Trapdoor Tech Signs Up Cartographer Mike Schley

Trapdoor Tech, the makers of the Codename: Morningstar electronic tools suite, has announced a new collaborative project - a "moddable battle map system" - with 5E Dungeon Master's Guide artist and cartographer Mike Schley. Part of Codename: Morningstar, it will be "a simple map building module - tile-based - with overlays that allow even the most artistically-challenged GM to create a great looking, printable map quickly."

[lq]The basic idea revolves around the design of a moddable battle map system that can be used in digital environments such as Morningstar and easily printed for tabletop play.[/lq]

Mike says of the project: "The basic idea revolves around the design of a moddable battle map system that can be used in digital environments such as Morningstar and easily printed for tabletop play. A single tile set can be oriented in thousands of different ways while maintaining the most user-friendly, readable, and if I may say so, gorgeous look possible. Plus, we're planning to create a wide variety of adventure locations so that whatever fantasy RPG system you use will benefit from a wealth of richly customizable map art like you've never seen before."

5f7af0e642a7a19fa9ce80d74eb2cc0d_large.png

Trapdoor describes the project's goal as "a simple map building module - tile-based - with overlays that allow even the most artistically-challenged GM to create a great looking, printable map quickly. To do that, we needed the best cartographer in fantasy gaming. Mike will be designing and illustrating our map tile sets. He will also be working with the design and development team to make our map builder interface simple and intuitive. We are stoked!"

[lq]...a simple map building module - tile-based - with overlays that allow even the most artistically-challenged GM to create a great looking, printable map quickly.[/lq]

Codename: Morningstar, as you probably already know, was originally designed under license from WotC as a D&D 5E toolset. When WotC ended that arrangement, Trapdoor tech retooled and launched a Kickstarter aimed at redesigning the tools for the Pathfinder RPG and other rulesets. That Kickstarter has 16 days to go, and has raised 12% of its $425K goal.

Trapdoor's Evan Newton has also clarified recently, after rival Lone Wolf Development announced plans to include D&D 5E in its Hero Lab and Realm Works software (contingent upon an open license being announced by WotC), that Trapdoor's situation is very similar -- "We're in a similar position Lone Wolf is–in that we're waiting on word about the OGL. The advantage we have is that our tools are already built and ready to release"

Zaran

Adventurer
Beautiful Maps. The problem is they need like 8000 more backers that are willing to give them 50 dollars each. It's just not going to happen.

This is neat, but is more information that should have been part of the Kickstarter from day one, along with information that some of the funds would be going to mappers.

As [MENTION=56710]Zaran[/MENTION] says, they need a staggering amount of backers, all willing to bid a not low amount of money, and in the weeks immediately prior to Christmas (sorry, but my spare cash is spoken for until mid-March). New additions now like suggesting support for the Karthun setting or a name artist are too little and too late to get the project funded. Trapdoor's "never say die!" attitude is impressive, but at this point they should just let the embarrassing kickstarter fade from memory and try again when they have actual product to sell, or just walk away.

"We're in a similar position Lone Wolf is–in that we're waiting on word about the OGL. The advantage we have is that our tools are already built and ready to release"
Which shows a shocking lack of information on Lone Wolf, as their 5e tools will undoubtedly be on their HeroLabs program, which is not just "ready" for release but is released, available for purchase, with the Windows program and iOS app.
They just need to code the actual rules. Which Trapdoor needs to do as well. Only LoneWolf only needs to do three big hardcover books to be considered to have the minimum content, while Trapdoor needs fourteen or more.

Plus, if their tools are "already built and ready to release", why are they asking for $400,000?!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Which shows a shocking lack of information on Lone Wolf, as their 5e tools will undoubtedly be on their HeroLabs program, which is not just "ready" for release but is released, available for purchase, with the Windows program and iOS app.
They just need to code the actual rules. Which Trapdoor needs to do as well. Only LoneWolf only needs to do three big hardcover books to be considered to have the minimum content, while Trapdoor needs fourteen or more.

Plus, if their tools are "already built and ready to release", why are they asking for $400,000?!

You're mixing up the two versions. They're asking for the funds to make the Pathfinder version. They have a 5E version nearly ready if the OGL is announced.

Lone Wolf's 5E tools are not ready for release. They are prepping in advance in the hope of an OGL.

They're in opposite situations. LW already has PF tools, and TD already has 5E tools. TD is raising funds for PF tools. LW has started prepping 5E tools.

At least that's my understanding.

MadAxe

First Post
Trapdoor's "never say die!" attitude is impressive, but at this point they should just let the embarrassing kickstarter fade from memory and try again when they have actual product to sell

I think it's absurd to expect them to wait until they can launch a finished product before kickstarting, but I do agree that there are a lot of problems with the kickstarter right now.

The starting goal is sky high, and while I have no doubt they deserve it and I know software developement is a long and expensive process, I suspect they looked at other softtware kickstarters end amounts and went with that. They should have started smaller and scaled up through stretch goals. Use hype to get to what they need to complete the whole package.

I also think this slow trickle of information is damaging. This may have to do with the fact that they're just getting these deals finalized as they go but that's another sign of a kickstarter begun too early. Also, I appreciate the creativity of the clues for the next announcement on their website through cryptic story but it's actually irritating if you're trying to figure out what they're offering in order to back.

I also agree that the tiers seem off, and there seems to be no benefit to backing before release in that regard. Maybe I'm wrong.

I want this to succeed but it's hard not to be skeptical of something that appears to be unsure of what it is.

Hollow Man

Explorer
I want this to succeed but it's hard not to be skeptical of something that appears to be unsure of what it is.

They know what it is, but they have a hard time trying to explain it to others, which is problematic. All of the points raised indicate they don't have good business sense, which is not a good place to be if you expect people to fund your project. It's hard to believe they can deliver.

I think they should continue to work out of the garage as their time allows, not quitting their day job, speak to others who can advise them on how to run a company (at least watch a whole lot of Shark Tank!), and then and come back to this at a later date.

-HM

MadAxe

First Post
Well the post says it is a module in the Morningstar app. but given the different levels of access I imagine it'll be a part of the "Forge" tier, which means ponying up a decent amount to actually access the map maker.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases