The 'Wonderland'-Inspired Faces of the RAGE OF DEMONS

Take a peek at some of the art from D&D's upcoming Rage of Demons storyline. This art is by Richard Whitters, who is the art director for D&D and used to work as a concept artist for Magic: the Gathering. WotC's Chris Perkins has indicated that one of the influences on Rage of Demons was Alice in Wonderland, and I think the influence is clear when you look at the characters below.

CEXkKiqUsAADuq1.jpg

OUGALOP, kuo-toa cave cricket catcher extraordinaire.

CEXk_2UUIAA18QX.jpg

YUK YUK and SPIDERBAIT, goblin adrenaline junkies.

CEXlbDRUUAA1KJG.jpg
CEXlbDVUIAAjx2O.jpg
CEXlbHxVEAEU5nF.jpg
CEXlbKQUUAAQxoA.jpg

THE SOCIETY OF BRILLIANCE, the Mensa of the Underdark.

CEXlz0NVIAIsi3J.jpg

GLABBAGOOL, awakened gelatinous cube.

CEXmWjDUUAA95l4.jpg

RUMPADUMP and STOOL, myconid followers.

CEXm0_fUsAATIyA.jpg

PRINCE DERENDIL, a quaggoth who thinks he's elven royalty.

CEXnNiIUkAAMyaR.jpg
CEXnNikVEAA7aHI.jpg

TOPSY and TURVY, svirfneblin wererat siblings.

CEXnxQ4VEAAilzD.jpg

THE PUDDING KING, svirfneblin devotee (i.e., flunky) of Juiblex the Faceless Lord.

CEWVicQUMAA4Xqu.jpg

D&D's "Legion of Doom." What a wonderful bunch of malcontents.

Last edited by a moderator:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Those are pretty amazing.

I've got Yeenoghu [Guess who's coming to dinner? Ye Know Who. ;P ], Grazzt, Orcus, Baphomet, Jubilex, and DG...and that poor poor sap of a hero for scale reference...yeah, he's toast before breakfast.

Stumped on the red female-appearing one (Malcanthet?...if I'm remembering/spelling her right...the Queen of Succubi, whatever her name is. Or maybe Zuggtmoy? Since Underdark, mushrooms/fungi is obviously going to be a thing) and the smaller winged toadie-looking guy.

Who do we think they are?

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Oh yeah! And the Society of Brilliance, I'm going with Derro, Mindflayer and Orc, obviously...but that third guy...I'm kind of at a toss up whether he/she might be a trog, yuan-ti...or maybe they're going to reintroduce ye ole Ophidians as a new race? ...though they weren't inherently evil, as far as I remember. Troglodyte is the most likely, I guess.

pming

Legend
Yay! Saturday morning cartoon-level caricatures with silly names! Now I don't know about you, but this screams "terrifying underdark story involving demons and mad villains" to me.

Add in Drizz't and I'm pretty sure this will be the most awesomest of awesome $60 story-books the world has ever seen!

^_^

Paul L. Ming

PS: In case you missed it...that whole post was SARCASM. Just FYI. In other words, I am not a fan of this new "multi-media story" thing they're doing. Ick.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
These have the kind of whimsy that I associate with DiTerlizzi's work in Planescape. Kudos to all involved.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases