Sean's Picks of the Week (0125-0129) - Original D&D, Rifts, Savage Worlds, Retrostar, and MORE!

It's been over a week since I got out of the hospital from my operation, and I want to thank you all for the kind wishes and support. It was rough going that first week (as anyone who follows me on Facebook can attest), but the journey's gotten progressively easier, and I am doing much better. More on that later. As for this week's Picks, you've got quite an assortment - a game that calls back to the 70s by design, and the original D&D from the 70s bookend a number of other cool offerings. Ours is a deep, rich, and varied hobby with so many exceptional choices. As always, I hope I can help you make a few.

It's been over a week since I got out of the hospital from my operation, and I want to thank you all for the kind wishes and support. It was rough going that first week (as anyone who follows me on Facebook can attest), but the journey's gotten progressively easier, and I am doing much better. More on that later. As for this week's Picks, you've got quite an assortment - a game that calls back to the 70s by design, and the original D&D from the 70s bookend a number of other cool offerings. Ours is a deep, rich, and varied hobby with so many exceptional choices. As always, I hope I can help you make a few.

Now Playing in Theaters: Far-Away Galaxies

Retrostar is a game that takes you to the great days of 70’s and early 80’s sci-fi television, in that inestimable genre-savvy way that Spectrum handles everything they touch. Just like J.J., now they want to take you to Far-Away Galaxies on the big screen!

With this supplement, Retrostar makes the leap from the television screen to the silver screen! Within these pages, you’ll find:

• A modified time management system!

• Character creation adjustments!

• Game rules that more accurately portray the big-screen adventures, including on-the-fly SFX, injuries, “Act 3” Showrunner Characters, Teasers and more!

• Rules for using Intentions as “saving throws”, which can also be used for normal games of Retrostar as well!

• Sample SFX, including Light Swords and Cosmic Mind Powers!

• A modified character sheet!

• Amazing new art by Brent Sprecher!

The Republic of Texas

Fans of cyberpunk and Savage Worlds fans will both enjoy a trip to the Lone Star State in this latest Interface Zero 2.0 release – the Republic of Texas.

Ask any Texan and they’ll tell you that life in the Republic is about one thing: freedom. Life here isn’t a cakewalk, but it’s far better to die on your feet than live on your knees. That’s Texas in 2090, amigo, better get used to it. Learn what it means to be a citizen in the Lone Star and how Texans remember the breakup of the old nation in order to form their more perfect union. This is a land where freedom reigns supreme because it’s surrounded by enemies and uncertain allies on all sides.

Engage in high-tech espionage in the new range wars. Go south and live lawless, or head to the Austin-Antonio sprawl and get closer to the center of power or trapped in an AI/gang turf war. Plunge head first into the Runenberg Corporation’s financial data fortress nicknamed “the Mountain.” It’ll take more than gumption to survive, but it’s a start. You in?

New Archetypes and Occupations decidedly Texan

• What it’s like living in the Lone Star in 2090
  • Stock up with new weapons, golemmechs and vehicles with a Texas flair
  • Gear that makes Texas feel like the Wild West
  • Dozens of threats from within the Republic ready to slug it out
  • Bioforms of classic Texan stock weaponized to keep you awake at night
  • Enough hooks to keep you exploring the Republic

Chaos Earth

For anyone wanting to discover the “lost history” of Rifts Earth – and, more to the point, play through it – this is one of the latest additions to the Palladium catalog on DriveThruRPG and a serious hit with fans.

Chaos Earth® is a complete role-playing game with its own, unique, stand-alone setting.

Player characters are heroes lost in the throes of the Apocalypse. Equipped with the most advanced robots, power armor and weapons in the world, they refuse to give up, and fight against overwhelming odds to save some fraction of humankind. Meanwhile, nightmarish creatures swarm to Earth through Rifts – tears in the very fabric of space and time – to torment and prey upon the survivors of the Great Cataclysm. Earth is quickly being transformed into an alien landscape, and the player characters are humankind’s last and best hope for survival.

It is the end of the world as we know it and the dynamic prequel to the ever popular Rifts® RPG series. See how it all began and carve out your own place in Rifts® history.

• Overview and history of the Great Cataclysm.
  • Introduction of NEMA – the heroes of the Northern Eagle Military Alliance who struggle to save lives and bring peace to chaos.
  • 11 different character classes, including power armor and robot pilots, the Para-Arcane, Demon & Witch Hunter, Chromium Guardsman, Silver Eagle and more.
  • Background setting, missions and adventure ideas by the dozen.
  • Weapons, robots, power armor, vehicles and equipment.
  • Monsters and madness.
  • Compatible with Rifts® and all its sourcebooks.
  • 160 pages by Kevin Siembieda.

Cyphercast Mag Bundle 1-4

Fans of Monte Cook’s Cypher system have a digital magazine option that occupies the space Dragon did for D&D and Rifter does for Palladium. If you’ve been curious, here’s a fantastic bundle to get you caught up on the first four issues at a really sweet price.

Dungeons & Dragons Original Edition

This felt like a good way to end the week. If you’ve ever wondered what really started it all, and what that first game actually looked (and played) like, here you go.

First published in January 1974, the original edition rules of Dungeons & Dragons would go on to see six different printings. This edition is for the Original Collector’s Edition released By Wizards of the Coast in 2013, which was itself a revision of the 6th and final printing, the “Original Collector’s Edition” or white box edition.

You get all three books contained in the original boxed set: Men & Magic, Monsters & Treasure, and Underworld & Wilderness Adventures plus the Reference Sheets booklet.

Great to read and still great to play, the original edition shows you where the roleplaying hobby began and the original version of the game that spawned a hobby and so much more.

Product History [EXCERPTS]

The Original Dungeons & Dragons (1974), by Gary Gygax & Dave Arneson, is the debut edition of the world’s first tabletop roleplaying game. It was published in January 1974.

The origins of Dungeons & Dragons have been discussed at much greater length elsewhere. Jon Peterson’s Playing at the World (2012) is the premier source, while this historian’s own Designers & Dragons: The ’70s devotes a full 10 pages to the subject. What follows is only a synopsis.

Origins (I): Finding the Fantasy. Gary Gygax became intrigued by medieval miniatures wargames at Gen Con I (1968). He then formed the Lake Geneva Tactical Studies Association in 1969 to support his new interest, where he was joined by Donald Kaye, Jeff Perren, Rob Kuntz, and others. However, Perren decided to do more than just play: he wrote a few pages of rules for medieval miniatures wargaming. Gygax developed Perren’s rules, then published the “Geneva Medieval Miniatures” in the Panzerfaust fanzine (April 1970), later expanding them in Domesday Book #5 (July 1970).

When Gygax became editor of the “Wargaming with Miniatures” series for Guidon Games he led off with a further expansion of the LGTSA Medieval Miniatures rules: a miniatures rulebook called Chainmail (1971). It included a 14-page “fantasy supplement” that featured rules for heroes, superheroes, and wizards — the last of which had spells like fire ball, lightning bolt, and phantasmal force. At this point, some of D&D’s core ideas were obviously beginning to appear.

Origins (II): Traveling to Twin Cities. The next step in the evolution of Dungeons & Dragons came thanks to another collaborator: Dave Arneson. His story begins with the “Braunstein” games of Dave Wesely, who was running Napoleonic miniatures games where players took on the roles of individual characters.

After Wesely’s Army Reserve unit was called up to active duty, other players ran Braunsteins of their own, sometimes in different settings. One of these was Dave Arneson’s “medieval Braunstein”, which he called “Black Moor”. Arneson used Gygax and Perren’s Chainmail game for its combat, but otherwise it followed the Braunstein idea of players running individual characters.

At first, Arneson’s players fought medieval miniatures battles that were typical of the genre … other than the fact that they had characters that gained experienced over time. Then in late 1971 or early 1972 the Blackmoor group moved into the dungeons (using a plastic kit of a Sicilian castle that Arneson owned).

Arneson showed Gygax his Blackmoor game in late 1972. Gygax then began to revise and expand these proto-D&D rules, publishing drafts to the miniatures gaming community in 1973. By mid ’73, he was ready to publish their game, but both Guidon Games and Avalon Hill turned him down.

To bring Dungeons & Dragons to market would require a leap of faith …

~~~~~

So I am losing weight like crazy, and it's only been just over a week since the surgery. At this rate, I imagine folks won't recognize me come Gen Con! It's not easy, though - and don't let anyone ever tell you having bariatric surgery is a "cheat" or the "easy way out." Just ask anyone who's had to live with me through all this. It's been... hard on them. Still, the goal is ahead, and I am pretty excited about it. Heck, I was even talking about possibly really taking up some pro wrestling training, and/or starting up my old LARP I designed back in the early 90s.

This weekend turned out to be pretty wide-open, which is good, because I think I am going to use it to get some more writing and creative work done on my various projects (especially Savage Rifts and Prowlers & Paragons/Modern Gods). Then again, someone will end up suggesting something cool somewhere. This is Denver, after all. The only really planned thing is tonight's usual Friday Night Gaming (still up in the air what we will be doing) and the Big Don and I will be attending a special NRW show in Broomfield tomorrow night.

Hope you have a greet weekend ahead!

The Adventure Continues!

~SPF

Remove ads

Remove ads