FANTASY GROUNDS To Support Kobold Press' TOME OF BEASTS
  • FANTASY GROUNDS To Support Kobold Press' TOME OF BEASTS


    Fantasy Grounds, the official licensed virtual tabletop platform for D&D 5th Edition, has arranged with Kobold Press to support their upcoming monster book for 5E, Tome of Beasts. That means 340 new monsters, 16 hi-resolution maps, and a pile of tokens will be added to the software. Also supported will be the associated Book of Lairs. "The new Tome of Beasts content will include new searchable lists of monsters, complete with stats, descriptions, images, tokens and pre-built attack and ability macros, where possible. Wherever monsters are allowed as playable races, these will be usable during character building, with recognition of special abilities."





    Fantasy Grounds' Doug Davison kindly sent over the above preview screenshots. Tome of Beasts, as you may already know, is currently (and successfully) Kickstarting.

    The new content will be available via three distinct packages:

    FANTASY GROUNDS BOOK OF LAIRS — $27
    All the lairs, with all maps and needed tokens.

    FANTASY GROUNDS TOME OF BEASTS — $39
    Monsters and tokens from the Tome, delivered to your Fantasy Grounds virtual tabletop

    KICKSTARTER EXCLUSIVE FANTASY GROUNDS BUNDLE — $49

    Get both Tome of Beasts and Book of Lairs in Fantasy Grounds at a discount!

    The best deal, then, if you are a backer of the Tome of Beasts Kickstarter, is that third exclusive bundle which saves you $17. There's more information on that here on the Kickstarter page.
    Comments 9 Comments
    1. Prism's Avatar
      Prism -
      Good stuff. Means I'll be able to DM a 5e version of Courts of the Shadow Fey, without having to invent the stats and convert the maps and pictures
    1. Monkey King's Avatar
      Monkey King -
      Quote Originally Posted by Prism View Post
      Good stuff. Means I'll be able to DM a 5e version of Courts of the Shadow Fey, without having to invent the stats and convert the maps and pictures
      Yep. And speaking of that, I should figure out whether the Courts poster map can be improved in some way to add it to the package. I think the resolution is too low for VTTs, but I'd love to be wrong.
    1. darjr's Avatar
      darjr -
      Oohhh! That's right! I own a copy of courts!
    1. BrockBallingdark -
      Damn, there goes more of my money. This is awesome!
    1. epithet's Avatar
      epithet -
      Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
      Yep. And speaking of that, I should figure out whether the Courts poster map can be improved in some way to add it to the package. I think the resolution is too low for VTTs, but I'd love to be wrong.
      Looking at my Pathfinder pdf, the resolution looks fine. What we really need are "player" maps without the area numbers, "players start here," and npc location markers.

      Please.
    1. Monkey King's Avatar
      Monkey King -
      Quote Originally Posted by epithet View Post
      Looking at my Pathfinder pdf, the resolution looks fine. What we really need are "player" maps without the area numbers, "players start here," and npc location markers.

      Please.
      Absolutely! The 16 maps for this project (so far, maybe more before it's over) will have a keyed, DM-friendly version and an unlabelled version for players. (Possibly gridless for Roll20 users.)

      Courts needs all those labels removed. At the time, VTTs were less of a thing.
    1. epithet's Avatar
      epithet -
      Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
      ...
      Courts needs all those labels removed. At the time, VTTs were less of a thing.
      Hopefully the artist has the original files handy, and all those doodads are in a discrete layer.

      For Fantasy Grounds, gridless maps are the way to go as well. While you always see a grid on FG screenshots, the grid is added by the software. If your map already has a grid on it, the FG grid on top of it can look kinda crappy. A lot of the maps made for FG will have a guide square in a corner that the DM can use to set the grid.
    1. smiteworks's Avatar
      smiteworks -
      Even better than that, we will normally preset the FG grid placement for the map.
    1. Monkey King's Avatar
      Monkey King -
      Quote Originally Posted by epithet View Post
      For Fantasy Grounds, gridless maps are the way to go as well. While you always see a grid on FG screenshots, the grid is added by the software. If your map already has a grid on it, the FG grid on top of it can look kinda crappy.
      Fortunately, I can confirm that these maps all will come gridless and preset for FG grids from the software. They'll also have a grid version or layer for those who want to, for instance, use them with a projector.
    Comments Leave Comment