Wanna See Some O.L.D. Monsters?

Part of the lengthy playtest process for What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. includes a smallish bestiary with a couple of dozen iconic critters and a bunch of templates to apply to them. While this is only a playtest document, I thought it might be fun to show off some of the critters and art from O.L.D. Attached is a 66-page PDF which contains a selection of monsters and some monster creation guidelines in draft form.

Part of the lengthy playtest process for What's O.L.D. is N.E.W. includes a smallish bestiary with a couple of dozen iconic critters and a bunch of templates to apply to them. While this is only a playtest document, I thought it might be fun to show off some of the critters and art from O.L.D. Attached is a 66-page PDF which contains a selection of monsters and some monster creation guidelines in draft form.

It should be noted that every monster here will have tons more "fluff" text including longer descriptions, behaviours, plot hooks, variations, ecology, knowledge tables, and the like. Right now, it largely assumes that playtesters know what a monster is. The layout, equally, is just my basic own layout for the playtest document.

The monster creation guidelines are very much in flux, especially the XP values and the like, which is a specific area undergoing heavy playtesting right now and is very unlikely to look the same in the final book.

monsters.jpg

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Why do the dragons have equipment of "None"? I know they don't use equipment, but they should have large treasure hoards.

The likelihood is that I'll be splitting treasure (as opposed to equipment) out into its own section in the descriptive portion of the page. That's all some way off yet, though.

Khaalis

Adventurer
JIMHO, I'd Like to see an option where dragons Can use certain magical equipment. I see no reason a dragon can't use some of the items its managed to acquire over the years.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
JIMHO, I'd Like to see an option where dragons Can use certain magical equipment. I see no reason a dragon can't use some of the items its managed to acquire over the years.

You're correct; there is no reason why (or in this case, rule to say that) it can't. Anything can always use anything it's able to use, though dragons might struggle with some stuff designed for human sized/shaped creatures.

Last edited by a moderator:

You're correct; there is no reason why (or in this case, rule to say that) it can't. Anything can always use anything it's able to use, though dragons might struggle with some stuff designed for human sized/shaped creatures.

I am now imagining a dragon wearing a magical shirt, girdle, pair of pants, and pair of gloves. And wondering why the adventurers are looking at it funny.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Me too, Nergal. Whether dragons use tools depends on the style of dragon. And its hubris. I'm about to delve in to the lore of OLD dragons and see what their opinions on gear might be...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads