D&D 12 Days of Christmas

WotC has created this little video -- "Happy holidays from all of us at Dungeons & Dragons! It’s a new take on an old carol…" You're likely familiar with the original carol, first published in England back in 1780. Plus, this is where I learn for the first time that Americans say "Satyr" differently! Enjoy!

[video=youtube;xRmU1nYo78E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRmU1nYo78E[/video]

Mr. Flibble

Explorer
Actually, we Americans have no idea how to say "satyr." The pronunciation was likely chosen by throwing darts (which we also have no idea how to do).

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I think I'm incapable of not grinning like a doofus when I see a modron. :)

Actually, we Americans have no idea how to say "satyr." The pronunciation was likely chosen by throwing darts (which we also have no idea how to do).

We're American. Not knowing what we're doing is how this country was founded, dangnabbit! Some of our highest-paid financial experts are substantially rewarded for not knowing what they're doing, and it is debatably a prerequisite for elected office here to not know what you are doing. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
Neither the UK or the US pronounces it the correct Greek way (which the Latin keeps the same), in any case. Given that both countries didn't come up with their specific dictionaries to standardize pronunciations until a few decades into the 19th, it's more a matter that our common linguistic heritage is one of marbles in our mouths ("We'll accept ANY word into our language – and mangle that word with equanimity!")

Mr. Flibble

Explorer
Neither the UK or the US pronounces it the correct Greek way (which the Latin keeps the same), in any case.

I gave up trying to pronounce Greek a long time ago. It's sheer insanity for any language to accept /pn/ as a word-initial consonant cluster. And don't even get me started on mora-timed stress patterns - Japanese was more than enough of that for me!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Flibble

Explorer
I think I'm incapable of not grinning like a doofus when I see a modron. :)

That's because modrons are the coolest original extraplanar creature in FRPG history. I missed those guys.

Kamikaze Midget;647266We're American. Not knowing what we're doing is how this country was [I said:
founded[/I], dangnabbit! Some of our highest-paid financial are substantially rewarded for not knowing what they're doing, and it is debatably a prerequisite for elected office here to not know what you are doing. :)

*sigh* True. I keep forgetting that because I take the very un-American view that I should expect nothing but adequacy from myself.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases