Playing D&D In Virtual Reality

And no, that doesn't mean playing a D&D video game. It means playing round a virtual game table with virtual dice! (thanks to Sean for the scoop). I don't know if this looks awesome or awful. It's from a small VR company called AltspaceVR, using Oculus VR headsets. Apparently there was some level of collaboration with WotC, who provided some art assets for the project. The commercial version of the app is coming in 2016. I think the easiest way to understand it is to just watch the video!

And no, that doesn't mean playing a D&D video game. It means playing round a virtual game table with virtual dice! (thanks to Sean for the scoop). I don't know if this looks awesome or awful. It's from a small VR company called AltspaceVR, using Oculus VR headsets. Apparently there was some level of collaboration with WotC, who provided some art assets for the project. The commercial version of the app is coming in 2016. I think the easiest way to understand it is to just watch the video!

[video=youtube;gp3uLoXQCyI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp3uLoXQCyI[/video]​

Banesfinger

Explorer
Well, it is pretty difficult to tell anything about the product: if you ignore all the WotC clip footage, there is only about 20 seconds of actual video of the Virtual product.

What does this product bring to the table (<-- bad pun) that other Virtual Table Top (VTT) programs don't? Who would be the target audience?

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Meh. I'd rather seen my remote player's faces via skype. Then when they are describing their actions, everyone can see their hand motions and facial expressions. Pretty sure my FG setup is also cheaper and more useful than getting an occulus rift.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Meh. I'd rather seen my remote player's faces via skype. Then when they are describing their actions, everyone can see their hand motions and facial expressions. Pretty sure my FG setup is also cheaper and more useful than getting an occulus rift.

I wonder if VT in 5 or 10 years will do that - map the avatar so accurately and relocate your expressions and movement that you pretty much are in the room.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I wonder if VT in 5 or 10 years will do that - map the avatar so accurately and relocate your expressions and movement that you pretty much are in the room.

You will probably have to wait a little longer than that, as the display tech doesn't really allow a good look at the face to get expressions off of it. So long as we are stuck with "give each eye a separate image," for 3d display, you'll probably be limited in that way, as you'll likely have an opaque display over each eye.

Remove ads

Remove ads