[UPDATED: CONFIRMED!] Wheaton's Game: Putting Together The Clues!

So, with Wil Wheaton's statement that the game being played in his new Tabletop RPG show is NOT Green Ronin's Dragon Age, it's time to start putting together the clues. Here's everything we know so far. I figured that if I've spent 15 years doing this exact thing to compile information about D&D books, hopefully the process work for a web show, too! Note: I think I've fixed the issue preventing Chrome users from reading the article.

[UPDATE: I've had it confirmed by me by a whole bunch of people who already know that the game is, indeed, Fantasy AGE, in a fantasy/sci-fi blended setting created by Wil Wheaton, and that an announcement is imminent!]

• In 2014, Wheaton's Tabletop boardgame show wins an ENnie for its two RPG episodes which feature Green Ronin's Chris Pramas running Dragon Age for Wil Wheaton and the other stars of the episode.
  • Wheaton states that "we're not using D&D. I really like the people at Wizards, but dealing with Hasbro is a giant pain in the ass".
  • Green Ronin's Chris Pramas announces in January that this year they will be involved in what might be the biggest RPG news story of the year. "Our goal is to release Fantasy AGE in May. Then at the end of July we will release the game’s first setting book. This is our big GenCon release and part of something super exciting … that I can’t talk about yet. This will be the focus of our GenCon presence this year and perhaps the biggest RPG story of the year. Watch for an announcement in a few months."
  • In January 2015, Green Ronin announces Fantasy AGE. "This will be strictly a rule book with no attached setting. The core of the game will be well-familiar to Dragon Age fans but there are some differences, the biggest of which is the magic system."
  • A few days ago, just as the Tabletop RPG show starts fiming, Chris Pramas flew from Seattle to Burbank California, for reasons he says he can't discuss. These reasons are, however, exciting. "So much I can't tweet right now." The Green Ronin Twitter account posts "The Age of AGE is upon us."
  • The announcement video features Wil Wheaton sitting next to a Dragon Age GM screen, with his coffee mug resting on one of the Dragon Age Set 2 reference cards.
  • Wheaton states, just a couple of days ago, "It isn't Dragon Age. I brought my own GM screen from home because of reasons."
  • He also posted "Ryan is the co-creator of the world and main storyline in the Tabletop RPG show, and he and I have been writing together for months, now, almost every single day, and yesterday we finally finished the hardest part of our work. Yesterday, we handed everything off to the lead RPG designer, and exhaled for the first time in weeks." Is this world being published?
  • Wil Wheaton posts on his blog "I’m not quite ready to announce the details of the world we created for our RPG show, but I am ready to show this little glimpse of it, and I encourage you to make of it what you will…" (picture below)
  • Wheaton also posts photos of Yuri Lowenthal and Laura Bailey leveling up their characters. "Look at @yurilowenthal and @laurabaileyvo leveling up their characters! They are all grows up."
  • Various photos of players with dice show 3d6, one of which is a different colour, which pretty much seals the deal.

So, putting all that together, what do we have? It sounds a LOT like the game is Green Ronin's Fantasy AGE (not Dragon Age) or Blue Rose with a homebrewed world created by Wil Wheaton and his son and published by Green Ronin. If it's not, this is one heck of a clever misdirection!

a-sneak-peak-at-the-tabletop-rpg-world-768x1024.jpg

CBYcOIlU8AAbhB4.jpg

dice1.jpg
dice2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Vampyr3

Explorer
Why, is this even news? Who cares? I don't get it sorry...

When the ep of Tabletop airs, and they play it.. Cool! until then Meh...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The instagram photo shows 2 six-siders on the table. Not widely revealing, but Dragon Age (and presumably Fantasy AGE) also use six-siders for their base mechanic.

Toriel

Explorer
This is not just fantasy. There are obvious sci-fi elements to the image: the robot beside the arm, the skyscraper and spherical something at the top.

Even if he says it's something they created for the show, it feels like some sort of franchise. But which one?

Sunsword

Adventurer
AND under Wil's coffee cup is the AGE Combat and Stunt Card (yes, it is from Dragon Age, but I'm betting its useful for Fantasy AGE too).

coz

Explorer
So, if you look at Wil's blog post from March 28th http://wilwheaton.net/2015/03/in-which-a-night-of-goofing-off-is-earned/
he says:
"“I think we’ve both earned a night of goofing off,” I added. Ryan is the co-creator of the world and main storyline in the Tabletop RPG show, and he and I have been writing together for months, now, almost every single day, and yesterday we finally finished the hardest part of our work. Yesterday, we handed everything off to the lead RPG designer, and exhaled for the first time in weeks."
emphasis mine.

So it sounds like he handed what he and his son wrote off to an RPG designer, so it sounds like something that might get published.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Can anyone tell if Laura's character sheet looks similar to the Dragon AGE layout? If only we had another 5 degrees of angle...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases