More on SWORD COAST LEGENDS: Campaign Tools & Starting Races

Some more information about Sword Coast Legends has emerged. MMORPG.com interviewed D&D's brand director, Nathan Stewart, and Dan Tudge, the president of n-Space (the video game company behind the upcoming game). They mention that the Neverwinter Nights comparisons are warranted and discuss DM tools, starting races, and other tidbits. (thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

One interesting quote from Tudge on the campaign tools is this: "The DM is fully capable of customizing experiences and significantly altering a player's adventure by changing encounters, placing traps, spawning monsters, creating quest NPCs, generating secret areas, locking doors -- all in real-time. We also have deep campaign tools that enable DMs to build near limitless campaigns for their players (more on that later!)." It's the last part that's really interesting.

Also of interest is Stewart's confirmation that "The Forgotten Realms is the universe that we at Wizards of the Coast are focusing our storytelling in for the foreseeable future", which may disappoint some hoping for adventures set elsewhere after Princes of the Apocalypse comes out.

Regarding the video game's content, Tudge says that "At launch, SCL features Dwarf, Elf, Half-Elf, Halfling, and Human races. Again, this decision comes down to our focus on quality and our team discipline with regard to scope. We are planning to release more races post-launch. I know I want to play a Half-Orc, my sons want to play Dragonborn and my wife a Teifling - so we can probably expect to see the Teifling soon after launch!"

You can read the full interview here, which includes some fascinating stuff about how "n-Space and Wizards of the Coast are very well aligned strategically". That's the more unusual, little known definition of "fascinating", of course.

SCL2.jpg

Paraxis

Explorer
This, "I know I want to play a Half-Orc, my sons want to play Dragonborn and my wife a Teifling - so we can probably expect to see the Teifling soon after launch!" , made me belly laugh.

This game looks so good, I am so excited I am actively trying to make myself less excited so as to not set the bar too high, like I do with some movies.

Mirtek

Hero
I still fear that we'll see a loot of DLCs and micro transactions to unlock these monsters and traps to be placed by the DM. The way they price the pre order levels makes this seem likely

Sigbjorn_86

First Post
Check out the portfolio of nSpace. A long list of handheld ports and licensed shovelware, including some Olsen twins games. Hopefully they have a good game in them, but I suspect they were chosen based on their ability to quickly deliver finished products.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
It sounds good, but there's reasons to be skeptical (not least among them being that real-time DMing has been a tough nut for videogames to crack in a satisfying way). So far the marketing copy is doing its job. I want to see reviews and I want to see details before I commit, but I'm cautious about licensed D&D videogames.

I do like hearing stuff like this...
Tudge said:
a DM could very easily recreate the entire fifth edition starter set campaign complete with NPCs, locations and enemies

....that level of fidelity is pretty nice, I just hope it's not over-stated (a company president's first job isn't to be accurate, after all. :p).

I also am a little disappointed to hear this...
Stewart said:
As we dive into our annual stories, Forgotten Realms will be the backdrop for those adventures.

"Annual stories"....sounds like 1 mega-adventure per year is in the mix, and FR is to be the setting for those. It doesn't rule out other campaign settings, but it probably rules out large-scale games/adventures set in them (unless those setting blow stuff out of the water sales-wise, perhaps).

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases