EN5ider #29: As Good As His Blade: A Dozen New Weapon Properties
  • Warhammer FRPG 2nd Edition Books return to PDF...

Cubicle 7 Entertainment have just made available the range of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition PDFs through Drivethrurpg and...

Read More

D&D's Lead Slightly Increases On Roll20 &...

Industry stats are a bit like buses - you wait ages for one, and then two come along at once. I covered Fantasy Grounds' latest stats a few days ago, and now Roll20 has weighed in. The two data sets usually line up reasonably well at the top end (taking players as the metric,...

Read More

Sean's Picks of the Week (0717-0721) - ENnie...

With the ENnie Awards coming up at Gen Con soon, and voting fully underway, I thought another look at the various nominations was in order. So, once again, I've chosen to delve into certain categories and pick something to highlight while...

Read More
  • EN5ider #29: As Good As His Blade: A Dozen New Weapon Properties

New for EN World EN5ider patrons! Expand the list of weapon properties to include barbed, double, awkward, tripping, and more! Along with nearly 20 new weapons designed to use these new properties, and changes to the entangling and reach properties, this article will unlock the potential of weapon design and introduce more variety into your fighting style! By Connors; illustrated by Jacob Blackmon.

Comments 40 Comments
      Inchoroi -
      I feel like an idiot, but I just want to make sure I got this right. If I want three articles, I can pay $1 per article, yes?
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Inchoroi View Post
      I feel like an idiot, but I just want to make sure I got this right. If I want three articles, I can pay $1 per article, yes?
      You can pay what you want!
      jgsugden -
      I want to pay -$10,000,000 per article. Should I send my address so that Morrus can cut a check?
      Inchoroi -
      I'm really curious to see what the forum thinks of this article...if it turns out balanced, I'm probably going to get it, as well as the monk subclass and ritual one.
      Morrus -
      I'm really curious to see what the forum thinks of this article...if it turns out balanced, I'm probably going to get it, as well as the monk subclass and ritual one.
      When you become a patron you get *all* the articles. You don't buy specific ones individually.
      Inchoroi -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      When you become a patron you get *all* the articles. You don't buy specific ones individually.
      ...oh. Well, that's even better. So, for example, I can just put in a dollar, and get all three? And it's $3 to get the adventures, right?
      Morrus -
      ...oh. Well, that's even better. So, for example, I can just put in a dollar, and get all three? And it's $3 to get the adventures, right?
      When you become a patron (at whatever amount you want) you aren't buying existing articles, you're paying us to make new articles. All of the existing ones are there for you; and you get new ones as long as you remain a patron. There's no actual purchase involved.

It's an old model, the patronage system, although combining it with crowdfunding is new.

So yeah, for a dollar you can get all 29 existing articles, though I'd hope you'd think 'em worth more than 3 cents each. The system relies on goodwill a bit!
      Connorsrpg -
      Ahhh, any questions about the actual article? I am happy to respond. It was quite a buzz to get an article in En5ider and putting something back into the ENWorld community after being a member here for years.

Be warned. Some of these properties are not for everyone. You may use only some of them. Some players will love some of them, but dread others. A couple of qualities may be dreaded by some players, as they would reduce the effectiveness of some existing weapons. But these qualities 'may' go some way of addressing some tables' view that the 'great' weapons and reach weapons can be overpowered with the current feats and combos available. And besides, can lead to some interesting situations.

Again, there is plenty on here, and I am sure you will find something you could use.

I am happy to take questions, and I have other ways of using some of these qualities. Obviously, you can't get everything into 1 article.

One thing I neglected to mention, is that a quarterstaff should be considered a 'light' weapon when used with the 'double' quality only.

Anyway, fire away.
      Inchoroi -
      When you become a patron (at whatever amount you want) you aren't buying existing articles, you're paying us to make new articles. All of the existing ones are there for you; and you get new ones as long as you remain a patron. There's no actual purchase involved.

It's an old model, the patronage system, although combining it with crowdfunding is new.

So yeah, for a dollar you can get all 29 existing articles, though I'd hope you'd think 'em worth more than 3 cents each. The system relies on goodwill a bit!
      Oh. Well, that makes more sense. Thanks, Morrus! Yeah, I'd like to put in more, but am hesitant; I've actually never backed a Kickstarter, or done anything like this before, so couldn't wrap my head around it right away.
      Henry -
      My advice inchoroi, is put in the dollar, and get a look see; if you want to see more stuff like it, adjust your patronage to what you can afford that seems fair. Regardless of what you pay or don't pay, Russ can only publish with the resources we give him! All the more reason to tell a friend!

@Connorsrpg, great article, I've been looking forward to something like it for a while now. Only suggestion was if we had seen two tables, one with sample weapons using only the basic properties, and a second table that was basically the same as the one in the article, with all the special properties. It's more a matter of convenience than anything, just seeing how the first properties as you note fit more the philosophy behind 5e, and the 2nd batch of abilities is more abstract and involved, but still cool.
      ilsundal -
      Great article, which brings more detail (and fun) to an important part of the game.

I would very much like to see these new properties applied to the weapons in the PHB as well.
      Connorsrpg -
      Thanks @Henry, but I am not sure I follow your idea. Is it a layout issue, or the ordering of the info?

@ilsundal. Thanks for the kind words.

I know people don't like following links here much on ENWorld , but if you are interested in seeing how this relates to the weapons in the PHB AND a whole bunch more, you can check out our Equipment Page here: http://connorscampaigns.wikidot.com/d-d-equipment

(NB: I may have to adjust some of the names myself, as some weapon property names changed several times through the editing process - especially Readied, which I still have labelled as 'Set for Charge' on the website).
      Magistus71 -
      I am interested in this but for armor.
      ilsundal -
      Thanks, Connors. Any chance to get that link as a nicely formatted PDF?

Agree with Magistus71. Would be great to have this for armors as well. Perhaps as a follow-up article.
      Connorsrpg -
      Hmmm. I would love to add to the armor stocks. Note that there is an expansion on shields on my website. (As we use Weapon Groups too).

Just highlight and print if you like. I just printed out the Weapon Tables that way and it looks okay. Not brilliant, but usuable.
      dwayne -
      Have to say from a DM point of view this was an awesome article, will be using all of this and feels like it should have been part of the 5th edition rules.
      Mirtek -
      When you become a patron
      If i become a patron, how frequently will you guys be pestering for spells?
      Henry -
      Quote Originally Posted by Connorsrpg View Post
      Thanks @Henry, but I am not sure I follow your idea. Is it a layout issue, or the ordering of the info?

@ilsundal. Thanks for the kind words.

I know people don't like following links here much on ENWorld , but if you are interested in seeing how this relates to the weapons in the PHB AND a whole bunch more, you can check out our Equipment Page here: http://connorscampaigns.wikidot.com/d-d-equipment

(NB: I may have to adjust some of the names myself, as some weapon property names changed several times through the editing process - especially Readied, which I still have labelled as 'Set for Charge' on the website).
      My suggestion was more of a development one than a layout one, and hence something not as much for change here, but in the article, you initially lay out the properties as
      1) new properties without more complex subsystems
      2) modified existing properties
      3) new properties with more complex subsystems

Then your examples of new weapons are all in the same table, sometimes weapons having properties from both new categories within the same weapon (e.g. Kaginawa, Main Gauche, Ranseur). So instead of "levels of complexity" the sample weapons tables looks like an all or nothing affair, so if I wanted to introduce my Pcs to the simpler new properties without including the more complex ones, I'd have to create my own tables instead of using the article's tables directly.

Kind of like, "here's the vanilla cookie recipe for people with nut allergies, here's the almond cookie recipe, and now here's the dessert cart with vanilla cookies, sitting next to almond cookies, sitting next to some vanilla almond cookies"

Or maybe a different approach would have been to just make all the new properties under one heading (still keeping the redefined ones in a separate heading as it is now to call them out) and have the one unified table. That way there's no distinction, just like the weapon table suggests.

Either way, not a big issue, just one that the article layout sets up, but the table doesn't follow.
      Connorsrpg -
      Oh, I get you now @Henry. Thanks. I kind of agree with you. I guess I divided them up initially, as I was not sure how some of the ones that messed with 'what was there' or added complicated systems would be accepted, so I thought I would make that clear. Maybe not worrying about separating them at all would have been best Not sure I would go with separate weapon charts - even more confusing (and what about weapons with new qualities from different 'categories'?)

I do know what you mean now though, and yes, perhaps this should have just been a list of qualities with a statement at the start. In any case the weapons are really just a few examples I took from my expanded weapon charts. I was trying to write in a style more to encourage the GM to come up with their own extra weapons and use the qualities to distinguish them from other similar weapons.

Thanks for you thoughts though @Henry. Would love to hear whether you incorporate any of the qualities.
      Connorsrpg -
      @dwayne. Thanks! High praise indeed. If your positive view remains after USING some of the qualities, I would be glad to hear it. Oh, and if things don't seem right, I would also like to hear why and how these qualities were used.
    Comments Leave Comment