History of the Elemental Planes

WotC's D&D Alumni series has a new article called An Elementary Look at the Planes. The article takes a look at the history of the elemental planes from the Great Wheel article of Dragon Magazine #8 (July 1977), through various sourcebooks and adventures, their codification in Manual of the Planes in 1987, right up to the Elemental Chaos of D&D 4E and the return to a variation of the Great Wheel in 5E.

Find the article here.

Alum_2014_04_MOTP.png

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
And the only article in a while...

Yes, good stuff. The more obscure bits from Dragon where nice, and it gave me some campaign ideas.

AmerginLiath

Adventurer
I agree with everyone that this was an excellent piece. It did a great job of consolidating history in a short summary while never losing sight of its theme (and the game's theme for the planes): letting players and DMs make use of the Elemental Planes as a fun resource in their games beyond just a background device (and tracking the various sources, by name, wherein the game's different writers have explored this across the editions).

The Elemental Planes are one of the ideas where I think 5e has actually done a really good job of taking something that 4e did great work at making something really interesting and cool and working that into the more classic "AD&D" style (here the cosmology) that was used up through 3.5. The restyling of the Inner Planes and the Elemental Chaos in 5e is actually my favorite version yet of the elemental planes and one that I think works as the baseline for all sorts of really cool stories (especially because of how the differences in environments make for a more interesting matter than a static environment, especially if the PCs are up against foes for whom moving deeper into the planes isn't the same sort of trouble as it is for denizens of the Prime Material Plane).

Given the amount of resources out there via digitized adventures and sourcebooks, as well as how easy it is really to effectively convert things to 5e, these sorts of articles are great. I can easily imagine some readers chasing down some of the mentioned items here on DriveThru or something and converting adventures or taking background info for use in an elemental campaign built around Elemental Evil – exactly the sort of thing that WotC should be doing to quietly market forty years' worth of back catalog!

mouselim

First Post
This book brought back such memories..the awe, excitement and trepidation when I acquire this book (second-hand) and secreted it home...running my hands loving over the hardcover and turning the pages, all sensory (except taste) satisfied.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases