Minsc & Boo In Ravenloft?

I'm not personally familiar with the Dungeons & Dragons comic book line from IDW, but it's relaunching in April with Dungeons & Dragons #1... and it's going to star Baldur's Gate's Minsc and his pet miniature giant space hamster, Boo. In Ravenloft. For those not familiar, Minsc is a ranger from the popular D&D video game series of the late 1990s, and is famous for the line "Go for the eyes, Boo!" Ravenloft, of course, is the setting for the upcoming D&D adventure Curse of Strahd, based on the original AD&D adventure by Tracy and Laura Hickman. An unlikely mix, you might think!

DnD01a.jpg

Minsc and Boo are comedic characters, whereas Ravenloft is not well-known for it's light-hearted jocularity. Comic book writer Jim Zub says that that makes for a great story. "Testing his boisterous idealism against the dreary despair inherent in the Ravenloft setting is a fun way to create both humor and dramatic tension. Add in the rest of our Baldur’s Gate adventuring crew, and a new cleric as well, and it becomes a really fun dynamic to work with."

The comic book features the heroes getting involved in a "nasty caper that involves werewolves, skeletons, vampire servants, and a troublesome relic taken from Ravenloft" before being pulled into the Realm of Terror by the mists. "From there it’s just a misty moment away from being pulled into the Realm of Terror..."Interestingly, this is also a very strong implication that Barovia is, indeed, a demiplane in its own right.

Dungeons & Dragons #1 will be available in April, and is written by Jim Zub and Nelson Daniel.

[video=youtube;X8lLruVR2zQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8lLruVR2zQ[/video]​

hive_mind

Explorer
According to Jeremy Crawford, "Barovia is where the DMG (p. 51) says it is: in a demiplane of shadow and dread." So we don't need to imply anything, we KNOW Barovia is a demiplane.

I imagine it’ll be either a miniseries or one that just stops suddenly, given IDW’s last few D&D comics. I’ll be curious to see how Jim Zub handles it. Skullkickers' writing went from great to meh at the end.

The question is, will this just be a 5-issue arc again, or an ongoing?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases