Sean's Picks of the Week (0720-0724) - Italian SW, The Strange, D&D Comics, Big Bargains!

Gen Con is coming! It's like Winter, except the swarm of invaders are all alive and very warm, and while there will be mass carnage and devastation, it will primarily happen at thousands of game tables. Well, sure, the carnage at the restaurants will also be pretty spectacular, too. Scotty's Brewhouse is one of my favorite haunts, and apparently that opinion is shared by many thousands of my fellow gamers. There are hundreds of food sources in downtown Indianapolis, and nearly all of them go out of their way to welcome Gen Con folks in some way. It's actually pretty impressive. For those will be there, do try and find me and say hello! I'll primarily be hanging around the Pinnacle/Studio 2 booth. If you cannot make it, please game on and enjoy the spirit of it all from wherever you are. I don't leave until next week, though, so let's get down to the Picks for this week...

Ultima Forsan

Intensely dark survival horror or epic hero action in an alt-history Renaissance era, all expertly crafted and exquisitely presented by Italian game developer GG studio. Look for more awesomeness from these folks in the future, trust me.

Oh, you gotta act soon if you want to get it at the special introductory price of $9.90.

At the end of the Middle Ages, the Plague of the Dead has spread through Europe, Africa and Asia giving rise to the darkest time in history. Now, in the year 1515, heroes from the New Kingdoms are ready to fight to reconquer the World. Ultima Forsan is a game of wild adventures and deadly dangers, set in a macabre alternate version of our Renaissance.

Inside Ultima Forsan Setting Book you can find:

• A new Savage Worlds Setting, made of grim horrors and indomitable heroes
  • Two double-page maps: Macabre Lucca and the New Kingdoms of the West
  • New Edges, Arcane Backgrounds and Rules to face the Plague Hordes
  • Special weapons, augmented armors and mechanical prosthesis to fight the Macabre War
  • The Secret of Marco Polo: a complete campaign ready to play
  • More than thirty new, frightening monsters, plus dozens of animals, human characters and Wild Cards
  • An adventure generator that will allow you to create an infinite number of adventures for your Heroes
  • A scalable lethality level, allowing you to play the way you prefer, from lethal survival horror to epic action and heroism

DEATH IS LURKING, AND EACH HOUR COULD BE THE LAST.

BUT YOU WON’T GIVE UP.

NEVER.

GM Care Package

As I’ve explained before, I am on the Board of Directors for the RPG Creators Relief Fund, a charity specifically designed to provide financial support for fellow creators (designers, writers, artists, editors, etc.) who have emergency needs or fall into hard times.

Today, we launched a very special charity bundle. The theme is a Game Master Care Package, with a ton of material to help any GM running games. We timed this with the impending opening of Gen Con 2015, and we hope we can get all of you excited to not only grab a ton of great product for massive discount (and, of course, share with your GM), but to also support this worthy cause of getting our fund up-and-running to ensure the great creators of your favorite stuff have the help and support they need when the time comes.

Here’s just a short set of examples of some of the products included:

• Colonial Gothic: The Lost Colony
  • Dangerous Games, novel by Matt Forbeck
  • Entropic Game System
  • Savage Worlds Deluxe
  • Shaintar: Legends Arise
  • The Strange: The Dark Spiral
  • The Victory System
  • Torn Asunder: Critical Hits PFRPG Version

The Roleplaying Game Creators’ Relief Fund, a charity established by gamers to help game creators in need so they can continue to create great games for all of us, is proud to announce its first major charity gaming bundle on DriveThruRPG! The bundle includes over $200 worth of gaming PDFs and is available for only $20! All money received goes into the RCRF’s coffers to help it perform its mission of assisting game creators who have suffered medical or other emergencies.

It does seem to be a great time to explore lots of new worlds with endless possibilities and infinite threats. The Strange is a Cypher-driven game that takes players all over time and space and potential realities, which is both fantastic and potentially maddening for any GM who doesn’t have all the time in the world to develop the myriad of multi-existences to explore.

Here’s your life raft.

Witch covens battle in the mammoth city of Halloween. Nazis struggle to master mythological relics in the Eleventh Reich. T. rexes hunt hominids on the tropical island of Mesozoica, while skyships fend off pirates and predators in the tempestuous cloud seas of Seishin Shore.

In The Strange, recursions—limited pocket dimensions with their own laws of reality—are seeded from human fiction and mythology. A recursor might discover Atlantis, Oz, the Victorian London of Sherlock Holmes, or places even more bizarre and perilous. Worlds Numberless and Strange takes you to dozens of new recursions, where supervillains, dinosaurs, space troopers, killer robots, gods, and other dangers guard wonders and treasures few people on Earth have ever seen!

Worlds Numberless and Strange includes:

• Nearly 70 new recursions
  • Expanded information on locations, plots, and NPCs of Ardeyn and Ruk
  • Plenty of new artifacts, adventure hooks, and other intriguing details
  • The Implausible Geographical Society, a new secret organization of explorers
  • New creatures for game masters
  • New character options for players, including foci like Inks Spells on Skin and Quells Undead
  • Tips on incorporating your favorite fiction and game worlds into The Strange

Christmas in July Sale

“Winter is coming.”

Not really, unless you’re south of the equator, but I couldn’t resist. DriveThruRPG has their annual and highly-popular Christmas in July sale going on, starting today, and every gamer will want to look at what’s on sale. This year, they have quite a selection of Print-on-Demand products at 15% off, as well as the usual huge assortment of PDFs at 25% off.

Seriously, the selection is insane. Here’s just a few of the publishers represented:

• AEG
  • Ad Infinitum Adventures
  • Cubicle 7 Entertainment
  • Dreamscarred Press
  • FASA
  • Holistic Design
  • Margaret Weis Productions
  • Monte Cook Games
  • Onyx Path Publishing

And dozens more!

D&D Comics

I was among the many folks who believed all along that the D&D franchise would work great for high adventure fantasy comics. IDW agreed, and now they’re arriving in digital form on DriveThruComics.

The first three collections are available, with more coming.

~~~

Tonight, I am continuing my Modern Gods supers campaign, using the in-development Prowlers & Paragons, Ultimate Edition rules with whom I am working on with Lakeside Games' Len Pimentel. Just for fun, here's the preview I gave my players in the FB group we use for the campaign -

Issue #8 Preview - "A Night at the Theater"

After the "Riot in Rojevsko," Past Life, Stormcaller, Redeemer, Jack Flash, and Ingenue discover that the battle with the Ragnarok rioters was a massive diversion from the real threat. The powerful team of Cacophony have taken over the Rojevsko National Theater, where the G12 representatives and many others were gathered for a special concert in celebration of the conference.

Now Opal, Warrior Woman, and Galahad are called in to help stop Cacophony and rescue the delegates.

Which, as it turns out, is exactly what the European villain-activists want.

Will they find out who's really behind all this?

And where in the world is Tesseract?

Hope you've got some great plans for the weekend, and remember, as always...

The Adventure Continues!

~SPF

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases