Help Game Designer Jim Ward With Medical Costs

Game designer Jim Ward, after whom the wizard Drawmij was named, and who worked on Metamorphosis Alpha, Deities & Demigods, Greyhawk Adventures, and more, has been in hospital for some time, and various bills are rising. If you have the urge to help, there's a Go Fund Me page for him where you can donate money towards his current target of $5000 [edit - the target is now $8000] [edit - having passed $8000 the target is now $15000]. Jim has already had surgery, and needs more.

Game designer Jim Ward, after whom the wizard Drawmij was named, and who worked on Metamorphosis Alpha, Deities & Demigods, Greyhawk Adventures, and more, has been in hospital for some time, and various bills are rising. If you have the urge to help, there's a Go Fund Me page for him where you can donate money towards his current target of $5000 [edit - the target is now $8000] [edit - having passed $8000 the target is now $15000]. Jim has already had surgery, and needs more.

The condition he's having treatment for is diabetic foot ulcers. He has already had part of his foot removed, and there are fears that amputation may not be off the table.

The Go Fund Me campaign was set up by John Popson, one of Jim Ward's friends.

5636289_1439335597.3976.jpg

JediSoth

Voice Over Artist & Author
Epic
Any help anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. I feel very strongly about this; my first wife died due to complications from diabetes (including losing part of her foot to diabetic foot ulcers before a pulmonary embolism ended her suffering). One of my most cherished game memories involves James Ward.

My story starts at Gary Con III in March of 2011. I was signed up to play in a Metamorphosis Alpha game with Jim Ward. My wife accompanied me, because she enjoyed watching the games, though she did not play herself. She sat behind Jon Pickens and myself, quietly knitting another scale mail dicebag. Jim asked her "Aren't you going to play?" She replied, "No, I just like to watch, I don't play." He scoffed at her and said "No one watches, everyone plays." He handed her a character sheet and helped her make a character.

Well, she survived longer than most of the others at that table, and even failed to save my character's life (yes, my own wife let me die!). She now plays in my regular D&D group, all because The Warden invited her to play on a cold March night at Gary Con.

TroyBentonGames

First Post
If everyone would be willing to donate todays cup of coffee to help with Jim's medical bills, it would be a tremendous help.

Jim helped on many early GreyHawk works. He contributed to GreyHawk Adventures and Deities and Demigods. His influence can be felt all over the game that we love. In addition to this he fostered a community and helped bring new players to start roleplaying.

Lets get this man some of the help he needs.

Valador

First Post
Donated. Wish I could give more, but I'm in the middle of leaving the Army and moving from Germany back to America, cash is pretty tight right now. :-( best wishes and get better soon.

It always breaks my heart to see people in situations like this. It always reminds me of soldiers who've basically been abandoned by the system and need a helping hand to get through hardships...

Please donate if you can, $5, $10, every little bit helps.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads