Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide: The First Official D&D 5E Setting

Roger

First Post
[Promoted post] The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is an official upcoming sourcebook from WotC. More accurately, it's the first official 5E setting book from WotC! "Get everything you need to adventure in the Forgotten Realms on the exciting Sword Coast, home to the cities of Baldur’s Gate, Waterdeep, and Neverwinter! A collaboration between Green Ronin Publishing and the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast, the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide provides D&D fans with a wealth of detail on the places, cultures, and deities of northwestern Faerûn." Set for release November 3rd, this will be the first official setting book, and is timed to release along with the Sword Coast Legends video game.

scav.jpg

"The Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide is also a great way to catch up on recent events in the Forgotten Realms, to get background on locations featured in the Rage of Demons storyline coming in September, and to learn the lore behind video games like Neverwinter and Sword Coast Legends.

Here are just a few of the features you’ll find in the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide:

Immersive Adventuring: This campaign sourcebook provides players and Dungeon Masters material for creating vibrant fantasy stories along the Sword Coast.

New Character Options: The book offers new subclass options, such as the Purple Dragon Knight and the Swashbuckler, for many of the classes presented in the Player’s Handbook, as well as new subraces and backgrounds specific to the Forgotten Realms.

Adventure in the Forgotten Realms: Discover the current state of the Forgotten Realms and its deities after the Spellplague and the second Sundering. You’ll also get updated maps of this area of the Realms.

Compatible with Rage of Demons storyline: Make characters for use with the Out of the Abyss adventure and fight back the influence of the demon lords in the Underdark below the Sword Coast.

Insider Information: Learn the background behind locations, such as Luskan and Gracklstugh, featured in the upcoming digital RPG, Sword Coast Legends, from n-Space.

With new character backgrounds and class options, players will love the storytelling possibilities of playing a noble of Waterdeep, an elf bladesinger, or one of the other new options, while Dungeon Masters will relish a book full of mysterious locations and story hooks to keep players adventuring on the Sword Coast for years to come."

It's interesting that a product called "Adventurer's Handbook" was cancelled (or "not announced") earlier this year. Perhaps this is based on work done on that product? Or not; it was originally a Sasquatch Studios product, after all (and they're busy producing their own pulp-fantasy D&D 5E setting on Kickstarter). Hard to tell! Maybe they figured the upcoming storyline was better timing for a sourcebook. That said, it's wonderful to see Green Ronin doing so well, with Out of the Abyss launching imminently, their Fantasy AGE system on Wil Wheaton's show, Titansgrave, and their recently successful Blue Rose Kickstarter. I dare say this is a golden age for the Ronins, similar (or maybe better than!) when Mutants & Masterminds took off a decade ago.

Original post:
Not sure if this is new, but I only just noticed it myself:

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/sc-adventurers-guide

SWORD COAST ADVENTURER’S GUIDE
A SWORD COAST CAMPAIGN SOURCEBOOK FOR D&D PLAYERS AND DUNGEON MASTERS

SYNOPSIS

Explore the Sword Coast in this campaign sourcebook for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

ITEM DETAILS

Price: $39.95 C$46.00
Release Date: 03 November, 2015

WELCOME TO THE SWORD COAST—a region of Faerûn that comprises shining paragons of civilization and culture, perilous locales fraught with dread and evil, and encompassing them all, a wilderness that offers every explorer vast opportunity and simultaneously promises great danger.

While the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide is a valuable resource for Dungeon Masters, it was crafted with players and their characters foremost in mind. There is a plethora of new character options to intrigue and inspire every member of the adventuring party.

For use with the fifth edition Player’s Handbook, Monster Manual, and Dungeon Master’s Guide, the Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide provides the setting, story, and character options needed to participate in a game anywhere along the Sword Coast of the Forgotten Realms.

Attachments

• scav.jpg
    scav.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 28,684
Last edited by a moderator:

Greybird

Explorer
On the one hand, I'm glad to see that there is something out there. On the other, I'm starting to think that WotC has forgotten that the Sword Coast has a world attached to it.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
OMG, OMG, OMG!! They are releasing something!

Ahmm.

Looks like a carry over of the earlier book, but Green Ronin ends up getting it. And with such clear brand tie-in.

BTW, I think we have seen a playtest version of the swashbuckler. May have or will see others.

unnatural 20

Explorer
Yeah, doesn't look like there will be a setting guide produced for the Realms?

I wonder if this is how settings will be updated. The makers of the Sword Coast PC game have said that they may do other settings in the future. So, maybe a Sharn source book for Eberron, or a Tyr source book for Dark Sun?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases