tactical combat: There are rules for using squares and hexes which include flanking, more precise rules for cover and facing (the 1-2 diagonal optional rule is also present). Specific combat options that are offered are: climbing on a bigger creature, disarming, marking, overrunning, shoving aside and tumbling. There's also an option for hitting cover (basically the 3e rule). There is a short table for lingering wounds and rules for massive damage and morale.
  • Other campaign settings (Dragonlance, Greyhawk, etc.): Nothing more that a few mentions.
  • Player wealth level recommendations: So far, I haven't seen them.
  • Other villainous character options: No, just those two. [Oathbreaker paladin and death domain].
  • Treasure tables: Treasure tables are used according to the CR of the creature.
  • Gestalt/multiclassing: No gestalt rules or further options for multiclassing.
  • Creating magic items: The rules are optional. A character needs a formula and possibly special materials and locations (left to the DM). Common items cost 100 GP and require 3rd level; uncommon 500 GP and 3rd level; rare 5,000 GP and 6th level; very rare 50,0000 GP and 11th level; legendary 500,000 GP and 17th level. A day of crafting (8 hours of work) is worth 25 GP of progress. If the item will cast a spell, the spell must be expended every day during the crafting, but of the spell can be cast once (such as a scroll) the spell needs to be expended only one time. Multiple characters that meet the level prerequisite can cooperate, each contributing 25 GP per day and, if needed, spell slots.
  • Healing potions: Common: 2d4+2, Uncommon: 4d4+4, Rare: 8d4+8, Very Rare: 10d4+20.
  • Buying magaic items: No specific rules. Just a note that the default is that magic items are not for sale, but this can be changed.
  • Making monsters/CR: You can either start with an expected CR and look combat stats on a table, or assign stats such as HD and then look up the CR on a table. If you add character levels to a monster, the HD depend on the monster type and not on the class. Also, proficiency bonus depends on CR and not level.
  • CR math: There is a detailed table bases on combat stats.
  • Fear/horror: Ravenloft is mentioned. The Domains of Dread are demiplanes, typically reached by the Shadowfell. Fear: make a wisdom save or be frightened for 1 minute. Horror saves are based on charisma. On a failed save a character can become mad with short term insanity, long term and indefinite (reminds me a lot of CoC). Each thype has a table that you can roll on.
  • Flanking and opportunity attacks: Flanking grants advantage. No mention of OA. If you use facing, a character can only attack frontally and grants advantage to attacks from the rear.
  • Magical armor/weapons: +3 is the maximum bonus for weapons, armors, shields and ammunition. You can get a "plain" magical shield and it is cumulative with armor. The shield bonus adds to AC.
  • Marking: You can mark when you make a melee attack. Until the end of your next turn, you gain advantage on opportunity attacks.
  • Morale: Make morale checks when surprised, reduced to 1/2 HP or when the creature has no way of harming the opposition this round. Make a DC 10 wisdom save.
  • Critical hits: You can use the lingering wound table when the target is critted, when reduced to 0 HP, or when failing a death save by 5 or more.
  • Traps: There are a few pages on traps, with several examples and tables that suggest save DC and damage.
  • Elven chain: I don't remember the rules from the playtest. Elven chain is a +1 chain shirt, which automatically grants proficiency, even of the wearer isn't proficient with medium armor.
  • Horn of fog: I can't find this item.
  • Planes: The default assumption is indeed the Great Wheel, with the addition of Feywild, Shadowfell and Far Realm. There are 4 elemental planes, but the border regions (magma, ooze, smoke and ice) are mentioned. The Elemental Chaos is "around" the Elemental Planes. Oddly enough, the Positive and Negative planes are mentioned at the beginning of the section, but they get no description at all.
  • Ability options: There are rules for granting a flat proficiency with all ability checks of a certain type (str, dex, etc.). There are also suggestions about adding further abilities such as honor or sanity.

Dm_Gee

First Post
I can see why. I wasn't just saying that there is this and that. But it went into the rules of this and that. If they allowed all the rules to be posted what would be the point in buying the DMG?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I can see why. I wasn't just saying that there is this and that. But it went into the rules of this and that. If they allowed all the rules to be posted what would be the point in buying the DMG?

There's no "allowed" about it. Nikosandros is a customer; he hasn't signed any contract. He's stopped talking voluntarily, but he is perfectly entitled to talk about objects he has bought, and to tell you what's in them. What he can't do is distribute large quantities of actual text from the book, but he can say anything he wants in his own words.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Yes a shame this has been cut off, but I can understand why Nikosandros chose to accede the request. It was a lucky fluke. We got a bit of extra info early. The wait continues!

Psikerlord#

Explorer
Yes a shame this has been cut off, but I can understand why Nikosandros chose to accede the request. It was a lucky fluke. We got a bit of extra info early. The wait continues! I might have to go buy dragon age inquisition now to keep my busy.

Remove ads

Remove ads