OUT OF THE ABYSS Trends At 82%
  • OUT OF THE ABYSS Trends At 82%

Out of the Abyss released earlier this week (having been available to preferred stores for a couple of week prior to that), and lots of people have bought and devoured it. The ratings are starting to come in, and the adventure is currently hovering around the 82% mark. By contrast, Princes of the Apocalypse has a solid 91.5%, while the two Tyranny of Dragons adventures have 53% and 75%, respectively.

I've updated my D&D Release Schedules page and marked it as available. Next up will be:

• Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (Nov 3, 2015; hardcover setting sourcebook; $39.95) -- "Get everything you need to adventure in the Forgotten Realms on the exciting Sword Coast, home to the cities of Baldur’s Gate, Waterdeep, and Neverwinter! A collaboration between Green Ronin Publishing and the Dungeons & Dragons team at Wizards of the Coast."
    • Unnamed Storyline(s) -- "Allusions to a giants based story influenced by a Shakespearean play"
    • Unnamed Storyline(s) -- "Froghemoths & Flail Snails - Oh My! Chris Perkins' New Adventure Sneak Peek"

Comments 29 Comments
      Irennan -
      Wasn't the SCAG scheduled for Nov 3?
      Morrus -
      Quote Originally Posted by Irennan View Post
      Wasn't the SCAG scheduled for Nov 3?
      You are correct! Thanks!
      MonsterEnvy -
      One review that was given as a bad one, just because they did not like some of the goofy stuff.
      wadeithan -
      When I click on a link for the ENWorld review of OotA, it always takes me to the previous post about the adventure's trending score. Am I the only one?
      Quatermane -
      I want to buy the OotA, but at the moment I am still going through content from the PotA. ;-)

I might buy OotA for my Fantasy Grounds app just to get the free Adventurers League module offer that is currently taking place in the FG online store.
      DM Howard -
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterEnvy View Post
      One review that was given as a bad one, just because they did not like some of the goofy stuff.
      Technically that is still a valid review.
      Henry -
      Quote Originally Posted by Dndungeoneer View Post
      Technically that is still a valid review.
      Absolutely true.

I'm still going through reading it, but I only have good things to say so far. It's hard to get used to presntation after being used to the top-notch AP support from PIzo's APs (not meant as a dig; WotC has a lot less space to work with in the product compared to the 600+ pages Paizo devotes to same) however, I' really liking the format of the exploration, strategic combat encounters, and possibilities for interaction with the NPCs. My biggest compliant so far is what feels like a "cutting-room floor" problem, some things I'd have loved to see more developed feel a little clipped.
      Hussar -
      I think, so far, after reading the reviews, the worst thing said about it is that it will require a fair bit of DM prep-work. Well, that's understandable in a sandboxy style campaign. Linear is easy, but, sandbox takes a lot more work.

And, 85 is still a pretty good score.
    1. mflayermonk -
      I really enjoyed Hoard of the Dragon Queen.
      Quickleaf -
      I posted a review from my perspective as a DM who's running an Underdark-focused sandbox based around Night Below, with an eye toward what a DM (not necessarily running in Forgotten Realms or using Rage of Demons) could use from the book as an Underdark sourcebook of sorts.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthr...=1#post6704011
      Klataubarada -
      So IMO it's LMoP>PotA>OotA>ToD.
      Treantmonklvl20 -
      Quote Originally Posted by mflayermonk View Post
      I really enjoyed Hoard of the Dragon Queen.
      I ran both of the modules in the series, and I think the story is pretty strong. However, the modules are put together very poorly - the organization is horrible (especially for Rise of Tiamat), and there are confusing descriptions, and cross-referenced encounters. In one section of the module, they actually tell the DM to "Create an encounter using..." What? I bought the friggin' module - you are supposed to design the encounters for me!

That said, despite some frustration, my players and I all enjoyed them regardless.
      Irennan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Morrus View Post
      You are correct! Thanks!
      Glad to be helpful.
      EthanSental -
      The biggest drawback to Paizo AP's and they still haven't been able to get it right is the cartography and the discription in the text. Doors not being there, or are but should type thing. It's not a big deal if your drawing it out as you go on a battle map, but when your using it over a VTT or casting the pdf onto the game table, it's created numerous..."where's that door go to? DM - oh it's not there, another map screw up or last minute change after the map was made and wasn't corrected.

That's really the only drawback that comes to mind initially. Some of the AP themes didn't appeal to me but overall, i thought the ones I ran or played in were nicely done.

The WoTC adventures so far as as good or slightly better, which might just be due to my renewed D&D energy from 5e, but they are comparable to each other in their goodness!
      scourge -
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterEnvy View Post
      Look at the date on that review. Did they even read the adventure before they reviewed it?
      Benji -
      It's currently trending as absolutely nothing in the UK as they failed to deliver it to uk stores...
      jasynjonz -
      To be honest, I don't find the 'whimsy' stuff to be all that silly. It's a little more insane than silly. I think that's the point. Played correctly, some of these NPC's are more sinister and creepy than anything else. Now the extreme sports goblins? Straight outta paizo and pretty silly, but fun. Running it now and my players are having a great time.
      Zarithar -
      I've only skimmed through it so far, but one thing that struck me almost immediately is that this adventure is not overly friendly to novice DMs. Just based on my quick first impression, I find myself preferring Princes of the Apocalypse. This could change though as I read through Abyss in more detail.
      Morrus -
      Ally pugilists go have taken time to give your opinion here, be sure to do so in the review entry so your rating gets counted!
      TerraDave -
      On Amazon its overall sales rank has been 300-400, which is high for an RPG adventure. But it still has not displaced the 3 core books. D&D also holds the 7 top spots at Fantasy Gaming, I don't think I have seen that before.

Name: Capture.JPG ► Views: 252 ► Size: 59.2 KB
    Comments Leave Comment