Check Out These Peeks At CURSE OF STRAHD
  • Check Out These Peeks At CURSE OF STRAHD

Curse of Strahd is approaching fast. Here's a few quick, early peeks at the book itself, and of one of the miniatures from Gale Force Nine! These include the book, a glimpse of the fold-out map, Strahd's miniature astride is Nightmare steed, the full set of Tarokka cards, and some art from the book.

Folks out map at the back of the book

The book itself

Strahd on his Nightmare steed

Tarokka cards (separately from Game Force Nine)

Awesome art

More awesome art
    SaveSaveSaveSave
    Comments 37 Comments
      Z. H. Darkstar -
      I'm more curious about that piece of paper that says "Secret D&D" on it. :P

But in all seriousness, I can't wait to pick up my copy. And not just because it's being comped in exchange for bearing the costs of DDAL modules for my FLGS.
      GrumpyGamer -
      The date of June 2016 looks to be deliberately left visible as well.

Curse of Strahd is the first adventure path from WoTC that really has me excited. I can't wait for my gaming group to play through it. These images only make me more interested.
      jamesjhaeck -
      Oh, the floating glass in the mirror is fantastic. I didn't notice it the first time I saw that image.
      smiteworks -
      Before I noticed that it was the fold-out map, I thought it might have been for a proof where the map was upside down.
      Z. H. Darkstar -
      Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGamer View Post
      The date of June 2016 looks to be deliberately left visible as well.

Curse of Strahd is the first adventure path from WoTC that really has me excited. I can't wait for my gaming group to play through it. These images only make me more interested.
      Well the instructions that came with the Death House Launch Event stated that this season ends on 6/19/16, which is the Sunday of Origins Game Fair and when the Season 5 AL preview event is being held.
      Ralif Redhammer -
      It really is an awesome piece. The "wine"glass is a great touch.

It would make a great framed print...right next to Vigo, the Scourge of Carpathia, the Sorrow of Moldavia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumblejacks View Post
      Oh, the floating glass in the mirror is fantastic. I didn't notice it the first time I saw that image.
      MrHotter -
      It looks like his nightmare horse will play more of a role in this version of Ravenloft. I don't remember him in the original module besides finding him in the crypts.
    1. Istbor -
      Looks great. Vampires as they were meant to be!
      Ganymede81 -
      While the map has a new art style, it appears to have the same overall layout as the Village of Barovia map from 3.5e

Quote Originally Posted by Ralif Redhammer View Post
      It would make a great framed print...right next to Vigo, the Scourge of Carpathia, the Sorrow of Moldavia.
      Who would want a print of Vigo the Butch?
      gweinel -
      Also this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cbm5Y9AUAAATQS-.jpg from Chriss Perkins twitter account
      Xavian Starsider -
      I only count 45 cards. To be the full deck, wouldn't there be 54?
      darjr -
      I thought someone said 54. That picture might not be all of them.
      Olgar Shiverstone -
      I want cool isometric maps.
      chibi graz'zt -
      I want all of you to know that I specifically asked Wizards to bring back pull out maps; they do listen to feedback on those surveys :-)
      The Grassy Gnoll -
      Nice to make more use of the nightmare steed, definitely. Re: Barovia, looks pretty similar to I6 but nicer art style.

(I say all of this as being That Guy who already started a 5e conversion of I6 before the announcement of CoS...so seeing not too many changes is a relief!)
      The Grassy Gnoll -
      Quote Originally Posted by gweinel View Post
      Also this: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cbm5Y9AUAAATQS-.jpg from Chriss Perkins twitter account

That's from Death House, available from Dragon+
      dave2008 -
      Yes, unfortunately I like Chris's version better than the color version in the adventure! It's so crisp and clean. However, I do have one issue with the design of the house:

Spoiler:

The house clearly has an attic/4th floor from the exterior image, thus clearly known to anyone who is entering the house. Yet, the only access to the attic is via a secret door. It's not much of a secret if you know its going to be there somewhere. Not a big issue, but it bother's me a little.
      jayoungr -
      Quote Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
      However, I do have one issue with the design of the house:
      Re your spoiler, it could be seen as a feature rather than a bug.

Spoiler:

People who previously visited the house wouldn't have thought about going to the attic anyway, unless they were invited there for some reason. And for the adventuring party, it will make the players feel really clever if they notice it and realize that they have to search for secret doors.
      dave2008 -
      Quote Originally Posted by jayoungr View Post
      Re your spoiler, it could be seen as a feature rather than a bug.
      Well I didn't say it was a bug, just that I had an issue with it. I'm all for secret passages (there are more in the house as well), but I prefer they be well - secret. I see how it could be a feature for the adventure (that way the PCs know to look for a door), I just don't understand the reason for someone putting in a secret door to a location everyone knows is there.
      Z. H. Darkstar -
      Quote Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
      Well I didn't say it was a bug, just that I had an issue with it. I'm all for secret passages (there are more in the house as well), but I prefer they be well - secret. I see how it could be a feature for the adventure (that way the PCs know to look for a door), I just don't understand the reason for someone putting in a secret door to a location everyone knows is there.
      Even in modern houses, the doors to the attic are not always in plain sight. At my parents' house, the primary door to the attic was in plain sight in the garage, but a secondary access panel was hidden in my brother's closet. In my brother's house, the only attic access panel is once again hidden in his closet.
    Comments Leave Comment