[UPDATED] A Savage D&D 5E Campaign Setting From the Makers of PRINCES OF THE APOCALYPSE

Sasquatch Game Studios - made up of WotC alumni Dave Noonan, Richard Baker, and Stephen Schubert - is the company which produced Princes of the Apocalypse for WotC. Now they're turning their eyes towards a 288-page full-colour hardcover setting. This will be a D&D 5th Edition version of their Howard/Lovecraft inspired Primeval Thule campaign setting which already exists for Pathfinder, 13th Age, and D&D 4E.

UPDATE: The Kickstarter is live!

Primeval Thule
is described as a "savage, intense campaign setting". With influences from the likes of Conan and Cthulhu, it's an "dangerous place full of barbaric wilderness, decadent city-states, horrific monsters, and eldritch mysteries". If you're a fan of pulp fantasy and horror, Conan the Barbarian, Kull of Atlantis, Hyperborea, Tarzan, and Lovecraft's alien gods, you should enjoy this. Add in a healthy dose of Burroughs' Pellucidar and the Land That Time Forgot, plus the art styles of Frank Frazetta and the likes, and you'll get the idea.

Sasquatch will be producing a 288-page hardcover book in full colour, with a continental poster map. It will contain more than 40 new monsters, plus the range of spells, magic items, and all the other stuff you'd expect to see in a campaign setting. It'll be the first fully-fledged campaign setting for D&D 5E.

They're doing this via a Kickstarter next week. The exact launch date is not decided yet, but it's only a few days away. As Dave Noonan says, "We're going to fulfill this fast! Because this is a new version of a book we've already published, most of the text and all of the art is already done. We'll send files to the printing press as soon as the Kickstarter campaign closes and we know how many books we need." Like others dipping into 5E publishing, the Open Gaming License will be used.

The existing versions of the setting contain a new character race (the Atlanteans), 19 "heroic narratives", over 40 monsters, 3 adventures, a city called Quodeth, City of Thieves, and a continent of "savage adventure".

Below is an image of the Pathfinder version of Primeval Thule. I don't know if the 5E version will look the same, but the 13th Age and 4E version do, so it's a safe bet.

133780.jpg

"Welcome to Thule, a primordial land of fierce barbarians, elder horrors, and savage wilderness. In this ancient age, humankind is a young race, newly arisen on a monster-haunted Earth. Cities of cruel splendor lie scattered across the great lands of the north like a handful of gems strewn from a dead thief's hand.

This is a doomed age, a time of great deeds and inhuman terror destined to be lost and forgotten beneath the numbing cloak of endless winter. But for one glittering moment, Thule lives—and it is a fierce, cruel, splendid, and marvelous moment indeed."

More information as I get it!

Last edited by a moderator:

DQuartermane

First Post
Has there been an 5e OGL and I missed the memo? I mean I hope one does come (Gen Con is right here) but I am wondering how they are able. Other than of course that they just did Elemental Evil so maybe they just got permission?

AriochQ

Adventurer
Has there been an 5e OGL and I missed the memo? I mean I hope one does come (Gen Con is right here) but I am wondering how they are able. Other than of course that they just did Elemental Evil so maybe they just got permission?

I am pretty sure they are keeping it within legal limits. More and more companies are doing so lately since there is no OGL for 5th edition. They usually only mention 5th edition in a "Compatible with D&D 5th Edition" blurb and the rest is generic (but easily compatible).

mykng

First Post
I do have this book for Pathfinder and want to share with everyone that it is absolutely amazing! Even though I already own it, I will be buying the 5e version too.

Galendril

Explorer
Sasquatch Game Studio already has an agreement with WoTC. They created Princes of the Apocalypse. So, I'm thinking they have permission to use all the 5e terminology, etc for this product. No need to do conversions and what not.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases