How's D&D Working Out For You? First official feedback survey looks at CLASSES and FEATS!

D&D 5th Edition has been out for 7 months now, with a boxed Starter Set, a free basic game, three core rulebooks, two hardcover adventures, and range of accessories. and WotC has just launched the first of its feedback surveys. From the start, WotC promised 5E would be a "living game" and that they would periodically survey the fan base to find out how the game is working and what areas need to be looked at. This first survey is focused on character classes and feats. "Future surveys will touch on other areas of the game. We’ll also launch more detailed surveys of classes or feats as needed to refine the information we gather and better understand your feedback."

D&D 5th Edition has been out for 7 months now, with a boxed Starter Set, a free basic game, three core rulebooks, two hardcover adventures, and range of accessories. and WotC has just launched the first of its feedback surveys. From the start, WotC promised 5E would be a "living game" and that they would periodically survey the fan base to find out how the game is working and what areas need to be looked at. This first survey is focused on character classes and feats. "Future surveys will touch on other areas of the game. We’ll also launch more detailed surveys of classes or feats as needed to refine the information we gather and better understand your feedback."

You can take the survey here. It can take up to about 18 minutes to complete if you answer all of the questions. But once you've done it, please do feel free to comment here and share what you think for others to read, too!

Most of the released products have high ratings when looking at consolidated ratings from fans and reviews from popular sites like GeekDad, Forbes, The Escapist, Examiner.com, The Mary Sue, Aint-It-Cool-News, Boing Boing, and iO9. The Player's Handbook and the Dungeon Master's Guide both current have 92.5%, and the Monster Manual is not far behind with 91%. The Starter Set, also, has a strong 84%. The adventures have not fared quite so well; Hoard of the Dragon Queen has only 55%, although Rise of Tiamat is more popular with 76.5%. The initial DM Screen from Gale Force 9 is unpopular with a rating of 30%, but the new one from WotC was much better received with 84.5%.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I predict there will probably be an adjustment to the moon druid. I'm guessing level 2 will be CR 1/2, level 4 will be CR 1, and then 1/3rd of level like it is.

*edit* Other commentary I made:

Ranger's beastmaster subclass seems neutered (pun intended)

I'd like to see a bump in inspiring leader and mounted combat feats. The archetypical knight is a huge one, and those two feats are way underpowered compared to other feats. Especially mounted combat because it might not come up that often (and not at all in a dungeon). I suggested a saving throw bonus for inspiring leader, and a HP bonus to the mount.

Spell sniper range just seemed too far. Our warlock got off 5 attacks with eldtritch blast, killing just about anything before it got within range.

Extremely pleased with the fighter class.

Those are things based off my experiences any way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Astrosicebear

First Post
Intersting survey.

By the bulk of questions regarding balance, it would be odd to see reprints of the PHB change power levels/feats/ class abilities.

My guess is they are looking to see if reprints should be errata only or updates for a living system.

I answered it. My few real qualms are that

1. Clerics only get one domain, and there aren't enough flavorful domain options.

2. Crossbow Sniper technically seems to let you use two hand crossbows, and combined with Sharpshooter that's just too much damage compared to other PCs.

3. Some classes' 20th level powers are feeble. Make them all as strong as the moon druid's ability to basically never die.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I feel the need to point out, if the results of this [and presumably other] survey is indeed to be taken for alterations and inclusions in a "living system" then it is imperative for those who LIKE what they see and feel of the game to get in there and make remarks!

Sitting back and saying "well I like it all/most/whatever. Nothing really needs to be said" then that vocal minorities of tech/online savy "ragers against the machine" [for lack of a better term] will have more impact/effect on WotC's future choices and decisions. The results, predictably, will be an ever-changing/-shifting game and feel moving away from/no longer be what you like.

So, get in there with the "likes" and "no need to/don't change this/that" folks!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :)

Taronkov

Explorer
So I just took the survey and I personally have a few issues.

The comparing classes set of questions is ridiculous to me. Is (class a) stronger than (class b) is poorly conceived at the least, since every class has different strengths, weaknesses and purposes. I could understand maybe(I want to emphasize maybe here) martial vs martial and caster vs caster, ie:Fighter vs Barbarian or Wizard vs Sorcerer but to compare Wizard to Fighter? Take for example the Ranger, the Beast Master is comparatively weak vs the Foe Slayer build(or most builds really), so I rated it lower when it came up even though that's not always the case.

My second issue plays right into the first. It had a statement about how if you didn't want to answer the questions with class comparison you could skip them, you can't. I tried to skip it and it simply continuously gave me the same pairing over and over, so even though I thought the question wasn't relevant and I wanted to skip it, I couldn't. I mean at least give me another thing to check, maybe a "I have no input on this question or think it's a poor match to start or even I think they have the perfect amount of balance".

And finally my last one isn't really an issue but a generalized comment from my personal experience which may or may not have any bearing on the rest of the community. The last question is about gender and I roughly understand why they want to know. However... In my old group in NY our group was made up of equal numbers of males and females if you discounted the DM. That said only the males in my group would do this survey, why you may ask? Because the females I know don't peruse forums or follow through with the newest information and may not notice something like this till it's after the fact, they also have a tendency to play for things being more fluffy and because they like it more than for optimizing effectiveness. Also gender has no bearing on any of the actual questions. I know they are trying to figure out demographics but honestly my experience is that more men are going to answer your survey even with the female players around. Hell my future wife was sitting here watching me do the survey but doesn't have any interested in doing it herself. It's not that she doesn't have an opinion, it's that she doesn't care enough or want to take the time to analyze the book enough to where she feels she can make an honest informed opinion for some of the questions. Which to me does seem like a solid reason to not do it. Again this is all just based on my experience, I'm not trying to come off as sexist or any number of other things I'm sure people could accuse me of, I'm just making an observation. That said, I'm a purple unicorn for gender...

Remove ads

Remove ads