The Strange Recursion Design Competition

I'm a judge in a contest run by Monte Cook Games! It's a contest to design recursions for The Strange, with the prize of having your creation adapted fo inclusion in Worlds Numberless and Strange - plus a gift certificate, which is useful, but not quite as cool as having your idea in the book. The judges are myself, Sean K Reynolds, and Ed Grabianowski from io9.

More information can be found right here!

the-strange-cover-pic-1a1.jpg

I hope it's not dead in the water! But if this contest proves it, I won't be surprised. Very disappointed and sad that Monte Cook put all of this effort into a wonderful game, produced something high quality, and it fizzled. But not surprised.

But, then, I'm a bit of an old pessimist.

DarthPanic

Explorer
Well done! Such initiatives are needed for Strange!

As for how good the production and the actual game were, I do have my objections.
I am a full Strange backer, pledging more than $700 to the project - and I was disappointed. High Quality does not necessarily a good game make. If anything, it feels rushed, a patchwork of cool but unrelated art, copy-pasted Numenera text and undeveloped ideas. A lot of posh and swag, but difficult to start gaming.
If it has fizzled, it is not because people do not appreciate a good thing, it is because this is not there yet. I have gotten a lot of ideas to use in other campaigns and systems, but I do not indent to use it as it is. It goes without saying that I feel I threw hundreds of dollars down the drain.
It severely needs extra, well documented material, like this Recursion development.
Excuse my ramble, I do not intent to start a flame war or to bash the game, it’s just my personal and my group’s opinions that I state.

Fralex

Explorer
I never heard of this game before, but now I kinda want to try it. So maybe this is going to help it after all (I'm the sort of person who tends to assume that if he decided to do something, a bunch of other people probably had the same thought, too)!

DarthPanic: I felt the same way with Numenera, that it was lacking something. Fortunately, the character options book filled my emptyness. Let's hope that future books down the line will help you with yours.

Desh-Rae-Halra

Explorer
It seems cool and I like the Terms of Use, but to do all that work and not get ANY design credit takes the wind out of my sails for this contest. I'm still loving the game.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases