The 'Wonderland'-Inspired Faces of the RAGE OF DEMONS


  • Focusing In On World-Building Tools With...

    As a game master, I am always looking for new tools to use in the games that I run. I look for new ways to approach genre, and material, but mostly ways to make the games that we play more engaging for everyone at the table. So, when friends who are Smart About Such Things™ talked about using Ben Robbins' game...

    Read More

    Sean's Picks of the Week (0620-0624) -...

    This week, the PDF for Savage Rifts released to the Kickstarter backers, so it's been a bit... hectic. I got so caught up with that, I completely lost track that yesterday was Friday and, therefore, the day I should have posted this. Deepest apologies, friends. But here we are, only a day later, and the Picks are all right here. Mostly fantasy, with a dash of cyberpunk for Fate...

    Read More
  • The 'Wonderland'-Inspired Faces of the RAGE OF DEMONS


    Take a peek at some of the art from D&D's upcoming Rage of Demons storyline. This art is by Richard Whitters, who is the art director for D&D and used to work as a concept artist for Magic: the Gathering. WotC's Chris Perkins has indicated that one of the influences on Rage of Demons was Alice in Wonderland, and I think the influence is clear when you look at the characters below.




    OUGALOP, kuo-toa cave cricket catcher extraordinaire.


    YUK YUK and SPIDERBAIT, goblin adrenaline junkies.


    THE SOCIETY OF BRILLIANCE, the Mensa of the Underdark.


    GLABBAGOOL, awakened gelatinous cube.


    RUMPADUMP and STOOL, myconid followers.


    PRINCE DERENDIL, a quaggoth who thinks he's elven royalty.


    TOPSY and TURVY, svirfneblin wererat siblings.


    THE PUDDING KING, svirfneblin devotee (i.e., flunky) of Juiblex the Faceless Lord.


    D&D's "Legion of Doom." What a wonderful bunch of malcontents.
    Comments 345 Comments
    1. Nebulous's Avatar
      Nebulous -
      That is AWESOME.
    1. Banesfinger's Avatar
      Banesfinger -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
      That is AWESOME.
      Seconded...awesome.
    1. steeldragons's Avatar
      steeldragons -
      Those are pretty amazing.

      I've got Yeenoghu [Guess who's coming to dinner? Ye Know Who. ;P ], Grazzt, Orcus, Baphomet, Jubilex, and DG...and that poor poor sap of a hero for scale reference...yeah, he's toast before breakfast.

      Stumped on the red female-appearing one (Malcanthet?...if I'm remembering/spelling her right...the Queen of Succubi, whatever her name is. Or maybe Zuggtmoy? Since Underdark, mushrooms/fungi is obviously going to be a thing) and the smaller winged toadie-looking guy.

      Who do we think they are?
    1. Jumblejacks's Avatar
      Jumblejacks -
      I love love LOVE the Society of Brilliance.
    1. steeldragons's Avatar
      steeldragons -
      Oh yeah! And the Society of Brilliance, I'm going with Derro, Mindflayer and Orc, obviously...but that third guy...I'm kind of at a toss up whether he/she might be a trog, yuan-ti...or maybe they're going to reintroduce ye ole Ophidians as a new race? ...though they weren't inherently evil, as far as I remember. Troglodyte is the most likely, I guess.
    1. CrusaderX's Avatar
      CrusaderX -
      GLABBAGOOL rocks. Great name, great concept.
    1. pming's Avatar
      pming -
      Yay! Saturday morning cartoon-level caricatures with silly names! Now I don't know about you, but this screams "terrifying underdark story involving demons and mad villains" to me.

      Add in Drizz't and I'm pretty sure this will be the most awesomest of awesome $60 story-books the world has ever seen!

      ^_^

      Paul L. Ming

      PS: In case you missed it...that whole post was SARCASM. Just FYI. In other words, I am not a fan of this new "multi-media story" thing they're doing. Ick.
    1. raphaelus's Avatar
      raphaelus -
      Thumbs up!
    1. TwoSix's Avatar
      TwoSix -
      These have the kind of whimsy that I associate with DiTerlizzi's work in Planescape. Kudos to all involved.
    1. Trickster Spirit's Avatar
      Trickster Spirit -
      Quote Originally Posted by pming View Post
      Yay! Saturday morning cartoon-level caricatures with silly names! Now I don't know about you, but this screams "terrifying underdark story involving demons and mad villains" to me.

      Add in Drizz't and I'm pretty sure this will be the most awesomest of awesome $60 story-books the world has ever seen!

      ^_^

      Paul L. Ming

      PS: In case you missed it...that whole post was SARCASM. Just FYI. In other words, I am not a fan of this new "multi-media story" thing they're doing. Ick.
      See, you say you don't like it.

      But adding Saturday morning cartoon-level caricatures with silly names makes it at least 1000x awesomer, that is just objective science.
    1. TwoSix's Avatar
      TwoSix -
      Quote Originally Posted by Trickster Spirit View Post
      But adding Saturday morning cartoon-level caricatures with silly names makes it at least 1000x awesomer, that is just objective science.
      And really, you can't argue with science.
    1. Thyrwyn's Avatar
      Thyrwyn -
      Sounds good to me. For Pete's sake, names can be changed, and Drizzt can be expunged...
    1. wedgeski's Avatar
      wedgeski -
      Love it. LOVE IT. Glad to see they're varying up the tone a bit.
    1. I'm A Banana's Avatar
      I'm A Banana -
      I am actually kind of friggin' in love with this stuff.

      It reminds me - in the most delightful way - of DiTerlizzi's stuff. They have LOADS of personality, they look like awesome characters, critters I want to know more about. Their bodies are distinct, and it's not all "grr argh I am spooky scary monster snarl rar."

      THE PUDDING KING is my favorite. I mean, you say demon princes in the underdark and I'm like "Yeah, like friggin' always," but you say that it includes a character called THE PUDDING KING and I'm like "Tell me more of these demon-tunnels of which you speak..."
    1. Wrathamon's Avatar
      Wrathamon -
      VERY
    1. Von Ether's Avatar
      Von Ether -
      This might be the 5e adventure that I run. My table tends to be run a little tongue and cheek
    1. Mercule's Avatar
      Mercule -
      "Awakened gelatinous cube"? That's actually pretty awesome, but I feel really, really bad for him. It would really suck to be sentient Jell-O.
    1. TwoSix's Avatar
      TwoSix -
      Quote Originally Posted by Kamikaze Midget View Post
      THE PUDDING KING is my favorite. I mean, you say demon princes in the underdark and I'm like "Yeah, like friggin' always," but you say that it includes a character called THE PUDDING KING and I'm like "Tell me more of these demon-tunnels of which you speak..."
      I'm actually more afraid of his father, the Puddin' Pop.
    1. TwoSix's Avatar
      TwoSix -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mercule View Post
      "Awakened gelatinous cube"? That's actually pretty awesome, but I feel really, really bad for him. It would really suck to be sentient Jell-O.
      "Of course you can join the party! There's always room for J-E-L-L-O."
    1. Werebat's Avatar
      Werebat -
      This... Looks promising. My group isn't sure what to do after we finish the Lost Mines of Phandelver, and I might pitch this to them.
    + Post Comment