Sean's Picks of the Week (0420-0424) - All My Savage Friends, CAH, WoD, Etc.

I got started on a theme this week and decided to stick with it. Every Pick ties back to my dearest friend in this industry, one Shane Hensley, as well as the amazing Pinnacle crew and one of the hottest systems in gaming, Savage Worlds. Of course, those who've been paying attention elsewhere here on ENWorld might know why Savage is on my mind this week. ;-)

Lankhmar: City of Thieves

One of truly legendary fantasy series of all time is that of Fritz Leiber’s Lankhmar saga. It was one of the great influences on Gary Gygax and many others involved with the earliest days of Dungeons & Dragons (Fritz was actually a fan of the game, and a frequent guest at game cons).

It’s been missing from gaming for a time now, at least as a major RPG release.

Now, it’s back, and as Savage as it truly should be, thanks to Pinnacle!

In the City of Sevenscore Thousand Smokes, danger lurks down every dark alley. Sinister sorcerers summon terrible forces in their crumbling towers. Treacherous rogues of the Thieves’ Guild prowl the Plaza of Dark Delights. Assassins from the Slayers’ Brotherhood work the Tenderloin District. And hunched figures skitter beneath the streets, waiting for their chance to rise.

But there is action, adventure, and wealth here too–if your rogues have the skill and bravado to claim it.

Lankhmar: City of Thieves is the core setting book for Fritz Leiber’s world of swords & sorcery. It contains details on the world of Nehwon and the city of Lankhmar, Setting Rules, Savage Tales, monsters and foes, and recounts the tales of world’s most notorious scoundrels–including Fafhrd, the Gray Mouser, and their sorcerous sponsors.

Savage Insider, V3I1

My week’s starting out pretty Savage (in more ways than one), and today’s Pick reflects that. Not only am I the guest author for the Designer’s Diary for this issue, there’s a huge amount of material of interest to any Savage Worlds fan (or any gaming fan, really). Obatron is pushing hard to really get the Savage Insider line going, and this is a strong issue for them.

We’re passionate about Savage Worlds and want to share that with you. The theme is Endings and Beginnings, which it is threaded throughout all the pieces and covers a range of genres.

What’s in It for You
  • Two Discounts Off Maps by Middle Kingdom Exploration & Trading Co.
  • Recent Releases – From January to March.
  • Upcoming Releases – Works in the works.
  • Designer’s Diary – Sean Patrick Fannon talks about Evil Beagle Games’ Shaintar: Legends Unleashed.
  • Game Prep: Concept by Interlude – Finding out who the character is before deciding what they can do!
  • Game Prep: The End is Nigh! Or Is It? – Tips for handling bringing a campaign to its close.
  • Esoteric Orders: An Abundance of Gods – Shinto inspirations for any genre. with NPCs, powers, and setting sketches.
  • Equipment Corral – Two pieces for your collection at both ends of the spectrum: one to bring death and one to bring life.
  • Character Gallery: Three Masters of Action – After the lives they knew ended, all transform to take on anything thrown their way..
  • Mechanics Wise: Back from the Dead – Unconventional options for handling character death.
  • Expanded Mechanics: The More You Know – Getting more out of language and knowledge skills.
  • Stories to Inspire: The Past and the Future – When a deserter becomes a vigilante, there’s a fine line between criminal and hero.
  • Surveyed: The Pride of Thalsen – A small, but influential village faces the theft of a treasured artifact. A great place to start a campaign.
  • Great Adventures: The World Trembles – A campaign-ending adventure for Legendary Ranks. Can they defeat Ashur and all the aliens brought with it, or will their fantasy world die?
  • Great Adventures: Escape from the Apocalypse Myceleon, Destroyer and Devourer – On the edge of Unknown Space, an immense, alien being seeks to make a meal out of a planet.
  • Convention Connection – April to July
  • With this issue, we introduce “stretch goals” to unlock free content between issues! Simple tasks like sharing Facebook links, tweets, and G+ posts, reviewing the magazine on DriveThruRPG and RPGNow websites, and other quick-to-do items are the key.

Buy it now to use at your next game and to find out all the details on unlocking the freebies!

Hexslinger

Not hard to see the theme I’ve stuck with so far this week, as we present my dear friend Shane Hensley‘s contribution to the awesome Cartoon Action Hour set of Series books. You might note a certain similarity to something else Shane is known for in this one…

In this Cartoon Action Hour: Season 3 series book by Shane Hensley, which can best be described as a hybrid of westerns, science-fiction and fantasy, groups of Hexslingers (rangers armed with clockwork firearms hurtling manite slugs “hexed” with various magical powers) patrol the untamed Outlands in an effort to make life safe for settlers and travelers alike.

• Details on the Wizardry West

• Information on hexslingers, including rules on how to create them as Player Characters

• 8 ready-to-use Player Characters

• 3 very detailed episode seeds to get your group into the action

• 2 extremely nasty villains (an orc warlord named Karnak the Unstoppable and a vile dragon known as Mayng)

• 12 critters

• 4 types of Goons

• 1 Playset (Fort Fannon) <– (What is this, I don’t even…?!?)

Book of the Deceived

The theme continues (you’ve guessed, right?) with today’s Pick, which comes right from the list of Origins Award Nominees. Good friend and Pinnacle Art Director Aaron Acevedo is one of the many talented artists Onyx Path used on the Book of the Deceived, a delve into the darkest parts of Mummy history and mystery.

It is not because they are extinct that the Restless Stars are lost to us.

They are lost to us because they were deceived.

— Antu-Herap, the Prince of Glass

This book includes:

• The inscrutable history, motives, and inner workings of the so-called Lost Guild of mummies. Enemies to most and a mystery to all, theirs is a multi-millennial legacy of treachery, madness, and revenge.
  • Complete rules and systems for running the Akhem-Urtu, lost Irem’s guild of Restless Stars, including step-by-step player character creation — for those who dare step inside the minds of the Deceived.
  • “The Trail of Heresy” — a complete Mummy story that Storytellers can run alone or as the second act in a three-part series called The Avarice Chronicle.

To Preserve Our Vows

Closing out with the Savage Friends Theme, here’s one of those great scenario/map combos that DramaScape does, thanks to their relationship with Pinnacle. To Preserve Our Vows ties into the Arabian Fortress map set, and optionally connects to their Oasis Ruins set as well, tying everything together with an epic adventure.

This product is a full-color, 16 inch by 10 inch, 3 level, Battlemap of an Arabian Tower, with Hex, Square and No overlay and comes with a Savage Worlds Adventure.

The PDF includes includes the VTT (Virtual Table Top Images for online play).

“The Sultan will not profane our wives. This is my vow.” [Places his wedding band on his ring finger and kisses it.] — Confrere Henri Blanche

To Preserve Our Vows includes three two-page add-on maps to the Arabian Fortress, a throne room, vault, and harem room for placement as interiors inside the western tower and two pages of NPC cards.

To Preserve Our Vows: When the wives of Earl Geoffrey Corwin and Confrere Henri Blanche are kidnapped by the Sultan of Rûm, Mesud, for his harem, the Earl offers to fill the Templar’s coffers to help get her back. The Templars offer him a small force of men for his small initial donation and the Earl pays for additional mercenary support. But will it be enough to get into the Sultan’s Palace and rescue their wives?

~~~

And that closes out the very Savage Week of Picks. I remain overwhelmed by the positive waves of support and excitement for the Savage Rifts project, and I can't wait to get it done and out there to you all. Thank you.

In the meantime, I am proud to be a special guest GM for a local middle-and-high-school event called GameCon IV, and I'll also be doing something tomorrow evening I've not done in over 15 years.

I'm running Champions. 4th Edition (with tweaks). I am going way back to my roots, creatively and professionally speaking. Should be... interesting.

Thankfully, I also get to play, specifically tonight in a second session of a Savage Supers game we're calling "The School." On Sunday, I get to play in my Belovedest Carinn's "The Crew" campaign (also Savage Worlds, featuring supernaturally-enhanced agents against the Monsters in the Dark.

Happy gaming to you all, and remember - The Adventure Continues!

~SPF

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases