13TH AGE Battle Scenes: A Sneak Preview Of The Upcoming Book Of Set Piece Battles


  • Roll20's TYRANNY OF DRAGONS Twitch Show Starring...

    Although Fantasy Grounds is the official licensed Dungeons & Dragon virtual tabletop, it seems that Roll20 is getting in on the D&D action by partnering with D&D Adventurer's League! DDAL is the official organised play campaign for D&D 5E (as you probably know), and will be providing art, maps, and adventures to Roll20's GM-in-Residence Adam Koebel for a Twitch show, beginning with...

    Read More

    News Digest: Dungeons & Dragons Movie News,...

    Hello everyone, Darryl here with your weekly overview of gaming news! This week, we have Dungeons & Dragons movie casting, new GAMA board members, a Barnes & Noble gaming push, Star Trek gaming news, and a lot more! Warner Bros announced that...

    Read More

    ENnies Judge Application and Fan Favorite...

    Starting today and running through Thursday, July 7, any person who wants to run for a spot as a 2017 ENnies Judge will have the chance to nominate themselves. Voting will go live along with the award nominees from July 11th – 21st. If you think you have what it takes, run for Judge! While you’re at it, please sign up your favorite publisher for Fan Favorite...

    Read More
  • 13TH AGE Battle Scenes: A Sneak Preview Of The Upcoming Book Of Set Piece Battles


    An important skill in running a combat encounter in a tabletop roleplaying games is creating varied and interesting battles. To that end, Pelgrane Press has a new book coming out entitled High Magic and Low Cunning: Battle Scenes for Five Icons, which contains no less than 45 set piece battle encounters designed for various tiers of play. These battle scenes are connected to five of the setting's thirteen Icons: the Orc Lord, Prince of Shadows, Archmage, High Druid, and The Three. Pelgrane has very kindly sent me along a preview of the third battle in "Rafting Razoredge Gorge", the Orc Lord themed series of battles. The PCs have been rafting down a river while being attacked by orcs, and now they've come to a stop right beside the main orc camp. Take a look!


    High Magic & Low Cunning: Battle Scenes for Five Icons brings you 45 challenging and memorable sets of battles, against enemies connected to the Orc Lord, Prince of Shadows, Archmage, High Druid, and The Three. Drop these fights into your game at every tier of play from adventurer to epic, and bring them to life with gorgeous maps by our expert cartographers.
    With High Magic & Low Cunning, you can:

    • Give the PCs compelling reasons to fight based on their icon relationships, their stories, and your campaign
    • Pit them against NPCs and monsters whose icon connections make them meaningful opponents—not just random foes
    • Use traps and terrain to provide a challenging environment with opportunities for clever tactics
    • Unleash all-new monsters on the PCs, along with new magic items to wield in battle.
    • Easily adjust battles to make them easier, or harder
    • Use the provided storylines to link each battle to the ones that come after, taking the PCs from one full heal-up to the next using only the battles in the set – with room to expand on these stories to fill multiple sessions of gameplay.

    From a white-knuckle white-water ride past orcish hordes, to abseiling kobolds and a perilous magical cloud fortress, High Magic & Low Cunning takes your players on an unforgettable journey to adventure.
    You can also get the complete set of High Magic & Low Cunning printed color maps in the High Magic & Low Cunning Map Folio.


    Comments 19 Comments
    1. JeffB's Avatar
      JeffB -
      This looks super cool! I got very excited about this, and went to pre-order.


      :screechinghalt:

      $30.00 for a PDF is nuckin futs.

      $40 + shipping for a softcover and PDF is still nuts.

      Maybe it's the exchange rate, IDK, but everything from Pelgrane is super expensive.
    1. Zaukrie's Avatar
      Zaukrie -
      Ya, that seems pricey for a pdf. Looks cool though, I love their work.
    1. RedSiegfried's Avatar
      RedSiegfried -
      Yeah, it might seem a bit pricey but I didn't blink too much. You do get a 192 page book, a 90 page color map folio, and the pdfs for your $40.

      I'm kind of excited about this so I ordered. I don't need the stories so much, though I do sometimes like to skim them, but I do like to have lots of combat set piece ideas to drop into my stories. What would be even cooler is if the maps were scaled to standard minis since we love to play with full size tactical battle maps and miniatures - makes that relative position thing and intercepting a lot easier.
    1. Desh-Rae-Halra's Avatar
      Desh-Rae-Halra -
      Did I miss the map dimensions? Are they fold out 18 x 24?
      I sure like the idea, but the map looks like it was made in MS Paint
    1. JeffB's Avatar
      JeffB -
      Quote Originally Posted by RedSiegfried View Post
      You do get a 192 page book, a 90 page color map folio, and the pdfs for your $40..
      I missed the bit about the print map folio. That isn't a benefit for me personally, but that makes the price more bearable for some , I am sure.

      Am I reading correctly that if one wants the map folio PDF and the book PDF,the price is $50? ($19.95+ $29.95) It's cheaper (not including shipping) for the Print? (edit- with print, you get PDFs...of both? or just the book?)
    1. Jer's Avatar
      Jer -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post

      Am I reading correctly that if one wants the map folio PDF and the book PDF,the price is $50? ($19.95+ $29.95) It's cheaper (not including shipping) for the Print? (edit- with print, you get PDFs...of both? or just the book?)
      Those are all Print+PDF prices - that's how Pelgrane does new releases. PDF only will be released some time after the initial Print+PDF release. I think usually a few months after, but since I always buy in print I can't say for sure.
    1. Zaukrie's Avatar
      Zaukrie -
      Ah, I misunderstood the post above mine.
    1. Desh-Rae-Halra's Avatar
      Desh-Rae-Halra -
      Do you tear the maps out of the folio or are they just to look at to get the idea?
      Do they have any kind of 1" grid on them?
      Are there 2 versions of each, one for the players and 1 for the GM?
    1. Pelgrane's Avatar
      Pelgrane -
      High Magic and Low Cunning is 192 pages in print, with the PDF included, as well as the PDF of the map folio. It includes 45 battles scenes like the one above. The book is $30.

      If you want the map folio in print form, loose, letter size, with both GM and player maps, it's an additional $10.

      13th Age doesn't uses grids, so we don't include one.
    1. fjw70's Avatar
      fjw70 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pelgrane View Post
      High Magic and Low Cunning is 192 pages in print, with the PDF included, as well as the PDF of the map folio. It includes 45 battles scenes like the one above. The book is $30.

      If you want the map folio in print form, loose, letter size, with both GM and player maps, it's an additional $10.

      13th Age doesn't uses grids, so we don't include one.
      Are the maps scaled for use with minis (1" = 5')?
    1. Desh-Rae-Halra's Avatar
      Desh-Rae-Halra -
      thanks for clarifying!
      I think I am too habituated to terrain to imagine putting all those minis on a letter size sheet of paper....would seem like it would be jammed up.
      I hope the product does well because I really like Pelgrane!
    1. Pelgrane's Avatar
      Pelgrane -
      Quote Originally Posted by Desh-Rae-Halra View Post
      thanks for clarifying!
      I think I am too habituated to terrain to imagine putting all those minis on a letter size sheet of paper....would seem like it would be jammed up.
      I hope the product does well because I really like Pelgrane!
      Thanks for your kind words - it's selling well!

      The maps aren't intended for miniatures, but to help the players picture the terrain and environment. When I ran this last year for my group, having the printed out full colour map in the center of the table really helped.
    1. RedSiegfried's Avatar
      RedSiegfried -
      Quote Originally Posted by Pelgrane View Post
      Thanks for your kind words - it's selling well!

      The maps aren't intended for miniatures, but to help the players picture the terrain and environment. When I ran this last year for my group, having the printed out full colour map in the center of the table really helped.
      I know it would add considerably to the production costs and final price, but would you consider for future releases having battlemaps scaled to 1" = 5' ? Not sure how many people are as big on minis and tactical positioning as my group is, and how many people go theater of the mind, but consider this a vote for full-sized battlemaps.

      I love your products - 13th Age is my favorite RPG now and our regular group is having a great time telling their characters' stories with the help of the BG, OUT and Icon rules. I've even ported these rules to our 4e game as well.

      Thanks!
    1. arunwe2012's Avatar
      arunwe2012 -
      Hi, I need some clarification about this product...what does the Bundle include? It's priced at 26,50 pounds, does this include the book and colour maps printed plus pdf of all of them?
    1. arunwe2012's Avatar
      arunwe2012 -
      By the way, seems like a very interesting product. I am really loving all 13th Age line and has become my favourite D20 RPG - even above D&D 5th Edition! Last product I've bought is Eyes of the Stone Thief and was absolutely astonished by the high quality of this book. Keep up the good work Pelgrane!
    1. JeffB's Avatar
      JeffB -
      Quote Originally Posted by arunwe2012 View Post
      Hi, I need some clarification about this product...what does the Bundle include? It's priced at 26,50 pounds, does this include the book and colour maps printed plus pdf of all of them?
      The pre-order page is confusing for sure. They should leave out the pdf release dates on the print product header.
    1. Tony Vargas -
      Quote Originally Posted by JeffB View Post
      :screechinghalt:

      $30.00 for a PDF is nuckin futs.

      $40 + shipping for a softcover and PDF is still nuts.
      When you think about it, if we were used to buying a D&D book a month back in 2008-10, there should be plenty of room in our budget, now, given the number of D&D books that have come out in the last few years.
    1. JeffB's Avatar
      JeffB -
      Quote Originally Posted by Tony Vargas View Post
      When you think about it, if we were used to buying a D&D book a month back in 2008-10, there should be plenty of room in our budget, now, given the number of D&D books that have come out in the last few years.
      That wasnt me then, nor is a $40 purchase for gaming material easy to justify in my budget now as I took a 30% paycut at the end of last year.

      If your budget warrants, good for you, but don't make assumptions about mine, thanks.
    1. Pelgrane's Avatar
      Pelgrane -
      Hi, the pricing has clearly caused some confusion, for which I apologise.

      The High Magic and Low Cunning print book is $30 - not $40. It includes the PDF of the book and the PDF of all the maps in full colour (the Map Folio). The book is a 192 page softcover.

      We are also offering a bundle, which includes the book in print, plus the Map Folio in print plus the two PDFs for $40 - though this price will increase shortly.

      The PDF-only versions will be available after the print version is released.
    + Post Comment