Sean's Picks of the Week (0126-0130) - 13th Age, Dragon, RIFTS, and More!

Sorry about missing my second week into this, Friends, but I was in the midsts of flying out to (and settling in at my hosts' home in) the greater San Francisco area. I'm here running a rather epic campaign mini-series in my own Shaintar epic high fantasy setting for some Kickstarter backers (and very dear friends). Thankfully, I'm pretty well set up with machine and wi-fi here, so we're back this week with the latest round of Picks.

Amethyst: Hearts of Chaos (13th Age)

I like to sometimes find a thing you may not have seen. I think this may be one – a post-modern-Earth-clashes-with-high-fantasy kind of setting, using the 13th Age rules set.

Five hundred years after magic’s return, the remnants of our technological heritage live in the few remaining bastions—cities like ones of present day, but walled in against the encroaching magic surrounding it.

Will mankind be able to retake the planet and push the fantasy back into the realms of our imagination, able to resume our bind passion for consumerism and industrialization? Is this world better than the one mankind squandered?

Hearts of Chaos is an introductory module for Amethyst. It includes new rules and pregenerated characters for those wanting to get right into the action.

The players take the role of members of an international techan mercenary company tasked with a critical mission: Venture into a no-man’s land where few humans have been, find a rogue former colonel in lie with those born of magic, and kill him.

Dragon #367 (4e)

In case you missed it, both Dungeon and Dragon – the venerable official support magazines for D&D – have begun appearing in droves on DriveThruRPG. Naturally, the most recent issues were all about 4th Edition, but Dragon in particular goes all the way back to very beginning of the hobby. Here’s hoping we ultimately see them all up online!

Dragon #367 includes –

Sideshow by Chris Youngs: Chris Youngs talks about humor in D&D.

Epic Faerun by Richard Baker: Heroes of the Realms find new options at epic levels with these new epic destinies.

Ecology of the Genasi by Rodney Thompson: Learn about the history, society, and culture of one of the new races from the Forgotten Realms Campaign.

Intelligent Items by Logan Bonner: Only in Dragon! New rules for intelligent magic items in your D&D game.

Children of Darkness by Robert J. Schwalb: Most drow worship the spider queen Lolth, chafing under her rule, but glorying in destruction in her name.

Bestiary: Mindless Monstrosities by Greg Bilsland: New dungeon guardians for your latest adventure.

Playing Gnolls by Keith Baker: If you’ve always wanted to play a gnoll PC, now’s your chance.

Class Acts: Swordmage – Primordial Paths by Greg Bilsland: New powers and options for your first swordmage character, created straight out of the Forgotten Realms.

….and more!

Monster of the Week (AWE)

Everyone knows Evil Hat is the House of FATE, but even they love the Apocalypse World Engine so much they must play with it. Here comes a revised edition of Monster of the Week –

Monster of the Week is a standalone action-horror RPG for 3-5 people. Hunt high school beasties a la Buffy the Vampire Slayer, travel the country to bring down unnatural creatures like the Winchester brothers of Supernatural, or head up the government investigation like Mulder and Scully. This book contains everything you need to tackle Bigfoot, collar a chupacabra, and drive away demons.

In this revised edition, you’ll find:

• Character creation rules to bring your hunter to life and create a cohesive hunting team.
  • Eight simple moves to investigate and deal with monsters.
  • An easy-to-use system based on the popular Apocalypse World RPG.
  • Thorough mystery-creation tools and two ready-to-play mysteries.
  • New material including an introductory mystery; example monsters like Balkan vampires, ghouls, and spore trolls; and hunter types like the Crooked and the Spell-Slinger.

The Rifter #58 (Palladium)

In case you’ve missed it, Palladium‘s been putting a ton of their stuff up for digital sales on DriveThruRPG, including the long line of Rifter magazines.

The Rifter® is an idea factory that helps players and Game Masters to generate new ideas and keep their games fresh. It provides useful, ready to go, source material gamers can just drop into their ongoing games. A doorway to new possibilities and numerous Palladium role-playing worlds. It offers new monsters, villains, characters, O.C.C.s, powers, magic, weapons, adventure and ideas for your games. It presents new villains, monsters and dangers to battle, and new ideas to consider. Every issue has material for Rifts® and at least two or three other Palladium game lines.

The Rifter® Number 58 examines people, places and power. There are new, “official” O.C.C.s for Rifts® Lemuria that include the Lemurian Academic, Citizen, Experimenter and Healer, plus more aquatic animals of note. The Free State of Lazlo provides another unique setting on Rifts Earth, and a Nightbane® short story offers a sense of life after Dark Day. The material for Palladium Fantasy® introduces an array of dangerous beings, and the section on the Kezel and their abilities provides a new kind of superhuman that can be used in Heroes Unlimited™, Phase World® or anywhere in the Megaverse®.

Troll Lord Sale

Arguably one of the standard-bearers of the “Old School Revolution”(OSR) while also standing for class and style, the Troll Lords are the masters of Castles & Crusades, as well as Amazing Adventures Magazine.

If you’ve an interest in their rather huge catalog of products, now would be a particularly excellent time to grab some things. Until Feb 1, every item is 60% off.

~~~~~
And there you have it, folks - the latest Picks for this this last week of the first month of 2015. Now it's time to get ready for the weekend's gaming extravaganzas!

~SPF

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases