Sean's Picks of the Week (0427-0501) - Nepal Relief, D&D 3.5, Ultimate Feats for PF, and More!

This week, an opportunity to buy a ton of great Oriental Adventures stuff and help the people of Nepal, on top of all the other great gaming stuff I took note of coming out of DriveThruRPG.

Cards & Quests

As always, I like to use this forum to point out both popular, big releases as well as new things you might otherwise miss. Today’s the latter, as I point out Skirmisher’s new Cards & Quests: An Innovative Fantasy Role-Playing Game. I’ve long wondered why I’ve not seen more games based primarily on the classic card deck.

Welcome to Cards & Quests! This new game is designed for players who enjoy fantasy RPGs but do not like to get bogged down in character creation. The goal of the authors was to find an easier and less time-consuming way to play RPGs while keeping all the qualities that make such games so entertaining and memorable.

Cards & Quests features several unique concepts. Conflict is resolved using a standard deck of 52 cards in a system that is intuitive, fun, and simple to use. Magic and skills are based on eight elements that replace the idea of a profession or class. Battles are quick, skill and magic resolution follow the same basic rules, and using the cards presents an enjoyable combination of chance and strategy.

Cards & Quests also allows players some control over their ability to succeed and lets characters have access to the greatest amount of skills and spells while keeping the game balanced. Both low-level and high-level characters are exciting to play in this RPG.

For Game Masters, the easy and intuitive rules make for simple adventure creation and allows them to draw upon their story-telling abilities while running a balanced game that all their players will enjoy!

So this has been a long, long time coming. Finally, a pdf version of the 3.5 Player’s Handbook for D&D fans is available. Fans who stuck with this particularly popular iteration of the World’s Most Famous RPG will be glad to have this on the virtual, keyword-searchable shelves.

The revised Player’s Handbook is the definitive rulebook for the 3.5 edition of the Dungeons & Dragons role playing game. It contains complete rules for the 3.5 edition and is an essential purchase for anyone who wants to play the game.

The revised Player’s Handbook received revisions to character classes to make them more balanced, including updates to the bard, druid, monk, paladin, and ranger. Spell lists for characters have been revised and some spell levels adjusted. Skills have been consolidated somewhat and clarified. A larger number of feats have been added to give even more options for character customization in this area.

The Feat Reference Document

You know, I think this one pretty much speaks for itself as a must be mine for Pathfinder fans –

Everything You Don’t Already Have!!

The Feat Resource Document has over 700 feats from the publisher of the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook! It’s the ultimate compilation of feats that aren’t in the online Resource Document, taken from more than 100 adventures, companions and campaign sourcebooks.

All are in as close to their original format as possible with only those flavor changes required to make them 100% Open Game Content. Additionally, every feat has any word changes highlighted, so it’s easy to determine if a feat has been modified in any way from the original published version, and all the needed rules sub-sets are included (so if you take Dragoncrafting, or Deific Obedience, all the rules needed to use those feats are in the Appendix).

So stop flipping through scores of splatbooks looking for exactly what you need to make a villain memorable, tie a hero to his homeland, or properly use a dwarven chain-flail. Instead, get everything you need in The Feat Reference Document! It’s the ultimate Pathfinder-compatible companion rulebook.

Fat Dragon Games 10th Anniversary

My buddy Tom Tullis is celebrating ten years of card-modeling and map-making excellence for gamers by having a birthday sale for his rotund drake friend.

It’s 25% off EVERYTHING that he sells.

Every. Thing.

All the Things.

Take a look at it all and you’ll see why I think this is a must-not-miss.

Most of you know I use an affiliate code when I post these, which is a way I earn a bit of income as part of what I do here.

Not today.

95% of the revenue generated by this bundle goes directly to help CARE Nepal. Over 6000 dead, many thousands more missing, and tens of thousands in desperate need. Get some awesome game stuff, help alleviate suffering.

That’s what I call rolling a 20.

Game for Nepal

The most comprehensive OSR Oriental Adventures compilation ever with about everything the OSR has created for Asian-themed games so far.

EVERYTHING ASIAN FROM THE OSR

All the profits of this charity bundle, save a 5% maintenance fee that will go to the distributor, will go to CARE Nepal, which is raising funds to help alleviate the sufferings of the Nepalese.

Remnants of Isolation

Two of my dearest friends - Susan "Sooz" Knowles and Hazardswake Overmind* - made an amazing classic-style CRPG, one that impressed the likes of Ed Greenwood among the many judges who named it the 2014 Grand Prize Winner of the Indie Game Maker Contest. I am so proud for them getting it up on Steam, and I think you'll agree it's well worth your attention.
~~~

"Avengers: Age of Ultron" - just wow! I can see a lot of new supers RPG campaigns starting up this summer.

I am playing in one on Sunday, matter of fact, as we continue the adventures of the Defenders of Reality, Savage Worlds Supers style. Much of the rest of the weekend I'll be well and truly ensconced in a world where superheroic-level Cyborgs, Ley Line Walkers, Juicers, Glitter Boys, and what-have-you are trying to make a better Tomorrow...

The Adventure Continues!

~SPF

(*) - Edited due to a recent privacy/doxxing issue. Ugly Internet trolls are truly ugly, horrible people.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases