ICv2 Fall/Winter 2014 Hobby Game Rankings: D&D Up To #1

ICv2 has released its quarterly hobby game rankings. No surprises here - Dungeons & Dragons has taken the top spot back after several years at #2, as expected, though how long it can hold it without an aggressive release schedule remains to be seen. Pathfinder follows at #2, and Numenera, Fate, and Star Wars all make showings in the top 5. As always, the charts are based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers. This is for Fall/Winter 2014.

ICv2 has released its quarterly hobby game rankings. No surprises here - Dungeons & Dragons has taken the top spot back after several years at #2, as expected, though how long it can hold it without an aggressive release schedule remains to be seen. Pathfinder follows at #2, and Numenera, Fate, and Star Wars all make showings in the top 5. As always, the charts are based on interviews with retailers, distributors, and manufacturers. This is for Fall/Winter 2014.

1Dungeons & DragonsWizards of the Coast
2PathfinderPaizo Publishing
3Star WarsFantasy Flight Games
4NumenaraMonte Cook Games
5FateEvil Hat Games

You can see the list on iCv2. And check out the historical compilation here.

enworld_icv2graph1_morrus.jpg

Expected, but I don't think it will last long, and that has nothing to do with which system is better or more popular it is based on the volume of products published. Pathfinder puts out multiple things a month, D&D a few a year. So next quarter it will be Pathfinder back on top, unless WoTC has a surprise or two up their sleeves.

Best of luck to both of them they make fine games.
I'm still not convinced that Paizo isn't digging themselves into the same hole WotC dug in 2005/2006: RPG publishing is a shrinking market. Of course, this time around, it's obvious WotC and Paizo see the problem coming, which is exactly why both companies are trying to "build their brand" by licensing as many products as possible. That said, can Paizo continue to crank out RPG products without collapsing their own game under the weight of the ruleset? The sheer volume of content on d20pfsrd.com looks pretty bloated to me.

delericho

Legend
The Spring 2015 chart will be much more interesting.

I'd be willing to bet that the top three will remain as-is for at least two more quarters. D&D had a spike of sales with the new edition, but I don't think it will drop off immediately.

I'm still not convinced that Paizo isn't digging themselves into the same hole WotC dug in 2005/2006: RPG publishing is a shrinking market... That said, can Paizo continue to crank out RPG products without collapsing their own game under the weight of the ruleset?

Apparently, Paizo have some "exciting news" that they're not yet ready to share. (Third post down in the linked thread. Note that he says "when we announce it", indicating that the Tor deal is not that news.)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I am curious how and if they disaggregate non RPG hobby games from the same publisher. Maybe just depends on the survey taker factoring it in?

D&D has a few board games, and Pathfinder of course has a card game that comes in a GIANT BOX (saw it in RL yesterday, its freaking huge). In fact, its actually multi-part, and each part comes in a GIANT BOX.

Did I mention that it is really big?

Expected, but I don't think it will last long, and that has nothing to do with which system is better or more popular it is based on the volume of products published. Pathfinder puts out multiple things a month, D&D a few a year. So next quarter it will be Pathfinder back on top, unless WoTC has a surprise or two up their sleeves.

That's my thoughts. Can D&D maintain when it has a single product coming out late in the period?

wedgeski

Adventurer
I'm still not convinced that Paizo isn't digging themselves into the same hole WotC dug in 2005/2006: RPG publishing is a shrinking market. Of course, this time around, it's obvious WotC and Paizo see the problem coming, which is exactly why both companies are trying to "build their brand" by licensing as many products as possible. That said, can Paizo continue to crank out RPG products without collapsing their own game under the weight of the ruleset? The sheer volume of content on d20pfsrd.com looks pretty bloated to me.
Well, they have an audience that just seems to keep right on buying. That to me was the real coup they achieved: finding the people with the deep pockets, and hanging onto them!

Care to make a wager of it? Say, the D&D or Pathfinder hardcover of the winner's choice, going to you if Pathfinder over takes D&D in ICv2's Q1 2015 rankings, and to me if D&D keeps the top spot? (I won't pick an expensive out-of-print book if you won't!)

Having typed that out, it feels like a sucker's bet I'm offering you, as D&D won't have lost THAT much momentum in the three months after the core books came out. Would you be comfortable with the same terms but for Q2 2015 instead, to make it a bit more sporting?

That's my thoughts. Can D&D maintain when it has a single product coming out late in the period?

I'd fully expect residual sales of the core three books alone to keep them in the top spot, for Q1 at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I am curious how and if they disaggregate non RPG hobby games from the same publisher. Maybe just depends on the survey taker factoring it in?

D&D has a few board games, and Pathfinder of course has a card game that comes in a GIANT BOX (saw it in RL yesterday, its freaking huge). In fact, its actually multi-part, and each part comes in a GIANT BOX.

Did I mention that it is really big?

I suspect it's just RPGs. Otherwise Magic: The Gathering, and some Board Game companies, would always dominate the chart.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Ah, I see it. Paizo is #2 among card games (with a game that comes in a really BIG BOX). D&D Attack Wing is #4 in minis.

In terms of the big question, what happens next, as someone on record, many times, that D&D is going to crush it, Paizo is actually looking really good...

OK, OK. Look at the board games. What is number 1? Settlers. Still. Like forever.

So I agree, with the 3 core books D&D will have enough momentum to be #1 next quarter, and maybe many quarters after that.

Remove ads

Remove ads