The City of Brass comes to Kickstarter in 7 days

Next Friday, March 6, The City of Brass Kickstarter goes live. If you haven't heard of it yet, The City of Brass is an app designed to help you manage the mechanics of your game, so you can focus on what matters: playing that game.

Next Friday, March 6, The City of Brass Kickstarter goes live. If you haven't heard of it yet, The City of Brass is an app designed to help you manage the mechanics of your game, so you can focus on what matters: playing that game.

From the developers:

With The City of Brass you can:

• Create characters, creatures, and NPCs with Entity Builder.
  • Build a setting quickly and easily with World Builder.
  • Write an adventure using Story Builder.
  • Run a game with Campaign Manager.

The City of Brass is game agnostic, and you can use it with all your favorite RPGs. It also works on any device or platform (phone, tablet, computer, Apple, Android, etc.).

We have a bunch of videos up on YouTube if you want to see the system in action.

Or you can check out a preview of the Kickstarter page and leave feedback.

I hope you'll check it out and consider supporting us.

Let me know if you have any questions.

View attachment 67090

LucasC

First Post
So, why should I take this over Hero Lab ?

Well, I think you should use the product that you like the best and that best suits your needs.

Let me tell you a little more about The City of Brass.

• TCoB is web-based and works equally well on any device. You don't need to install any software, you don't even need an app, all you need is an active Internet connection and a web browser.
  • TCoB is designed to be system-agnostic. It doesn't matter if your favorite game in D&D, Pathfinder, Fate Core, whatever, chances are you'll be able to use TCoB. We build customized sheets for some games, but they're not required to make use of all the great features.
  • We have built in support for House Rules. Everything is fairly free-form, allowing you to enter house rules that interact with your character and/or monsters.
  • The more you use TCoB, the better it becomes. Your account includes a rules library that you will fill up as you play. For some games, such as Pathfinder or WOIN, we'll be able to provide stock rule content as well.
  • We have a stock art library and a stock map library that we add to regularly. Both will be freely accessible with your TCoB account.
  • Even if you opt to pass on the Kickstarter, you'll still be able to give the system a test run before we ask you to pay for it. Everyone gets their first 30-days free. We think you'll like it enough to stick around, but if you don't, you're not out anything except a bit of time.

Here are some screen shots to give you a better idea of what things look like in TCoB (there's also videos on YouTube showing these things).

Here's some characters I've entered for different games -

View attachment 67092
View attachment 67093
View attachment 67094

And a creature to show the GM view -
View attachment 67099

And a few screens from our Story Builder -
View attachment 67096
View attachment 67095

And Campaign Manager -
View attachment 67100

And World Builder -
View attachment 67097
View attachment 67098

I'd like some more information.
Like what happens if your subscription runs out, and what subscribing gets you.
How does it interact with a group? Will I need to convince my entire table to buy in? Will there be group rates?
Does the world builder/ campaign manager have a DM/player view?
What does program offer over other existing sites like EpicWords/ Obsidian Portal?

yynderjohn

First Post
WOTC has recently issued Cease notices to quite a few fan created online character generator. How will City of Brass avoid this? Do they have a deal or license to produce this?

LucasC

First Post
what happens if your subscription runs out, and what subscribing gets you.

A subscription gets you access to everything we offer. It also allows you to view other subscribers content that they have chosen to share (either with you personally, with their friends, or with subscribers). Settings (World Builder Districts) are the only things that can be set to Public, meaning anyone, even those people without a subscription, can view them.

If your subscription expires, you, and others, will no longer be able to view and/or edit your content. Your stuff will be retained, with your account, and available to you immediately if you choose to resubscribe.

How does it interact with a group? Will I need to convince my entire table to buy in? Will there be group rates?

You'll get the best experience if everyone is using the system, and that does require that everyone have an account. Having said that, there's no reason everyone needs to use The City of Brass.

As a player, it offers you an excellent resource for storing and managing your characters. You won't need to carry around paper sheets, you can easily track things like hit points, fate points, etc.

As a GM, you get access to both World Builder and Story Builder. Your setting can be made public, allowing your players to view it regardless of whether they have an active account. Your adventures in Story Builder are visible only by you, but that's almost certainly the desired privacy setting anyhow.

What you miss out on is Campaign Manager features. You can use Campaign Manager, of course, but it's really meant to be a shared resource between players and GMs alike. This is where GMs are going to post things such as game recaps or house rules. Players w/out a TCoB account won't be able to view this stuff.

Does the world builder/ campaign manager have a DM/player view?

Yes.

World Builder addresses this through special page sections visible only to the GM (really, visible only to the District/setting owner and anyone that has been given editing privileges).

Campaign Manager has GM only sections. The Campaign originator is the GM, and automatically gets access to a number of things including:

- Character sheets for characters added to the campaign
- GM notes (pages visible only by the GM)
- Story Builder links (for linking the adventure)

What does program offer over other existing sites like EpicWords/ Obsidian Portal?

I'm not an expert on other folks products. The best I can do is try to explain what it does, and answer specific questions you might have. I believe we offer a wider range of functionality than other systems, we will do so at a very reasonable subscription rate, available to you on any device of your choosing.

WOTC has recently issued Cease notices to quite a few fan created online character generator. How will City of Brass avoid this? Do they have a deal or license to produce this?

We are not making use of WOTC, or any other companies, intellectual property without permission.

For games with an OGL, we'll build in stock rules. For other games, the system has been designed to be flexible and useful to any game. Games w/out an OGL will require more work from the user as we cannot provide stock material.

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
This actually looks pretty cool...

I guess my question is how much is a subscription going to be, and is their going to be different subscription rates? I ask because I am one of probably many gamers that don't have a large income right now and I am hoping that this won't be too high.

Remove ads

Remove ads