The Most Straightforward Modern OSR Game Available?

OSR fans might find The Black Hack from David Black interesting. Based on the original edition of D&D in the 1970s, it claims to be "the most straightforward modern OSR compatible clone available". It's short - 20 half-sized pages - and is on Kickstarter right now, already funded. David has kindly sent me along an exclusive preview of the game!

OSR fans might find The Black Hack from David Black interesting. Based on the original edition of D&D in the 1970s, it claims to be "the most straightforward modern OSR compatible clone available". It's short - 20 half-sized pages - and is on Kickstarter right now, already funded. David has kindly sent me along an exclusive preview of the game!

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 20.25.24.png

Screen Shot 2016-02-13 at 20.25.45.png

You can find the Kickstarter here. If fast and streamlined is your thing, this is certainly an option. The rewards seem very generous - £1 for the PDF, or £5 for the print version - and bonus stretch goals like printed character sheets, a micro-setting, and a GMs screen have already been unlocked. Given the low buy-in, it seems like a no-brainer for fans of this style of game.

Zarithar

Adventurer
Not to sound overly snarky or harsh, but how many OSR clones can the hobby support? There are so many of them out there now and I wonder how many are actually played by more than a few dozen people. If you want to play White Box D&D then what is stopping you? It is now widely available. Changing terminology such as armor class to armor points or cleric to priest doesn't make the latest knockoff original or innovative in any meaningful way.

Dire Bare

Legend
Not to sound overly snarky or harsh, but how many OSR clones can the hobby support? There are so many of them out there now and I wonder how many are actually played by more than a few dozen people. If you want to play White Box D&D then what is stopping you? It is now widely available. Changing terminology such as armor class to armor points or cleric to priest doesn't make the latest knockoff original or innovative in any meaningful way.

If you're right, and you might be, that the audience for each OSR game is relatively small . . . so what? If I have an idea for a game, with my own system or modifying an existing system, it's so easy to publish and share this with others of like mind, why not? If a dozen folks love it, that's a success in my book, as actually making enough money to pay the rent isn't likely to happen regardless of what style of game I produce.

Innovation? Innovation is overrated. Clone me some D&D, but do it well, and you'll gather my interest. Besides, I actually think cloning White Box D&D to a modern game is actually pretty innovative.

Small-run digital publishers, keep at it! Make the games you want to make, and hopefully you'll enjoy the bonus of finding an appreciative audience.

DavidBlack

First Post

You know I was worried about the same thing, would my Retro clone be the one that collapsed the rpg hobby? What if The Black Hack was the straw that broke the camels back and nobody could rpg anymore? I was torn. But then 250 people backed it and go it to 500% funded (in a week). Phew!

Well, I'm in at the $20 level ($33 with shipping). It sounds fun and interesting. I've been playing D&D for a long time. I have played OD&D, 1E, 2E, 3E, 3.5E and Pathfinder. I still have my originals from 1974+, I picked up the reprint of the original game, and the PDFs being released by WotC as they come out. As well as later editions (and a number of clones), including 5E (which looks to be my current system). I have no problem with another OSR game :)

the_redbeard

Explorer

You're not getting how few people playing OSR games run without house rules. We'll borrow from one system, and port it to another. Another retro clone is another pile of jigsaw pieces to make up our puzzles with. Or alternately (given how short this one is), a new chassis upon which to throw parts of other versions. I even use pieces of OSR games in my 5e game.

Since there isn't much (or any) corporate infrastructure behind each game, whether the hobby can "support" a certain game is immaterial. They're offered to the community by the authors, and the community takes what it wants and leaves the rest.

Remove ads

Remove ads