Making A Custom Gaming Table
  • Making A Custom Gaming Table

A chap named Jan-Oliver Ohloff from Germany has shown off some photographs of his fantastic new gaming table. It contains a 40-inch plasma TV and (apart from the actual TV) was built by hand. It cost around 400 euros ($450) in total - 100 euros for the used plasma TV, and 300 for the materials.

There are also some photographs from the building process.

Comments 33 Comments
      Vinoup -
      thank god, im not the only one who drinks Monster will playing!!!
    1. Olaf the Stout -
      That's a pretty cool set-up. Pretty cheap price for it too.

Also, is that a map of Freeport I spy?
      Jester David -
      Quote Originally Posted by Olaf the Stout View Post
      That's a pretty cool set-up. Pretty cheap price for it too.

Also, is that a map of Freeport I spy?
      Nope. Sandpoint from Rise of the Runelords.
      sidonunspa -
      I thought that mounting a plasma horizontally was a bad idea...
      Hand of Evil -
      See, you do not need a MS Surface!
      TheSwartz -
      Quote Originally Posted by sidonunspa View Post
      I thought that mounting a plasma horizontally was a bad idea...
      I think the issue is one of glass fragility when transporting in the horizontal position

https://www.avforums.com/threads/myt...sport.1436990/

Another issue with some Plasma is heat; Also, he mentions it's 'used', older models used a lot of electricity too if I recall.

All those issues aside, though, I still love how Plasma's look! But LEDs do continue to get better and cheaper.
      Morlock -
      I remember seeing a page or thread somewhere of a guy who had done this, like 10 years ago. I guess the economics of it are more feasible now, though. Pretty awesome battlemat, in theory.
      Nebulous -
      Love it. How hot does it get, are the miniatures bases going to melt onto the board?
      Bloodsausage -
      It appears that the TV is a couple of inches below the glass on which the minis are sitting. This probably mitigates the heat problem.
      hollowheel -
      I tote a cheap 43" LED flatscreen (base removed) to games. I slide it onto the table and run maps on Photoshop from my laptop via an HDMI cable. Easy peasy. Since its not a Plasma, heat is not a problem. I've considered getting a piece of thick clear plastic to protect the screen, but honestly, its pretty durable, and we use plastic miniatures.

Highly recommended if you have about $300 to spare.
      Nebulous -
      Quote Originally Posted by hollowheel View Post
      I tote a cheap 43" LED flatscreen (base removed) to games. I slide it onto the table and run maps on Photoshop from my laptop via an HDMI cable. Easy peasy. Since its not a Plasma, heat is not a problem. I've considered getting a piece of thick clear plastic to protect the screen, but honestly, its pretty durable, and we use plastic miniatures.

Highly recommended if you have about $300 to spare.
      That's a good idea. I'm tired of printing maps, it's too time intensive.
    1. tomBitonti -
      LED's can get pretty warm, too, although, I don't have a comparison with plasmas. I use an LED monitor at home for my home computer setup, and it seems to have quite a bit of warm air rolling off it most of the time.

Thx!

TomB
    1. tomBitonti -
      Hi,

Any details on the exact material for the surface, and on how the lets and monitor are mounted? Also, how are the wood pieces joined?

I can make the wood cuts pretty easy, and drill holes for mounting, say, the legs, but the hardware and mounting details would be very useful.

Edit: I can see the 2 by 4's, which seem to be used to make a frame for the top pieces and as mount points for the legs. Any chance of an underside photo for all of that?

Thx!

TomB
      machineelf -
      I think I'd still go with a home theater projector mounted above the table.
      hollowheel -
      Quote Originally Posted by tomBitonti View Post
      LED's can get pretty warm, too, although, I don't have a comparison with plasmas. I use an LED monitor at home for my home computer setup, and it seems to have quite a bit of warm air rolling off it most of the time.

Thx!

TomB
      Just so people aren't put off of this solution-- I use the same size Plasma (actually it's 42") for TV viewing, and the heat it puts off is in an entire different league than my gaming LED. We play in a fairly small place (1 DM/6 players) and no one has noticed any heat issues. YMMV.
      Maul -
      I built mine about 4 years ago seen here: http://img00.deviantart.net/0e75/i/2...ak-d5p60vd.jpg

It looks like Jan-Oliver Ohloff built his table for affordability. Mine was built to last.

Setting the TV an Inch or two below the level of the table distorts the actual location of the minis depending on where you are positioned at the table, thats why I just placed a plexi-glass sheet right onto the TV screen. No distortion.

I also raised the screen 1 inch up off of the table surface to avoid stray dice from making their way onto the TV.

And lastly, those drinks being that close to the monitor would make me really nervous. Thats why I installed cup holders to keep drinks away from the screen.

I know alot of this seems like I am poo poo-ing Jan-Oliver Ohloff's table but I'm not, I'm just observing what he built and pointing out how I would have done it differently.
    1. tomBitonti -
      Nice table. Do you ever find that you need a space for a mat, or, is there a different table for that?

Thx!

TomB
    1. Olaf the Stout -
      Quote Originally Posted by Jester Canuck View Post
      Nope. Sandpoint from Rise of the Runelords.
      Ah, I probably should have guessed that from the Pathfinder books on the table.
      delericho -
      Quote Originally Posted by secondhander View Post
      I think I'd still go with a home theater projector mounted above the table.
      Yeah. There's a guy in my group who has metal dice. Even just thinking about using those on this table is... uncomfortable.
      Azgara -
      So I have done my own table much like this, it costed me a total of around 400$ to make, it was easy. I got A LCD TV on black friday. Here are some pics, if any questions go ahead and ask away.
      http://imgur.com/a/cEJZr
    Comments Leave Comment