The Archmage (aka Ed Greenwood) Returns to the Forgotten Realms
  • [UPDATED] The Archmage (aka Ed Greenwood) Returns to the Forgotten Realms


    Forgotten Realms creator Ed Greenwood has announced that he will be using the opportunities afforded by WotC's new Dungeon Master's Guild platform to return to the Realms with a series of annual region guides and four adventures. These will be published by The Ed Greenwood Group. Additionally, Greenwood is writing and publishing an annual two-volume set of novellas and adventures starring Mirt, the first Forgotten Realms character.



    "The Ed Greenwood Group is pleased to announce a special Forgotten Realms® project: guides and adventures that explore the unexplored. Each year Ed Greenwood, The Archmage, will write a guide to a different part of the Realms and to accompany this guide his company will publish four role playing adventures. Three adventures will come from the minds of his Sessoirum of Creatives and one slot a year will be held open for a contribution from the Realms fans.

    Details on how fans can submit their works for considerations with more on the adventures and guides will be posted at www.OnderLibrum.com soon.

    The guides and adventures will be published by The Ed Greenwood Group, supported by Onder Broadcasting and made available to the public via Wizards of the Coast’s Dungeon Master’s Guild program and OneBookshelf, their designated distributor

    IN ADDITION

    The Office of Ed Greenwood is pleased to announce that Ed Greenwood, The Archmage, will be writing a brand new series of linked novellas and adventures featuring Mirt, the very first character in the Forgotten Realms®. This annual two-volume set will be published by The Ed Greenwood Group, supported by Onder Broadcasting and made available to the public via Wizards of the Coast’s Dungeon Master’s Guild program and OneBookshelf, their designated distributor."


    UPDATE FROM MORRUS -- Ed dropped me a quick note to say "Let's call them Mirt "stories" rather than "novellas." MUCH shorter than novels, is the plan. Mirt goes to a little-detailed place. Mirt stories, NOT novels, end of the year. Mirt goes to a neglected Realms locale in a story, Volo's Guide to same spot, plus game adventure".
    Comments 62 Comments
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      I've merged the two threads on this.
    1. Nylanfs's Avatar
      Nylanfs -
      interesting
    1. Kramodlog's Avatar
      Kramodlog -
      Interesting. I wonder if we'll see the rise of two competing (in the eyes of the fans) FR cannon with this. On one side the Greenwood material and on the other the WotC material.
    1. DEFCON 1's Avatar
      DEFCON 1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by goldomark View Post
      Interesting. I wonder if we'll see the rise of two competing (in the eyes of the fans) FR cannon with this. On one side the Greenwood material and on the other the WotC material.
      I would imagine that WotC probably doesn't care either way and would be more than fine with that. I'd suspect that it's really certain players who care much more about "timeline canon!" and who might get bent out of shape if Ed writes from a divergent POV. After all... 4E and 5E were both editions that WotC did their best to alleviate the symptoms of "too much history" (both by jumping forward 100 years, and then Sundering things back to the tone of the 2E era) in hopes of giving players an easier baseline to start their games from. I'd have to think they'd be thrilled if all players actually had the attitude of "I'll start my campaign from this X point in Realms history because that's what'll work best for me"... as opposed to constantly complaining that there's no up-to-date historical record of every section of the Realms "today" from whence they set their stories.

      So if Ed creates a "new" Greenwood Realms timeline, WotC will probably say "thank you!!!"
    1. Lehrbuch's Avatar
      Lehrbuch -
      Quote Originally Posted by DEFCON 1 View Post
      I would imagine that WotC probably doesn't care either way and would be more than fine with that...

      So if Ed creates a "new" Greenwood Realms timeline, WotC will probably say "thank you!!!"
      Absolutely. WotC won't care about the possibility of divergent timelines. You're playing D&D either way.
    1. Xavian Starsider's Avatar
      Xavian Starsider -
      Quote Originally Posted by goldomark View Post
      Interesting. I wonder if we'll see the rise of two competing (in the eyes of the fans) FR cannon with this. On one side the Greenwood material and on the other the WotC material.
      I hope so. Competition in the cannon industry will bring down the price of gunpowder for Faerunian consumers.

      But seriously. This isn't Star Wars. Neither Greenwood nor WOTC dictate FR canon. In the world of RPGs, novels, published settings, video games and even the upcoming movie are secondary and tertiary to the true canon: what happens in your game.

      And that's how Wizards wants it.
    1. Kramodlog's Avatar
      Kramodlog -
      Quote Originally Posted by DEFCON 1 View Post
      So if Ed creates a "new" Greenwood Realms timeline, WotC will probably say "thank you!!!"
      Maybe. Maybe not. A lot of fans will put Ed's product above WotC's. We've seen with 4e that people won't buy FR stuff just because the FR logo is on it, so some fans could stop buying WotC's FR AP because they are clashing with Ed's take on the FR. They will get some revenues from DmG, but the bread and butter are the APs. Perkins said they want to sell 100,000+ copies per book. Ed could be a problem. Especially if he sells his PDFs 3 or 4 dollars a pop. 50% of that ain't much cash for WotC even if Ed sells maybe copies. Heck, maybe WotC will take less of the revenues since he is Ed Greenwood.

      Its gonna be interesting to follow.
    1. Pauper's Avatar
      Pauper -
      There's already a 'separate' Greenwood Realms canon, published as 'Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms' in October of 2012.

      With that said, having Greenwood publish Realms material on the DMs Guild is pretty much a no-brainer.
    1. Kramodlog's Avatar
      Kramodlog -
      Quote Originally Posted by Xavian Starsider View Post
      Neither Greenwood nor WOTC dictate FR canon.
      Go to Candlekeep forums and see what some fans think about that.
    1. Polyhedral_Columbia's Avatar
      Polyhedral_Columbia -
      So we are free to publish novellas and novels set in the FR, via DM Guild? Sweet.

      I forgot that the FR designers from years past could publish via DM Guild. Great!

      Looking forward to roll out of the other D&D worlds -- then Bruce Heard's Mystara will, at long last, become available. Better do it before the oldtimers die!
    1. DEFCON 1's Avatar
      DEFCON 1 -
      Quote Originally Posted by goldomark View Post
      Maybe. Maybe not. A lot of fans will put Ed's product above WotC's. We've seen with 4e that people won't buy FR stuff just because the FR logo is on it, so some fans could stop buying WotC's FR AP because they are clashing with Ed's take on the FR. They will get some revenues from DmG, but the bread and butter are the APs. Perkins said they want to sell 100,000+ copies per book. Ed could be a problem. Especially if he sells his PDFs 3 or 4 dollars a pop. 50% of that ain't much cash for WotC even if Ed sells maybe copies. Heck, maybe WotC will take less of the revenues since he is Ed Greenwood.

      Its gonna be interesting to follow.
      I would venture a guess that the number of people who are buying the adventure paths for the Forgotten Realms history only and don't care a lick about the adventure itself... is exceedingly small enough that WotC probably isn't worried about that loss of revenue if they switch over to just buying Ed's historical documents instead. The other 99% of purchasers of the APs are buying them because there's actual adventure material in it, and thus Ed's stuff wouldn't replace it.
    1. Xavian Starsider's Avatar
      Xavian Starsider -
      Quote Originally Posted by goldomark View Post
      Go to Candlekeep forums and see what some fans think about that.
      If they disagree, they're wrong. Forgotten Realms is a sandbox for the world's greatest storytelling game. The stories you tell cannot be superseded by any other source including official ones. If I decide that in my story, Icewind Dale is full of dinosaurs and Chult is full of yetis, Candlekeep cannot override me. For my players, it becomes the primary canon.
    1. Irennan's Avatar
      Irennan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pauper View Post
      There's already a 'separate' Greenwood Realms canon, published as 'Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms' in October of 2012.

      With that said, having Greenwood publish Realms material on the DMs Guild is pretty much a no-brainer.
      Elminster's FR is not Ed's original ''canon''. His FR doesn't even include the ToT and hasn't even reached the 1370s, AFAIK, while that book even includes info about the 1400s DR.

      The book includes some of his original notes and design, sure, but only stuff that is compatible with the official timeline.
    1. Irennan's Avatar
      Irennan -
      Quote Originally Posted by Xavian Starsider View Post
      If they disagree, they're wrong. Forgotten Realms is a sandbox for the world's greatest storytelling game. The stories you tell cannot be superseded by any other source including official ones. If I decide that in my story, Icewind Dale is full of dinosaurs and Chult is full of yetis, Candlekeep cannot override me. For my players, it becomes the primary canon.
      No one over Candlekeep, or possibly anywhere, will disagree with you on that. However WotC/Ed's lore obviously ''dictate'' canon of the published version of the Realms.
    1. Irennan's Avatar
      Irennan -
      Also, we still don't know if Ed will write in the official timeline, or use his own. His books might very well be set in the 5e era.
    1. Morrus's Avatar
      Morrus -
      Ed dropped me a quick note to say "Let's call them Mirt "stories" rather than "novellas." MUCH shorter than novels, is the plan. Mirt goes to a little-detailed place. Mirt stories, NOT novels, end of the year. Mirt goes to a neglected Realms locale in a story, Volo's Guide to same spot, plus game adventure".
    1. FallenAkriel's Avatar
      FallenAkriel -
      I feel that Forgotten Realms is now given back to the people. I definitively dont see WotC exploring it much more. We can see it with them having Ravenloft as the next adventure. I expect in the future big adventures-friendly for Eberron, Planescape, Dark Sun in the next few years. Sure they will porbably be compatible/adaptable to Forgotten Realms.

      Ed Greenwood is such a great news for pure Realms fans for new/revised content. Back to 1E/2E setting books feel!
    1. GobiWon's Avatar
      GobiWon -
      I think that there is enough reverence for Greenwood that anything he produces will be considered canon. Even if it deviates from published materials, I think WotC will do their best to fit it in or explain the discrepancies away. There might even be an agreement to physically publish the material if sales hit a certain point.
    1. Jeremy E Grenemyer's Avatar
      Jeremy E Grenemyer -
      I hope WotC decides to spend a little bit of time going over ***all*** of the NDA material for the Realms that they (and TSR before them) have been sitting on for years (meaning completed writing jobs by Ed, and possibly others, as well as supplementary/helper material of the kind that Ed regularly sent in to WotC, for projects that never saw the light of day in publication), with the goal of figuring out what they can free up from NDA status, so Ed can publish it in some form to the DMs Guild.

      This way WotC could at least obtain some money for previously unpublished work.

      There are a ton of fan questions posed to Ed at Candlekeep that have been left unanswered because of the dreaded NDA wall, as well as "things left hanging" in the Realms, that could be answered if WotC saw fit to allow NDA information to go free, so to speak.

      New Volo's Guides would be the perfect avenue for that information.

      Could Sean Reynolds be tapped for something like this? He's worked for TSR, and for WotC, and has plenty of Realms design experience. If anyone can successfully navigate through the history of Realms publishing, it's him.
    1. Irennan's Avatar
      Irennan -
      Quote Originally Posted by GobiWon View Post
      I think that there is enough reverence for Greenwood that anything he produces will be considered canon. Even if it deviates from published materials, I think WotC will do their best to fit it in or explain the discrepancies away. There might even be an agreement to physically publish the material if sales hit a certain point.
      It's also in Ed's contract that anything he says/writes about the FR is considered canon, unless contradicted by WotC. However, if Ed writes in the current 5e era, I think that there might be some agreements with WotC.
    Comments Leave Comment