ORCUS! EXCLUSIVE! ESCAPIST!

The Escapist has an awesome preview of Orcus himself! And by preview, I mean the stats -- along with some background features for Out of the Abyss. He's a CR 26 monster, wielding his famous wand. Also interesting his the quote from Chris Perkins, who clarified that the PCs would not fight him directly, but that "Fortunately, Out of the Abyss gives characters the chance to amass a small army and also turn the demon lords against one another, thus weakening them. There are also a couple other ways to banish the demon lords back to the Abyss, which is the party's ultimate goal."

For more, click on either of the images below! For tons more Out of the Abyss coverage, click here! It comes out September 15th (or the 4th in preferred stores - that's next Friday!)

962494.png

962486.png

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Art is OK, but not my favourite take on him. Better than the 3e BOVD look easily . Not sure about those stats. Wand seems a bit weak compared to past takes on it. Thinking how 4 L20 PC would do against him, but I've never gotten that far in game.

Just realized that the Wand was in the DMG, must have glossed over it in the past.

Last edited by a moderator:

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
I can see Orcus laying down some serious hurt. Chill touch prevents healing until the start of the caster's next turn, so that can be quite dangerous, and then he lays down the hurt with the Wand in melee. Creating a cylinder where people are vulnerable to necrotic damage as well? I can see this fight going very poorly for some folks. Truesight as well? Banishment could be a problem spell for him, but with adv on magic saves and a pretty good Charisma modifier (+7 vs. a DC 19 for a 20th-level caster with max stat) is it worth the try?

Weird Dave

Adventurer
Publisher
Art is OK, but not my favourite take on him. Better than the 3e BOVD look easily . Not sure about those stats. Wand seems a bit weak compared to past takes on it. Thinking how 4 L20 PC would do against him, but I've never gotten that far in game.

Just realized that the Wand was in the DMG, must have glossed over it in the past.

Agreed on the art. It's pretty evocative if a bit basic in the color scheme, but it's not the worst representation of Orcus I've seen.

Quartz

Hero
Hopefully someone has proofread that before it went to the actual printers: 'the Orcus', 'roll on the Madness of Juiblex' indeed.

Kannik

Hero
I like how the grotesque and odd-ness has been pumped up on this representation of Orcus, especially in the head. Like the scarred and misshapen body too. Good evocative art, one of my favs for Orcus. Not a fan of the wand, though... :p

JeffB

Legend
Hopefully someone has proofread that before it went to the actual printers: 'the Orcus', 'roll on the Madness of Juiblex' indeed.

Juiblex is correct. I said it incorrectly for 25 or 30 years. Most of us have. Paizo decided to go with the more common and incorrect Jubilex which I think is kinda funny. Maybe to avoid IP issues? IDK.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Juiblex is correct. I said it incorrectly for 25 or 30 years. Most of us have. Paizo decided to go with the more common and incorrect Jubilex which I think is kinda funny. Maybe to avoid IP issues? IDK.

WotC has been using "Jubilex." Regardless, it has nothing to do with Jubilex. It should say "roll on the Madness of Orcus table"...

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases