RuneQuest Design Notes; And Getting The Band Back Together

Chaosium's Jeff Richard has posted some 'designer notes' regarding its upcoming edition of RuneQuest (slated for a Gen Con release in August). In those notes, he discusses the four primary design goals: set it in Glorantha, maintain backwards compatibility with RQ2, bring the Runes directly into the game mechanics, and provide incentives for character immersion into the setting.

Chaosium's Jeff Richard has posted some 'designer notes' regarding its upcoming edition of RuneQuest (slated for a Gen Con release in August). In those notes, he discusses the four primary design goals: set it in Glorantha, maintain backwards compatibility with RQ2, bring the Runes directly into the game mechanics, and provide incentives for character immersion into the setting.

rq-character-sheet-excerpt.jpg

You can read the full thing here.

In other new RuneQuest news, Steve Perrin has joined the design team. Chaosium's president, Rick Meints, said that "We knew that Steve Perrin’s place at the table, as both the creator and lead author of the original groundbreaking ‘78 and ‘79 editions of game, was a natural fit that harkens back to the genius and originality of RuneQuest." The team now includes Sandy Petersen (Call of Cthulhu), Ken Rolston (Paranoia, Elder Scrolls, RQ3), Chris Klug (James Bond 007 RPG, DragonQuest) and Jason Durral (BRP, Conan).

“We want to usher in the newest exploration of Glorantha with a tribute to the masterpiece opus of work that has come before. Part of Steve's role is to help insure that this edition contains the best possible game mechanics while maintaining backwards compatibility with RuneQuest 2", said Jeff Richard, creative director at Chaosium.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I like how they are using conflicted gauges for the various runes / personality traits. That leads to a lot of serious questions about who your character is, and it looks like that will be well tied into the mechanics.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I believe he did.

I like the idea of getting the runes involved in RQ I tried to do it homebrew with a d&d RQ mash up in the 80s (horrible result). I think the 13th age glorantha did it a bit (don't own it).

Looking forward to the result.

Remove ads

Remove ads