Wand of Viscid Globs: Straight Out of Out of The Abyss!
  • Wand of Viscid Globs: Straight Out of Out of The Abyss!

The latest preview from Out of the Abyss, the upcoming (September 15th; Sep 4th in preferred stores) adventure for D&D 5th Edition shows a brand new magic item - the wand of viscid globs. This thing was crafted by the drow, and is used to restrain foes with viscous globs of slime.

Click here for all the other previews from this adventure!

Comments 75 Comments
      AriochQ -
      Restrained on a to-hit roll with no save? Seems a bit over powered to me. That legendary creature give you problems? Advantage for all of your party and disadvantage for him will make the fight a cakewalk.
      chibi graz'zt -
      This item really takes me back to my 1e days, so awesome to see it back in a simple, elegant system :-)
      One more week and this will be in my grubby little hands
      Inconnunom -
      So I was rereading the the Find Familiar spell and it appears that they only have restrictions against attack actions. A warlock familiar that has hands can use or administer items such as potions, oil, and magic items. That being said, this would be an amazing weapon in the hands of an unseen imp.
      GMforPowergamers -
      Quote Originally Posted by AriochQ View Post
      Restrained on a to-hit roll with no save? Seems a bit over powered to me. That legendary creature give you problems? Advantage for all of your party and disadvantage for him will make the fight a cakewalk.
      yup... but wont work in day light, so if you give this to your party have every dragon fight happen at high noon in a clear field....
      Weird Dave -
      I love the flavor of items like this, but I have to admit to it raising an eyebrow as the potential for ending a BBEG really quick. Most of these kinds of fights do not happen in full sunlight in my experience. On the other hand, at least it's restrained and not paralyzed - and it can be pretty mean against the party as well. I'm curious to see which diabolic foe the PCs face in Out of the Abyss that has one of these ...
      Dausuul -
      Quote Originally Posted by AriochQ View Post
      I agree. This should be a Dex save, not a ranged attack roll.
      Mistwell -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
      Doesn't AC scale faster than Dex?
      werecorpse -
      Not a well thought out item. Creates an unbreakable material (why does it have to be unbreakable?) that restrains a creature of any size and strength (and substance - so I can stitch up the tarrasque, or a gargantuan fire elemental?) for a really long time. Because it's not a save it bypasses legendary resistance. It's a bit like petrification but that generally has multiple saves. The disappointing thing is that the problems are not hard to see but could have been easily fixed.
      hawkeyefan -
      I like the flavor, although I agree it needs a little bit of clarification. I would make a judgment call that it won't work on large or bigger creatures, and I'd also allow a use of legendary resistance to allow a creature to escape.

It's not perfect, but easily fixed.
      Ristamar -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
      It's a ranged, single target attack like the Wand of Paralysis. It makes more sense as an attack roll.

IMO, if exposure to sunlight is supposed to be a deterrent for PCs bringing these types of items back to the surface, I'd reduce the time from 1 hour to 1 minute.
      Jraynack -
      What adventurer does not carry at least a pint of alcohol?
      Mistwell -
      Quote Originally Posted by werecorpse View Post
      Not a well thought out item. Creates an unbreakable material (why does it have to be unbreakable?)
      Err, simple alcohol breaks it. What adventurer doesn't have alcohol on them? Heck, many monsters do as well. And of course sunlight...
      hawkeyefan -
      Until it's known that alcohol breaks it, who would try that?

"The cleric is held fast by the glob fired from the drow's wand. Fighter, what do you do?"

"I open my flask and splash it on the cleric, clearly!"
      Mistwell -
      Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
      Until it's known that alcohol breaks it, who would try that?

"The cleric is held fast by the glob fired from the drow's wand. Fighter, what do you do?"

"I open my flask and splash it on the cleric, clearly!"
      "I make an arcane check to see if I can figure out what this stuff is and how to defeat it."
    1. Uder -
      This is going to screw my players over so much (until they get it!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jraynack View Post
      What adventurer does not carry at least a pint of alcohol?
      A player that doused someone in alcohol the very next round after this was used would quickly find out the authors actually meant brine. In my game at least. Unless it was an obvious bright idea and not, "oh, I've got ENWorld open on my tab," that is.
      ehren37 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
      "I make an arcane check to see if I can figure out what this stuff is and how to defeat it."
      Survival would work too I'd think. Alcohol has traditionally been the go to low magic "goo remover" in D&D. Mimics, Cave Fishers, Adherers etc. This lore gets passed around people who delve in dark places.
      Dausuul -
      Doesn't AC scale faster than Dex?
      Sure, but that's not the point. The reason it needs to be a Dex save is that it gives legendary monsters an answer to the ability. If it's a ranged attack, you can just viscid glob an ancient dragon, and suddenly the dragon can't fly, has disadvantage on its attacks, and grants advantage to the entire party. A Dex save would let the dragon use Legendary Resistance to throw it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ristamar View Post
      It's a ranged, single target attack like the Wand of Paralysis. It makes more sense as an attack roll.
      The number of targets is irrelevant--plenty of single-target spells require saves. The convention in D&D is that attack rolls are primarily about dealing damage. If you're imposing a major status effect, it should grant a saving throw.

The game is designed with that expectation in mind. Legendary monsters aside, it's pretty easy to near-guarantee a hit with an attack if you really want to; getting advantage on an attack roll is seldom hard, and there are other tricks you can use as well. Guaranteeing that your opponent fails a save is much more of a challenge.
      hawkeyefan -
      Ha true. It seems like once it's figure out, thereafter it's more a turn waster than anything else, perhaps costing the target a turn, and requiring an action by another party member to douse the target in alcohol.
      Nebulous -
      Why doesn't a monster's size or strength have anything to do with it? This feels too strong to me.
      ehren37 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Nebulous View Post
      Why doesn't a monster's size or strength have anything to do with it? This feels too strong to me.
      I'd originally missed that there's no escape DC or anything. Yup Mr. Tarrasque, sucks to be you, stand still for the next hour. That one slipped by the playtesters!
    Comments Leave Comment