For gaming fans looking to get the low-down on upcoming product releases, GENCON provides the perfect opportunity to meet-and-greet their favorite publishers and authors. In seminar after seminar, mainstream and indie publishers offer tantalizing glimpses into new game designs and news about product lines due to be released over the coming year.
Best of all, many of these seminars offer a chance to speak directly with publishers and game designers, providing a live forum for asking questions and giving feedback about a Role-playing game or system.
- Don't forget our little Stat Stanta competition. Stats win prizes!
- Also BATTLE OF THE BARDS finishes tomorrow - make sure you vote!
14 Free Tabletop RPG Demos or Playtests to Download for ChristmasIt's nearly Christmas, and the news is necessarily slowing down. In the meantime, here is a quick list of a few FREE demos, quick-start rules, playtests, or betas which you can legally download and play over the holidays. Why not pick one and give it a try?
- D&D Next - levels 1-20 of the game, plus the adventure The Mud Sorcerer's Tomb.
- 13th Age - a two-hour demo, form-fillable character sheet, and an adventure by Rob Heinsoo.
- Pathfinder Mythic Adventures - playtest document of Pathfinder's "epic rules" book.
- Eleventh Hour - an Only War (a Warhammer 40,000 variant) adventure and rules summary from Free RPG Day.
- All Flesh Must Be Eaten - introductory game kit which includes streamlined game rules, six characters, and a complete adventure called The Waking Dead.
- Hollow Earth Expedition - basic rules, and a couple of free adventures from Free RPG Days 2008 and 2009, along with a bunch of other resources.
- Dragon Age - RPG quick start guide PDF. Rules, and adventurem and pre-generated characters.
- Savage Worlds - "test drive rules", character handouts, and the adventure The Wild Hunt.
- GURPS 4E Lite - a 32-page distillation of the basic GURPS rules.
- Star Frontiers - a bunch of free PDFs, including the Alpha Dawn rulebook, various supplements and guides, and more.
- Eclipse Phase - quick start rules, character sheets, and loads of resources.
- Stars Without Numbers - a "retro science fiction role playing game".
- Basic Fantasy RPG - full core rules, supplements, and adventures for a rules-light game based on RPGs of the early 80s.
- Shadowrun 4E - quick start rules which include an adventure, Food Fight 4.0.
Thanks to darjr and edemaitre for helping me compile this list!
- The New Player Pack contains a selection of low-level consumable items, such as healing potions, scrolls, weapon enchants, and maps. In addition, the character gains a bag of holding to allow them to carry more equipment, a ring of protection to boost their defenses, and a small amount of coinage to get the character started. The pack is included with any pledge of $35 or higher to the Pathfinder Online Kickstarter.
- I've restored our review of the Pathfinder Beginner Box to the reviews section as part of our ongoing effort to rebuild EN World.
- Paizo's holding a sale until the end of January. Use the holiday13 promotional code on a single order through paizo.com and receive 10% off your entire order.
- It's the last day for the Midgard Bundle from Kobold Press' store. For $59 you get the setting and bestiary for Pathfinder in both softcover and PDF formats. Also there is a Seafaring Bundle which has four "nautical" releases.
Roleplaying Games News
- The Star Wars: Edge of Empire Beginner Game is now available. "The Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game features a complete, learn-as-you-go adventure. Pre-generated character folios keep rules right at the your fingertips, while custom dice and an exciting narrative gameplay system make every roll into a story. The rules provide hours of entertainment as you tell your own tales of a galaxy far, far away." The included adventure has your players navigating the streets of a small Tatooine town in search of a spaceship.
- Tools for Frontier Living is a an equipment book for the Traveller RPG, and is available in PDF format.
- Deadlands Noir is now available in PDF and print pre-order. It includes "...new Edges, Hindrances, and powers, as well as new rules for handling detective work, the state of the Union and the CSA in the Depression era, a complete Plot Point campaign, and of course, more monsters and ghouls than you can shake a smoking .45 automatic at."
- Check out this review of Sean Patrick Fannon's Shantair: Legends Arise Player's Guide.