The DMG Disclaimer Contains Some Secret Useful Advice!

In each of the D&D 5th Edition core rulebooks, there has been an amusing "disclaimer" from WotC inside the front cover. The Dungeon Master's Guide is no exception! But this one, I think, contains an actual nugget of good GMing advice.

In each of the D&D 5th Edition core rulebooks, there has been an amusing "disclaimer" from WotC inside the front cover. The Dungeon Master's Guide is no exception! But this one, I think, contains an actual nugget of good GMing advice.

[lq]Disclaimer: Wizards of the Coast does not officially endorse the following tactics, which are guaranteed to maximize your enjoyment as a Dungeon Master. First, always keep a straight face and say OK no matter how ludicrous or doomed the players’ plan of action is. Second, no matter what happens, pretend that you intended all along for everything to unfold the way it did. Third, if you’re not sure what to do next, feign illness, end the session early, and plot your next move. When all else fails, roll a bunch of dice behind your screen, study them for a moment with a look of deep concern mixed with regret, let loose a heavy sigh, and announce that Tiamat swoops from the sky and attacks.[/lq]

So that's the disclaimer. Funny, like the ones in the Player's Handbook and Monster Manual. But there's a spot of excellent - real! - advice in there. It's this bit: "...say OK no matter how ludicrous or doomed the players’ plan of action is." My own version of that bit of advice is "Always. Say. Yes." Even if it's not in your plans, or you haven't prepared for it, or it's something you never thought of (especially if it's something you never thought of), or if you know it's a bad idea. Say yes, anyway. Or at least, don't say "no". Let them try it. Think on your feet about how you can make that fun.

And "let them try it" doesn't mean "passive-aggressively discourage it while pretending to let them try it". You can give them an honest assessment of the situation, sure, but if the player wants to leap off the cliff onto the dragon's back, then let him try to leap off the cliff onto the dragon's back.

This is also known as the Indiana Jones Rule. Nobody told Indy he couldn't try something! And there's a strong chance the awesome thing they want to try to do will be incredibly good fun.

[lq]Always. Say. Yes.[/lq]

dmg.jpg

Mr0wlington

First Post
Always say yes is good, but never discount "No, but..."

My vocab is:
Yes.
Yes, and....
Yes, but....
No, but.....

Giving players agency is super important, but if a character obviously couldn't do something and their character *knows* they couldn't do it, you should be giving them option.

barasawa

Explorer
But Tiamat can't swoop out of the sky and attack! We still have an entire published adventure to attempt to stop her from being summoned back to this world to fail before she can do that!

VengerSatanis

High Priest of Kort'thalis Publishing
Always say yes is good, but never discount "No, but..."

My vocab is:
Yes.
Yes, and....
Yes, but....
No, but.....

Giving players agency is super important, but if a character obviously couldn't do something and their character *knows* they couldn't do it, you should be giving them option.

I agree. "No, but..." is a powerful phrase.

VS

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads