Gail Gygax On Memorial Funds & Legal Expenses

Amidst the whirl of debate that sprang up in response to the recent news about the Gygax trademark and Gary Gygax's widow, Gail, and sons Luke and Ernie, one question was asked frequently -- the legal dispute was an expensive endeavour (in the region of six figures, according to some speculation) and a number of folks wondered whether it had eaten into funds set aside for the Gygax Memorial Fund (administered by Gail Gygax to create a memorial statue of her late husband). I figured the most expedient thing to do was to simply ask her.

Amidst the whirl of debate that sprang up in response to the recent news about the Gygax trademark and Gary Gygax's widow, Gail, and sons Luke and Ernie, one question was asked frequently -- the legal dispute was an expensive endeavour (in the region of six figures, according to some speculation) and a number of folks wondered whether it had eaten into funds set aside for the Gygax Memorial Fund (administered by Gail Gygax to create a memorial statue of her late husband). I figured the most expedient thing to do was to simply ask her.

We're talking two different entities here. Both are headed by Gail Gygax. One is called The Gygax Memorial Fund (GMF) and the other is the Gail C. Gygax Revocable Trust (Gygax Trust).

I'd add that other questions have circulated that I do not feel comfortable asking; I feel those issues are between the family members involved. However, the Memorial Fund is, of course, a more public affair. Here's what Gail Gygax answered when I asked her about the funding situation for the legal dispute and the Memorial Fund (bearing in mind it's Thanksgiving today in the US):

"The Gygax Memorial Fund is a 501 c 3 Corp. All tax returns have been filed and all donations accounted for. The GMF does not pay Mrs. Gygax a salary for her endless hours of service nor has it loaned her or the Gygax Trust any funds. Unfortunately, on the heals of a press release regarding the "Gygax" trademark, it would seem certain individuals are out to sabotage the efforts of the GMF by engaging in wild speculation and mis-leading statements. This only serves to hurt the memory of E. Gary Gygax."

It also seems that Gail Gygax has agreed to answer some questions about the GMF over at the blog Tenkar's Tavern.

The Gygax Memorial Fund has a website. The fund was started about 6 years ago, shortly after the passing of Gary Gygax. In 2014 a proposal sketch of the statue/plinth was revealed (below). You can also read about it at Lake Geneva News.

gygax.jpg

There is wild speculation because nothing has been heard about the Memorial for a year! Charities need to be especially open and keep the communication going. Any negative press is filling the void left by no news, why aren't there monthly (at least) update of funding level and progress reports?

All in all, not how a public charity should be run. I don't have any thoughts there is anything 'dodgy' going on but please keep us informed! In my mind I had written it off as not going to happen because it had all gone quiet, like a poorly run kickstarter!

tenkar

Old School Blogger
The questions that will be presented to Gail Gygax will deal with the Gygax Memorial Fund and not the surrounding Gygaxian drama. I've had a number of questions submitted by the community to me already via comments on the blog side, G+, Facebook and email as well as other questions that have come to my mind.

I've heard many rumors and I'm hoping the answers will clear things up for everyone involved.

As for the Gygax Memorial Fund website itself, it's no secret that it hasn't been regularly updated. I was surprised to find to folks listed as involved with the fund that were surprised themselves to see that they were listed as involved with the fund. One of many things that will hopefully get cleared up.

JohnRTroy

Adventurer
One thing that also should be established is that there was a "Gygax Family Memorial" (exact name) that was founded by some of Gary's Children, that was the one of the Dragon curled around a tower that appeared at an early GaryCon. Not sure if the funds for that were used for the current plaque in Lake Geneva or not.

I figure it's important to point that out because a few people thought both were the same and vice versa, and people who may have contributed to one fund thinking they were united should realize both were separate entities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
All in all, not how a public charity should be run.

Yes, well, frequently the person in place to run a very small charity is not one who has a great administration skillset.

It is very, very easy to point at others and say, "Look, they're doing it wrong!" Being critical is way, way easier than actually doing the job.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, well, frequently the person in place to run a very small charity is not one who has a great administration skillset.

It is very, very easy to point at others and say, "Look, they're doing it wrong!" Being critical is way, way easier than actually doing the job.
You are entirely correct, it is easier to criticise than do. However Gail seems to have realised that you can get help like lawyers, so she should do the same with running a charity. But, imo, posting an update every month or so is both common sense and easy. And there would be a lot of people out there who would offer to help gratis

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
You are entirely correct, it is easier to criticise than do. However Gail seems to have realised that you can get help like lawyers, so she should do the same with running a charity.

Okay, so now she uses charity money to hire help, meaning the charity now needs *more* money?

But, imo, posting an update every month or so is both common sense and easy.

And, what if things develop slowly? The problem with regular communications is that they look really bad if there's nothing to say.

And there would be a lot of people out there who would offer to help gratis

Yeah, and how, pray tell, does Gail know which offers are worth taking? The volunteers likely live hundreds or thousands of miles away, remember. If a random person on the internet offers to help you manage money, do *you* take them up on it? Probably not. And how many gamers have the experience specifically for this kind of project? I've done some charity work, and that only amounted to about $10,000, with support from a much larger organization, and that was a great deal of effort that ate my life for some time.

The point is that managing charities, even simple ones, is non-trivial.

Remove ads

Remove ads