First D&D "Extra Life" Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Preview

full donation prieview list. $25,000 : Preface $50,000 : Table of Contents $60,000 : New Cantrip: Greenflame Blade $70,000 : New Background: Urban Bounty Hunter $80,000 : New Roguish Archetype: Mastermind $90,000 : Duergar race entry, including subrace traits. $100,000 : Full, updated, high res, labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale and the Moonshae Isles to...

full donation prieview list.

$25,000 : Preface
$50,000 : Table of Contents
$60,000 : New Cantrip: Greenflame Blade
$70,000 : New Background: Urban Bounty Hunter
$80,000 : New Roguish Archetype: Mastermind
$90,000 : Duergar race entry, including subrace traits.
$100,000 : Full, updated, high res, labeled map of the northwest portion of Faerün, from Amn to Icewind Dale and the Moonshae Isles to the Dalelands.

WotC has released a preview of the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (due for release November 3rd) as part of its Extra Life charity gaming weekend. Different monetary goals will release additional content. This first preview is of the preface from the book, and introduces the guide and the history of the Forgotten Realms setting. The Table of Contents is up next, if they manage to raise $50,000.

scaapref.jpg

Original post:
@Wizards_DnD @ExtraLife4Kids tabletop weekend is nigh & your donations have unlocked a Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide preview! http://ow.ly/SQY7k

Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide Preface was released by reaching the $25,000 goal.
http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/SCAG_Preface_3ms9.pdf

The next goal
Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide Table of Contents unlocks at $50,000
SaveSave

Attachments

• scaapref.jpg
    scaapref.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 21,558
Last edited by a moderator:

froth

First Post
Id like to see the toc. I thought this was going to be more on the pc options side of things than FR campaign setting. Hopefully the majority is the former.

pukunui

Legend
[MENTION=93111]froth[/MENTION]: Looks like chapters 1 and 2 cover the setting stuff, while chapters 3-5 cover the players' options. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the first two chapters take up the bulk of the page count.

Irennan

Explorer
@froth: Looks like chapters 1 and 2 cover the setting stuff, while chapters 3-5 cover the players' options. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if the first two chapters take up the bulk of the page count.

3 is a mix. It includes lore and history of the races, and *some* gaming material. That said, 5e FR desperately needs a lore update after the Sundering, and this book is supposed to deliver it, so I too think that the lore portion will be prevalent.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
To be honest...I have a feeling this will be as sparse as they can possibly get away with, in crunch and fluff. I have every intention to snag a copy as soon as it hits shelves...but I just have this feeling it will be disappointing (for me at least). WotC's current "style" seems to be one of almost extreme minimalism. Minimalism to the point that what is presented could be shoe-horned in to any setting, or no setting. Yep, even for a setting-specific book I get that feeling.

I understand WotC wants to avoid factioning off its customers based on what setting they prefer or identify with (rather ironic given their current fetish for focusing on factions in their adventures), so publishing content with a more generic sensibility would be the logical solution. Alas, it also sucks dry the flavor and character of the various settings they become famous (or infamous) upon.

Yes, yes, I know...yet another whiny post, nerd raging at WotC. I apologize now for it.

I'll see what the final product looks like and hopefully I'll be eating crow and my doubts will disperse. :)

Remove ads

Remove ads