The Morningstar Proprietor's Guild

With the second big announcement in as many days, Codename: Morningstar creators Trapdoor Tech has announced a local gaming store program which makes it worthwhile for stores to adopt the electronic platform for in-store game play. It's phrased as an invitation for store owners to reach out. The program gives your local game store a percentage of your purchases from the Morningstar online marketplace, allows stores to offer use of Morningstar free within the store, plus some gift cards.

This is the text of the announcement:
Local game stores are the lifeblood of the hobby community.

They provide a gathering place for players to muster and socialize, a source of trusted information on upcoming titles, and a central hub for organized games and events. Without game stores, the hobby would still be relegated to the toy isle of the local department or big box store.

And, at the heart of the game store are the owner and staff. In almost all cases these folks are gamers - passionate and well-versed in the nuances of the hobby. Owning a game store is hard work, and we believe that these brave souls should be rewarded for their efforts and sacrifice. The Morningstar Proprietor's Guild exists to promote partnerships with local game stores. While still being formalized, the program has three primary components.

Loyalty. We support our local game store. Within Morningstar, players and game masters can enter the game store ID number for their local shop. Whenever, they make a purchase through the in-app store, their local game store gets a check for a percentage of the sale. No overhead, no inventory, no risks. It's dead simple. The loyalty program provides a positive incentive for store owners to support Morningstar in their establishment.

Game Night at the Store. An extension of our existing technology allows game store owners who participate in the Morningstar Proprietor's Guild to get special logins which they can share with their customers for both casual and event play. These logins provide full access to Morningstar on the user's device - but only in the store. Yes, the login is geolocation-bound to the game store. Come in and play. Getting players in the door is the focus. While the code is still under development, we believe this is a critical piece of the value proposition for game store owners.

Gifts. We are currently working on a plan to provide physical gift cards for store owners to sell. These would work just like other gift cards, but they are aimed at Morningstar users who want to buy that next great adventure or fun accessory at our in-app store. The Morningstar Proprietor's Guild has a small one-time fee which is covered by a Pledge at 7th Level. Interested store owners should feel free to contact us with questions and comments (Support@trapdoortechnologies.com). Part of Guild membership includes a seat at the table as the programs are being defined.

To all the store owners: we look forward to working with you. Please don't hesitate to reach out! To all the game store patrons: Share the campaign with your local game store owner!

Have a great weekend everybody,

Chris Matney

photo-1024x768.jpg

Adammar

Explorer
Now this sounds cool. If someone could explain how it might work? I thought the player module was free. The GM's material is tied to their account so what would be tied to the geo location? THe store gets an account for people to use material for?

Hollow Man

Explorer
There will be a free aspect. From their Kickstarter:

"Morningstar will be free to download. For free, people will be able to create basic characters (limited levels), run a free adventure, and set up a party. There will be a cost associated with unlocking full functionality for players, game masters, and game designers (i.e., the Forge) similar to the pledge levels we are running."

-HM

Adammar

Explorer
Is there pricing listed anywhere? (Besides Hollow man's quote?) Do we know if it is per device or per account? (I pay 25 bucks and I can download it on my tablet, my phone and my laptop) I don't know the apple market but $25 is going to be a real hard sell on android.

Newtonian

First Post
Nope, $25. So if you have four players, Morningstar will run you $150 for everyone.

Not true yet, Jester. Official pricing structure of the app hasn't been announced yet (it will be very soon). I know you're basing it on the pledges, but that's not necessarily where we're ending up. There's been a lot of feedback that is helping us refine our approach in general.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Not true yet, Jester. Official pricing structure of the app hasn't been announced yet (it will be very soon). I know you're basing it on the pledges, but that's not necessarily where we're ending up. There's been a lot of feedback that is helping us refine our approach in general.
Unfortunately, I believe that all this uncertainty is hurting the KS.

Personally, I don't know whether Morningstar will support 5e. I don't know if I'll be able to insert the data for my own house-ruled AD&D. I don't know how much it would cost for all my players to have access to the system. Finally, I haven't seen a demo that lets me evaluate the interface and ease of use. All of this makes me very reluctant to commit money to this project and I believe that I'm not alone in this position.

Grimstaff

Explorer
:confused:12% funded with 2 weeks remaining. Those two weeks being "the holidays". Trapdoor are plucky and ambitious, but this is like watching a train crash in slow motion.

Cheaper buy in would b nice, letting players use the app during play for free, allowing them to get handouts, see their initiative, get maps, and send/receive messages.
From personal experience I know there are two types of players: the ones dedicated to the game who would pay and the ones who are casual and happy to play but reluctant to pay. An app like this needs total buy in, and that person reluctant to buy means no one uses (and the DM might nit buy).

Having "options" like the character builder or rules being behind a pay wall is different.

Of course, that means the Kickstarters are paying *more* for the product than people would at launch, and not getting unique perks for their extra support. Which doesn't encourage pledges.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases