Rodney Thompson Leaves Wizards of the Coast

On one side -well, damn. I've always loved his work, especially back in the Star Wars saga days.

On the other side, i can't wait to see where he lands - I just hope he lands well.

Rodney Thompson, one of the core design team of D&D 5th Edition, has left Wizards of the Coast. Rodney was also (with Peter Lee) co-designer of the Lords of Waterdeep boardgame. He leaves on Friday (22nd May). It appears to be his own decision, as he says "A new opportunity has arisen, and so I must say, "Goodbye," (or at least, "See you later!") to my comrades here at Wizards of the Coast."

There's a few words from Mike Mearls and from Rodney on WotC's website.

For more on the current D&D team and on what other ex-WotC folks are doing now, check out this article.

Promoted to article by Morrus.
Original Post said:
Spotted on Mike Mearls' Twitter.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/goodbye-rodney-thompson

Best of luck to Rodney in whatever it is his new endeavor is!

Attachments

• rodney.jpeg
    rodney.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 1,444

Rhenny

Adventurer
Wow...that's news. Good luck to Rodney, and thanks for all the great work on 5e and other WotC projects. Cheers.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I really like Rodney. He's a really great person to hang out with, and a pleasure to know. I'm sure everyone at WotC will miss him. He made the effort to introduce himself to me at Gen Con a few years ago, and we've become friends since. A friendly, genuine guy. I hope his new opportunity is as awesome as his last one!

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnnyZemo

Explorer
I went to a couple of the panels he did at Origins over the past couple of years (Lords of Waterdeep and D&D 5E). He was 50% of the public face of D&D 5E. Seems like a big loss for Wizards.

spinozajack

Banned
Banned
I wish him all the best, working on non-D&D products. I think he'll be happier and it will be a better fit.

The team did terrific work and deserves a ton of commendations, however every article I read from Mike I loved, and most from him I liked in some ways but he would always throw in one or two lines that made me go Hmmm. So as a person I think he's a good guy, but as a game designer, not so much.

In terms of D&D's future, this is good news to me. Sorry to put it that way, but it's how I feel. I can't help but feel that if Mr Reynolds had been at Wizards then, instead of now, 5th edition would be even better than it is.

AK Browncoat

Explorer
I met Rodney twice at Gen Con 05/07 and he was very friendly and took time to discuss anything. A class act. I'm glad to hear he is doing well.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases